Post pics of your Beam Shots (HIDs ONLY) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post pics of your Beam Shots (HIDs ONLY)

Im collecting info here and there to make an HID thread (All you need to know) type deal, and I would love to have some beam shots to post in there. Plus I think this would be a nifty thread.

Remember, HIDs only. Any gen X, any style headlights! (Stock, Diamond-Cuts, Projectors, ETC)

(If you do not want your pictures copied into another thread, simply add that to your post; not all pics will be used. Just a few.)

These were my HORRIBLE 6000k eBay HIDs, in my CCFL Halo Projectors:

Just my 10,000k fogs:
2011-01-01184243.jpg

6000k eBay HIDs before aiming:
2011-01-01184302.jpg

Both
2011-01-01184314.jpg

2011-01-01221252.jpg

2011-01-01221600.jpg

The pictures really define the glares mine had for some reason. It wasnt so choppy in person. Now I have a set of 5000k Retro-Solutions Digital HIDs, and its amazing. They still need to be aimed, which I need to figure out how, but its so much better over the eBay kit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's mine, 6000k hids in the aftermarket clear housings...sorry for the terrible iPhone quality pics lol

NOTE my passenger side headlight is terribly misaligned because the alignment adjuster thing is broken, so it's pretty much aimed where it wants to be right now haha

just lows:
9a27e359.jpg

lows and stock halogen fogs:
aba6d941.jpg

lows and fogs, backed up a bit:
bf9c8c77.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

what kind of headlights are you using? Those the projectors on your old one, or a projector retrofit into your new one?

I'm pretty sure that pic was from his old 2nd gen (Todd has a 3rd gen now, but that photo he posted sure looks famililar).

If so, his setup was identical to mine. I get similar cutoff and beam pattern to his. I don't take night time photos myself as I feel the photos never capture reality anyhow. I rarely take photos of my truck anyhow.

Here's my setup. Tweak, tweak and more tweaking will get it right. I use 4300K H1 HIDs in the lowebeams. Osram halogens in the highs.

lights_front_4_EF_.jpg

...I feel the photos never capture reality anyhow.

I second that. I did still snap some pics of mine; but the picture honestly makes it look terrible. It really defines the imperfections IMO.

I have my headlights aimed vertically just about perfect, besides the passenger one, its sitting higher now for some reason (I think the little snaps on the bottom of the housing popped out)

As for horizontally, theyre aimed very close together (I cannot figure out how to aim mine side to side)

Theres only 1 adjustment screw on mine that pulls the projector out or in.

NO adjustments to the highbeams. If I could go back, I would order the pair of projectors like Celly has (But in black.) I really wanted these ones for the better CCFL Halo's, and I liked the parking light setup better.

2011-02-09234303.jpg

This is why you dont buy eBay HIDs
2011-01-28150310.jpg

These had less than 60 hours on them.

The only downfall im having is that my passenger side is dark since the lights are aimed inward.
2011-02-08230310.jpg

Nice! What projectors are those?

Yes you can post a link......Nice looking!!!

Yes you can post a link......Nice looking!!!

added the link, only reason I usually stay away from posting links is because different forums have different rules and I havent been here for a while and didn't remember if it falls under advertising etc etc :p: just being safe :biggthump

*EDIT* Nvm, found them:)
I really want todo a retrofit, and I think I might over the summer.

Can you pull up to a wall and take some pictures, im really curious to see the patterns these put out.

Alien, did you go with the kid with HIDs, or just the projectors?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I would like to get black housings like this to put it in; but I wonder if I could fit them in my projector housings, but im scared to bake them :(

What I did, (mind you I have an 07, so its a little bit different of a headlight) was purchase two used one off ebay, (unfortunately i had to get 3 since one had a terrible lens to it) and initially tried to bake it, but the housing itself melted before the sealant, sooooo I grabbed a heat gun and just sat there heating where the sealant was and pried it open, took like 3 hours for the two of them.

In terms of the guts of the headlights themselves, I went with the kit if you will, I really emailed them and we set up my own particular kit since back then the website was rather option less (no drop down stuff if you will) what I ended up getting was the pair of FX-r projectors, a harness, bulbs/ballasts and the shrouds.

Pretty much they are all basically universal pieces, so no matter what headlight you put them in they will work. Just the one thing to keep in mind is the size of them (the FX-r's I believe have a 2.5 inch lens itself, and then the body of it is a little bigger) so just check on the dimensions of the housing your putting them in. And if its too small the housing, the morimoto minis are even smaller to my knowledge.

