Rear locker opinion poll | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear locker opinion poll

Which is the better all around rear locker?

• Total voters
Iz, I see your line of thinking. I am only speaking from experience with a lock rite locker.

I don't see how the locker would separate when applying power to it. I have been almost straight up and down, and it did not slip once. I have been over almost every terrain you can think of with it now, from Moab to the wet loose MTN climbs in CO, to the back woods in my area, it has never slipped. It is fully locked. It might not be spooled, or welded to one pc, but the mesh is so that it would be impossible to separate and slip when on the throttle. The springs are small, just enough to separate it with no power applied. This is how it is on mine. I cant speak for all the rest out there. I dont think one needs to spend a small fortune to get the results they want. If your going with a massive build, then I imagine you have the money in the first place, so go for the expensive stuff. But if your like me, and have very little to no money, I believe the lunchbox lockers are the way to go.
Totally agree with you about the economics of this whole thing - The Aussie is hands down the best bang for the buck.

Quick question though, are you running it in the front or the back?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Totally agree with you about the economics of this whole thing - The Aussie is hands down the best bang for the buck.

Quick question though, are you running it in the front or the back?

Running it in the rear only. Front is still open. I wish I could get a LS set up in the front for my 2nd gen, but I don't know of anyone that has or makes a LS for the front. If my rig ever becomes a Trailer only wheeler, than it will get another lunchbox in the front.

Stronger axles as well are in the near future.

My opinions-

Dedicated trail rig
rear axle = spool
front axle = manual -ARB or OX(or spool again if it has manual hubs)

Weekend warrior on a budget = Lunchbox lockers (whatever brand you get the best deal on)
Weekend warrior with cash to burn = ARB's

...It sounds like an ARB up front and a Detroit in the rear may just be the best combo and, you get OBA...:D

For everything but the install, Detroit all the way. Rarely do you hear of any problems, they function the same as any of the other automatic lockers out there and once again bombproof. Finally, they make Detroits for 5-ton axles so they must be doing something right. Might be more expensive than any of the other auto-lockers but reputation of reliability kinda makes them shine.

Manuals- ARBs are nice but you must be meticulous in their setup or you will have problems. E-lockers, I have heard horror stories of the ball and ramp not locking and breaking stuff. Ox locker, pretty bullet proof, but the install can be a rip snorting ordeal.

Does Auburn make the Ected for the 14 bolt? Limited slip to pretty much full lock. Maybe a good option.

I have had a detroit in the rear of the last 3 vehicles, 2 of which were DDs. There is no learning curve with driving it, just go... It's strong, not limited to tire size and will not fail you. I will have a detroit in every rear axle I ever own.

From what I've read, lunch box type lockers have a limit to the size of tire you can use. If this is going on a full-size blazer, you shouldn't be running less than 35s anyway so... :)

For the front, I always have and always will get an L/S. I don't like the open or locked of the ARB or lunch box style. If the detroit e-locker was not known for it's problems I would get that since it's an L/S until you lock it.

Poor mans dedicated trail rig = welded

I run this. It works great on the trail sucks driving around town though. However my truck sees more dirt then street so it is no biggy to me. My turning radius howere is a mile. It started as soon as I welded the rear. It is cheapest as well.

Poor mans trail/ driver = lunch box or detroit.

Ran both. Lunch box is the cheaper and worked for me. Detroit worked well as well. Only big downside with a detroit is they are know to break if an axle shaft is broken running one. Both seemed to drive the same. Affected turning radius some but not like a spool has.

Hardcore off road or money to burn driver = ARB

Being able to run open when needed opens you up to all kinds of things. Add cutting brakes and you can do some crazy things.

If you see icy roads full time lockers can make things interesting to say the least.

I won't vote,,,,yet.

I just installed an Aussie (and re-geared) and completed my first off road run with it.

Off road, it works, period.

Getting to the trails is another story. It seems to create torque steer. I expected something on freeway curves when getting on and off the accelerator but I didn't expect it when going straight.

On sweeping curves you have under-steer on the gas and over-steer when coasting.

When going straight with the tent trailer, it would jump to the right, then come back straight. If you reacted to the jump to the right, you would be over-corrected when it straightenend out. Hard to get used to.

I'm still evaluating, just didn't have the scratch for a selectable. :rolleyes:

If the locker is jumping around like that in a straight line, you probably need to check your tolerances. The aussie in the rear of my sport trac did that, because I first put it together without the side gear shims (wouldn't fit). Because it was out of tolerance, it eventually gave up. Aussie sent me a free replacement, and I had to hammer it in with the side gear shims. However after that it worked AWESOME. Never a problem with, smoother than my friends with detroit lockers. I liked it so much that I installed a front aussie locker too after a while.

