• Register Today It's free!

Rear Window Detachable?

HKUNZ

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I was driving around the small town i live in and saw an s10 blazer with the back glass lifted up, and thought i wonder if mine can just "pop" in and out. I also thought "i got nothin to loose" because the struts don't work anyway. But before i do this, i want to see if anybody else thinks this is a bad idea, or if somebody else has done it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would not try it .....( just me ) but even if the struts were in good shape all it takes is a good pot hole or something else to slam the glass back down on the hatch .even tho it has a plastic hook the metal clasp on the hatch would i imagine break at that point and either shear off the handle or shear the handle then shatter the glass in one swift move.

if you do try it i would at least put a bungy on the glass to help either slow it from slamming down or preventing it from doing so to see how it rides with the glass up .

ahh..... i get it now ... after looking at mine and the 4 torx screw bushing you got to remove looks pretty simple ...i guess the only things i would worry about takeing out the glass completly would be if there are any seals behind the bolt and the glass that may get destroyed when you take the glass off and also if it starts to rain then you got to re-install the glass .

i would just leave it alone ( just me ) and besides.... you may run into the situation where you could draw exhaust into the truck as you go down the road .....happened a lot when i had a 79 ramcharger ( same design rear hatch/glass )

I suppose ill give it a shot, im not to worried about the whole exhaust issue, my exhaust leaks somthin aweful underneath the front passenger seat, and i dont even have a tailpipe (it fell off one day) but its pretty hot here in JoCo and my A/C dont work so ive got the windows down even when it rains so if it doesnt work out ill just slap it back on there. But ill try and get some pics posted up there. How do i post pics up when im not Elite?

use a photobucket acct ...it's free .when you got a acct and pics uploaded to pb then when you post in a thread you'll want to go back to the pic on pb and look for the " img" code under the pic ...right click on the "img" code and select copy then paste that into your thread post ...simple .

Remove the 2 TOP torx screws, and un clip the Shocks.

and the window is Free...

Ryan

Heres the Green Beast

GreenBeast1.jpg

No pics...

So i took the 20 minutes to take off the glass. It wasnt that hard to take off, just getting it back on there is a real pain. I also found that only one of the struts was bad instead of both. However once it was off, I thouht it seemed to be a pretty cool idea that just needs some more thought. Its not a quick on and off thing, but with a bit of fab work on the hinges it could easily become detachable.

Make sure the rubber bushing on teh TORX hardware is in good shpe. If you slightly tighten the Metal hardware on the glass. it will shatter

Back