Unfortunately I didnt take pictures of the process, but just take your time and do your research, and when you do get around to retrofitting just take it slow and it will end up fine. I know mine look pretty nice, but really if it wouldnt be such a bother I'd love to redo them and fix them up, since really I just wanted to get them in and done :p: I'll be floating around, so if you have any other concerns/questions just let me know :thumbsup:

Edit: Oh and in terms of the wall shot, i'll see if i can get one monday
Edit 2: sorry if anything seems odd grammer/etc wise its 3 AM over here

Thank you so much! I think im just gonna go with the 315$ all in one kit, (HIDs, ballasts, shrouds, projectors, etc)

Whats the difference with the lenses on the projectors?

I believe they'll fit in 2nd gen housings (With a Dremmel :p:), I was reading up on the How-To's last night, you got me really damn excited after seeing those pictures.

Also, are those the Bi-Xenon ones, or just lows?

Thank you so much! I think im just gonna go with the 315$ all in one kit, (HIDs, ballasts, shrouds, projectors, etc)

Whats the difference with the lenses on the projectors?

I believe they'll fit in 2nd gen housings (With a Dremmel :p:), I was reading up on the How-To's last night, you got me really damn excited after seeing those pictures.

Also, are those the Bi-Xenon ones, or just lows?

Other than size, theres not much of a difference unless your getting an OEM projector (FX-rs are re-engineered infiniti FX45 projectors, that they also sell) since alot of OEM projector come with smoked/grooved/etc lens (ACTUALLY just the other day I was at the ford dealer and the new Lincoln projectors have the emblem etched into them, I thought it was pretty sick) you would need a clear lens upgrade for you to achieve that blue line that is pictured.

I actually had to use this insane dremmel that my dad had, it was like a dremmel on steroids. it just kept breaking the little discs lolol :p:

And they are the Bi-Xenon ones, and I had taken a picture of it... just it didnt really do it justice in my driveway, I'll take a better one monday night/ relatively soon depending on when I can get around to it.

Also, just as a little heads up I have a 55 watt kit (the 5five ballasts/bulbs) it wont be a massive difference between the 35 watt kit and 55 watt, but it is obviously a tad brighter and it washes some of the bulb's color out, mine happen to be 6000K but there isn't much of a blue tint at all its just white really. Besides brightness, the only other difference is heat so just be aware of that :thumbsup:

I'll be floating around if you need anymore help :D

Thanks man you've been such a help, this project is getting done as soon as my trans gets rebuilt :D

I had already planned on the 55w HID kit, since I think it was only like 5$ more on the site, im gonna go with a 6000k kit, just to pretty much match my current 5000k 35w kit.

Are those the Gatling shrouds? And your lenses arent the ones that come with the kit? That blue line doesnt matter much to me, but I want a crisp cutoff, nothing blurry.

(I was looking at the Acura forums and almost all theyre shots were showing very blurry cutoffs)

Yup they are gatling shrouds, but any of the shrouds offer will work just pick the one you like :D
And no, the lens is what came attached to the projector when I got it from T.R.S. what I was saying is that if you were to go out an buy scraped headlights from a lexus/bmw/etc the lens' on those projectors often times have some sort of design/etching in them so they aren't crystal clear which means they do not get that blue tint in the cutoff line. And in terms of blurriness, well to me I don't think its very "blurry" (the 03 gmc yukon denali that I put a plug and play kit in those projector housings it has is pretty blurry) but at the same time its not like a crystal clear cutoff, funny enough I saved a few pictures from HIDplanet (i think...) of the cutoff line of the FX-r and some cheaper plug and play projectors that you can get off ebay.

FX-r
dsc2605h.jpg

Plug and play projector for comparison
dsc2720h.jpg

other style of plug and play projector
dsc2728h.jpg

Obviously all credit goes to JVX, and I'll try to get some of my own when I get the rest of the requested pictures, I'll also get some comparison shots between my car/a few others with stock projectors. :thumbsup:

That is a whole lot of color on that cutoff, beautiful:thumbsup:

Thanks Alienman, that is just what I was looking for.

FX-R projectors here also. I apologize as for the light output is a little blurry and I have since upgrade to Philips 85122+ D2S Bulbs and 55watt ballast.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

Here's my horrible beam pattern with 5K DDM Tuning 55W 9007 hi/low kit in some Anzo clear housings. I can't afford projectors so I went back to halogens. I know the OP requested no halogen pics but this is just for comparison purposes.

HID's

2011-03-22_20-15-47_35.jpg

Halogens

2011-03-28_20-15-49_521.jpg

If its for comparison purposes, its totally cool man. Those are some damn good halogens compared to the HIDs, what halogen bulbs are those?

Back