• Register Today It's free!

Servo bore fix

JakePSD

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
How much luck have people had with the servo bore oring fix? My girlfriends explorer has an issue shifting into 2nd or 3rd. It won't shift unless you let off the throttle. At least that's what the previous owner said. Haven't drove it because it had a blown engine when I bought it. Does that sound like my issue? I currently have the engine out and a replacement about ready to be dropped in so dropping the trans won't be that much more work. Where can I get the sleeves to fix it permanently? How much do those run? How hard is it to rebuild the whole thing myself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll check that out. You sure are helpful. You've given me so much knowledge on the timing chain crap too. I appreciate it a lot.

Those tools are pricey. Any idea if a diy mechanic can do a total rebuild in his garage? Just take the case to a shop to bore and sleeve it.

Yes some members have done it, and have used sleeved cases bought off eBay.

Looking at some threads raises a few more questions. Is it feasible to put an entirety different trans in place of the 5r55? I ask this regarding both the 4.0 sohc, as well as the 4.6. I also saw something about aviator engines being different/better. Can I replace the blown 4.6 in my 03 with an aviator motor for a similar cost? Would there be performance/mileage gains?

I'm gonna say no and no.

6r60?

. . . Is it feasible to put an entirety different trans in place of the 5r55? I ask this regarding both the 4.0 sohc, as well as the 4.6.

The last numbers of Ford transmissions is the power rating: 4R44, 5R55, 6R60, 4R70, 6R80. I looked at going to the 6R60 since it was produced in the 4th generation with the 4.6L V8: Evaluating 5R55S/W to 6R60 upgrade . I decided that was not feasible. The 4R70W was never produced with the 4.6L engine but there are adapters (expensive) that drag racers use to mate them. In my opinion they're too expensive for a street vehicle and I prefer a 5 speed. Ford has only produced the 4.0L SOHC V6 with a manual 5 speed or the 5R55.

I also saw something about aviator engines being different/better. Can I replace the blown 4.6 in my 03 with an aviator motor for a similar cost? Would there be performance/mileage gains?

The Aviator engine is a 4 valve/cylinder DOHC 4.6L V8 with comparable torque to the 2 valve/cylinder SOHC 4.6L V8 but greater max HP due to increased airflow at high engine speeds. The 3 valve/cylinder SOHC 4.6L V8 has better torque than the 4 valve per cylinder and only slightly less max HP. The Aviator engine probably won't fit in a 4WD 3rd generation Explorer but will fit in a RWD. One member has done the swap in a 2002 with the similar Mark VIII engine: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap. I plan to perform the swap on my recently purchased 2003 Limited with an Aviator engine: Next project vehicle?. It will be considerably more expensive to replace your stock 4.6L with an Aviator 4.6L. There would be less fuel economy (premium fuel), reduced maintenance accessibility and only performance improvement above 4500 rpm.

Alright, so I finally got the truck put back together after replacing the timing chains and stuff on the new motor. Purrs like a kitten. So now that I've test drove it, I have confirmed that it does in fact have a trans issue. Shifts fine except into 3rd gear, which requires me to lift off the throttle for a few seconds then it will engage and shift normal from there. Also if it requires a downshift to 3rd from 4th it will just rev up. Intermediate servore bore? If I buy that servo bore kit should that fix it?

intermediate band

. . . Shifts fine except into 3rd gear, which requires me to lift off the throttle for a few seconds then it will engage and shift normal from there. Also if it requires a downshift to 3rd from 4th it will just rev up. Intermediate servore bore? If I buy that servo bore kit should that fix it?

5R55BnCChart.jpg

I agree that the intermediate band could be slipping.

Oh and reverse wanted to disengage sitting idling. It would reengage a second or so after pushing the throttle.

How many miles on the odometer? The direct clutch could be slipping. Is there any slip in 4th with the overdrive disabled.

So if it slips in 4th should I be preparing for a rebuild? If it doesn't slip is it probably the servo bore?

What differences are there between a 2wd trans and a 4wd? I have an awd mountaineer parts truck. Can I just swap the tailshaft from the 2wd onto the awd trans? Can a reasonably handy diy mechanic rebuild one of these? I might try to expand my abilities to the magic box known as an automatic transmission.

must disassemble transmission

As I recall the transmission has to be completely disassembled to switch from 2WD to 4WD.

I've never rebuilt a transmission so I don't know how hard it is.

160K miles isn't excessive. I've got 181K on my Centennial. Did you follow TechGuru's suggestion and check for codes?

Well I took her on about a 10 mile drive around the country block a couple times. Reverse kicked out waiting for the garage door to go back down, gave it some throttle and it reengaged. On the drive it kept reving up when it should have been going into 3rd, let off the pedal for a second or so and get back on it and it would drive fine from there. Very very slight hesitation going into 5th but no flare, just felt like it quit accelerating for a fraction of a second then went on. No slippage in 4th even at WOT. After a few miles the o/d light started flashing. After it started flashing oddly enough it started going into 3rd, just with a slight, split second rpm flare, then slamming into 3rd. Brought it back into the garage and scanned it. Transmission related codes are as follows from my Auto Enginuity:

P0745 pressure control solenoid A
P0733 gear 3 incorrect ratio

Anyone got any ideas?

Bob, is that something I can check in the truck?

Yu have to take the trans apart to get to it. Now I am not sure if you can check it with a pressure gauge. I did a complete rebuild because it was apart.
Bob T
:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back