roof console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

roof console

goofychickn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer eb
I have a 06 EB that is leaking from the light switch on the upper console. How do you remove the console? Not sure if its the sunroof leaking or something else and want to check before spending money to get it fixed.
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 06 EB that is leaking from the light switch on the upper console. How do you remove the console? Not sure if its the sunroof leaking or something else and want to check before spending money to get it fixed.
Thanks!

Pretty sure its gonna be from the sunroof. Usually is. Check the drains, make sure they are draining.

I was looking at them earlier. They are connected at the front, but the tubes look like they run under the track of the sunroof. Is there a way to check those also or take the lines off and blow air through them?

Thanks for help!

The drain holes are at the front & rear corners of the roof opening. The front ones drain down the A-pillars & come out by the door hinges. It's likely that there's just something clogging the drain path. I had this problem with my '10 Sport Trac also. I blew out the front drain lines with air at about 40lbs of pressure. I then tested it by pouring water from a cup down each side. I also then closed the roof & ran water over it w/the hose while my wife sat inside checking for leaks. After blowing out the lines, I had no leaks at all.

Worst case scenario is that your tubes have come disconnected, which would mean taking apart various interior trim to get to them. Try the easy things first: Clean the whole sunroof area of debris, & blow out the front drains.

Also look into why your sunroof isn't sealing. I'd probably use some weedeater string to plunge the drain lines before using compressed air.

Most individuals that have posted here call for use of guitar string to chase the drains since they are much more flexible than weed eater plastic string.

Thanks for the advice! Now how do you take apart the console? Does the outer piece come off first or inside trim? Don't anytime,break it.

Also look into why your sunroof isn't sealing. I'd probably use some weedeater string to plunge the drain lines before using compressed air.

It never fully seals. That's why it has drain holes.

Thanks for the advice! Now how do you take apart the console? Does the outer piece come off first or inside trim? Don't anytime,break it.

Gently pry it and it will come down.

if its like the overhead on the non/sunroof trucks then there will be 2 bolts under one of the compartments and then you just pull it off... the front is held in by clips.... had mine off when I was modifying the bulbs to led panels

if its like the overhead on the non/sunroof trucks then there will be 2 bolts under one of the compartments and then you just pull it off... the front is held in by clips.... had mine off when I was modifying the bulbs to led panels

The console just popped off when I pried it off. Held on with just clips.
I got some wire and ran it down both drains, so far it seems to have worked.
Guess I will find out next time it rains.

THANKS! I really appreciate all the advice and help from everyone!

here is my recent post about fixing the same leak as you have.

"Update problem fixed! Thanks for the suggestion about the Sat radio ant, that appears to be it. When you look at the ant the back of it where it meets the roof, there is a small 2mm square opening on it's base at the roof line, not sure if this was the cause and area of the water intrusion or not. I do know that this small opening has always been there, because when waxing the truck, it's noticeable. Anyway i filled that opening in with clear RTV and also a small bead of the same RTV around the entire base. Since then we have had rain and no water has found it's way inside. "

Unfortunately my doesn't have the SAT antenna. I did run some wire through the drains and looks like that worked. Haven't had any rain yet( just cold and snow) to see if that fixed all leaks. Drains are a flowing now tho.

Thanks for help tho!

Back