So I vote for aussie if they make them for your axle (they have no tire size restriction as I recall), the have good customer service and they are a great value. They are also very tolerable on a daily driver (better with an automatic).

If you have a desire to spend a little more, I would go with a detroit.
I would run a detroit or something in the back of my F150, but a set of 35's on 18's runs about $1500 and I don't want to scrub these tires off so quick. lol

If you see icy roads full time lockers can make things interesting to say the least.

Hah. See now I loved the aussie in the rear, on icy and snowy roads. Oversteer, yes. Predictable and controllable, absofreakinlutely. After the install of the front aussie, things were a little awkward on snow/ice but it worked.

If the locker is jumping around like that in a straight line, you probably need to check your tolerances. The aussie in the rear of my sport trac did that, because I first put it together without the side gear shims (wouldn't fit). Because it was out of tolerance, it eventually gave up. Aussie sent me a free replacement, and I had to hammer it in with the side gear shims. However after that it worked AWESOME. Never a problem with, smoother than my friends with detroit lockers. I liked it so much that I installed a front aussie locker too after a while.

Randy's R&P installed it when they put in new gears. They said it was .157" right in the middle of the spec from Aussie.

It does twitch sideways without the tent trailer, just more disconcerting with an extra 1500lbs.

Should I re-shim??

Randy's R&P installed it when they put in new gears. They said it was .157" right in the middle of the spec from Aussie.

It does twitch sideways without the tent trailer, just more disconcerting with an extra 1500lbs.

Should I re-shim??

Interesting. I don't know if it is worth doing or not. But mine did that occasionally when the tolerances were too wide. It happened more and more until it wore the teeth down a little, and would occasionally completely freewheel when I punched the gas. I would be cruising down the free way and it would go "BANG!" and feel like someone hit me, and change directions for a second. My friends lock-rite does that too. I could understand that it may do it on rare occasions, as you are at a steady load on the highway, it is staying locked and building up torsional twist on the axles after some time, then eventually has to unload itself by unlocking a bit.
Anyway, as I said I no problems after I installed a new one that was tighter than spec, even towing a fully loaded 6x14 enclosed (maybe 4k lbs) trailer from Oregon to Kentucky.
You could call the manufacturer and see what they have to say about it. I was unable to find any different side gear shims. Everyone told me that whatever is in there is what you get. I tried several gears shops, tried to order 'similar sized' and everything with no luck. I finally just shoved the center pin in and hit it with a hammer (sounds bad I know) until it was in. I have heard of several others who had this problem with the 31 spline 8.8 and the aussie locker, where the tolerances were too tight.

Waiting out a wreck in Wyoming, earlier (and later) we were driving on 3"+ of fresh snow, lots of ice and 40+mph winds, no problems with this even in 4x4 with front and rear aussie lockers. And no problems on the other 2000 miles on dry and/or wet roads towing with it.
ws1.jpg

Thanks.

There's no sound, just a gentle veer to either right of left and I'm not getting on the gas very hard. I'm starting to get used to it but wanted to know if it was 'normal' for a lunchbox.

I read about the manufacturer spec being a little wide and folks getting better results at the narrower end of the spec.

Air in your tire and wear can effect the locker function as well. This is probably old news but be sure to have pressure within 2 psi or so and be sure to rotate tire often. So they remain all the same.

I voted detroit

their reputation speaks for itself, a bit pricey but worth the $$$
in a rear axle the detroit is the best option IMO

So you ask yourself, why is he running ARB lockers then?
I have a one word answer for you

SNOW

I drive my BII in the snow ALOT, and my wife drives her FJ in the snow ALOT, so we love open differentials when the roads are icey, with the arb you can just flip a switch and lock in the rear when you need the traction..

If we didnt have snow I would go detroit in a heart beat

i voted Detroit

ive had one in the rear for a few years now with no problems.

strong, reliable, cheap (compared to ARB and OX) i dont think ive heard any big problems with them and there well known for a reason. only problem i have is every once in a while the rear will make a "snap" on turn when it clicks to both wheels locked. maybe thats cause i have manuel trans. never had that problem in my uncles bronco with detroit.

had an aussie in the front. broke it. think my tolerances were a little off :dunno:

I'm looking into getting a Lock-Right rear diff locker, A guy over here bought it then sold his X. It's still in the box & he's asking less than 1/2 price ($200). Would this be a good deal & how hard are they to DIY?
I only go 4bing twice a month on average, but do get into some umm tight places, shall we say LOL.
No-one has said to much about these as yet, so just putting it out there.

Back