Project - "Rock Trac" Restoration | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project - "Rock Trac" Restoration

Well the original plan when I bought John's truck was to go ahead and disassemble it and use it for parts for mine. I decided instead to go ahead and keep it together and replace what needed to be replaced, and mine can still stay the road queen that it is hah.

So I thought I'd post up some pictures so far....

How the Trac stood when we arrived to pick her up.

Another...

Getting her loaded up on my Tahoe...

Randall trying to figure out where we can stuff more of the parts that go with her...

Kris double checking Randall's tie down work to make sure it doesn't fly off while we're driving back home :)

Late night entry into the garage after a very long haul to Houston and back home - Large thanks for Kris and Randall for all their help

Current status in my garage

As you can see, a little bit of rust, but we'll go ahead and go over that with some good old rustolem

Header panel on the drivers side cracked and full of holes - hard to keep the headlamp/turn signal and fender back on it

New header panel next

New header panel in my make shift paint booth haha

Needed a new fan clutch

Had to cut the fan shroud off to get the fan clutch off - as John taught me the correct way to rebuild our plastic parts on our Trac's haha - Zip Ties!

More to come as I get further into it. Plan is for this Sunday, Kris will be coming over to assist me in taking the superlift off the front and dropping it back down to original suspension up front as the superlift knuckles are ruined.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so a small update, but an update. We went out to the shop this past weekend and swapped out the drivers side from inner and outer axle, and both hubs. Then found out, it's the passenger side axles that are broken. What better time than to swap both out lol. Also, stripped the rubber floor out of the parts Trac I bought as it's in practically brand new conditions. I'll install that once the Trac comes back home. As far as the completion date, supposedly the shop says they'll have it done by the end of the month. So we'll see.....

Here are the updated pictures:
d8f9632492b6e248ecaeb6be751d5d26.jpg
9f853bdf04ae8303bc3667d4b3402604.jpg
9084858d5ce796fe0179d59b82ab6369.jpg
e48c9915c9635f1ec4aa123fdf45438e.jpg
9ea964b4f9aa2493343b1741512307a4.jpg
c7233c13e868953ee6a9a275f0cbc486.jpg
496c6f304ce56816d0f3e8f7fccc979c.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nice flop... John would have done the same as you, get it back on the road and go for it :D

The flop looks all too familiar!

q3.jpg

Char still hasn't let me forget that I flopped it on "her" side :D

So here's the latest pictures from a few weeks ago.

ccac39b378e10692bf71d56095a13e03.jpg
005bf3c6d663aa335111f4f1375d072d.jpg
5c5d7399837b20a0827c2939a3513652.jpg
d5715ef4aaf43a3055928e94f7635b7c.jpg
d95fbee7ceb24da039d63a5e479047dd.jpg

Talked to Larry (owner of the shop where the Trac is at) and all the body work as of now is done. They've got some painting to finish and a day of putting her on the frame machine (already measured out) and should be completed with in the week. I'm pretty excited.

Sweet, can't wait to see the Trac reborn again. Lol

TxPlates - Any updates on your Trac?

Great news, I'm guessing they removed the sliders to straighten the frame and realm ing the body on it.

It's fitting that the Trac be done next week. :salute:

Got the Trac back I see. Looks good.

Looks great man. Looking on my phone but is the draglink bowed up? Guessing from the accident.

im going to be that guy that says i kinda liked it when it was all marked up and dull. now the only reason why i say that is because you knew it was johns truck, and every mark that was on it, he put there. sorry if i sound like the guy that hates on everything, but to me, johns soul is no longer in it

I liked the dents and scratches too (added character) but John fixed the truck numerous times over the years so he would've wanted it to be fixed after this last tumble on its side.

I kept as much of the parts I could that were original, just would have looked silly with certain parts replaced and painted and the rest dented and scratched. Believe me, I want to keep as much as possible of it as it was the way John had her (like the red grill, the emblems he took apart and painted...etc). But there also has been a lot that had to be replaced since I picked it up after it sat for awhile after he had the accident near Dallas with the tire falling off. I think he'd be proud of the way she is. With the help of the Demon4x4 crew, we've done a lot of work to preserve the Trac and do upgrades we knew he wanted to do. If you'll remember she now has the 5.0 V8 that was in his Explorer limited, so it's not like I've tried to destroy what was his. Just doing my best to take care of her and keep her alive.

Back