Servo bore fix | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Servo bore fix

If you get the trans book it gives you every step of taking it apart and putting it back together. I have been a mechanic all my life so it was not too bad. I have not done a lot of trans work in the past.

Also there are a lot of good videos on u tube. Take your time and work in a clean area. You would also need a few special tools.

Bob T
:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

according to Aviator shop manual

P0733 3rd gear ratio error
Components: SSA, SSB, SSC or internal parts.
Condition: 3rd gear not commanded.
Symptoms: Correct gear ratio not achieved commanded gear. Shift errors may also be due to other transmission concerns (stuck valves, damaged friction material). Engine rpm could be higher or lower than expected. May flash TCIL.

P0745 PCA solenoid or circuit fault
Component: PCA
Condition: PCA functional fault - low pressure.
Symptoms: Incorrect shift pattern indicating mechanical or hydraulic failure of the transmission. Will turn on MIL.

5R55SolenoidLogic.jpg

Have you tried driving in manual 3rd?

That chart just made my eyes glaze over haha. Might be because I just woke up though. No I haven't tried manual 3rd. I will tomorrow though. Anything in particular I should do and look/listen/feel for doing that?

That solenoid code gives me hope that the solenoid pack is failing. That's a good thing if that is the case since I have a parts truck that has a (hopefully) good Sol. pack.

I finally got the chance to test drive it in manual 3rd. From a stop with the shifter in the 3 position it starts in 2nd and stays there. Will not go to any other gear. If I manually shift 1-2-3 it revs up as expected going into 3rd, let off the throttle and it will engage. Reverse disengaged on me again backing out of the driveway, and it took a couple seconds to go into 1st when I shifted to D.

solenoid PCA?

According to 2003 Owner's Manual:

3 (Third)
Transmission operates in third gear only.
Used for improved traction on slippery roads. Selecting 3 (Third)
provides engine braking.

There's a possibility solenoid PCA bore is worn and contributing to the problem. But it hasn't failed or M1 wouldn't work properly. Have you tried adjusting the intermediate band? Although it slipping doesn't account for your reverse problems. Maybe the servo bore is worn enough that the fluid pressure is low and affecting reverse.

How does one go about adjusting that band? Should I just go ahead and install a servo repair kit and hope it works? What about the pressure control solenoid code? Think maybe the bore is wore enough that the whole trans is losing enough pressure that its throwing that code not because of a fault, but because the PCM is sensing that the solenoid is wide open bit still not getting proper pressure? Is there a way I can check/monitor the pressure? I have an auto enginuity which does most of the stuff a dealer scanner can do.

adjusting intermediate band

To adjust the intermediate band:
Loosen the locknut
Tighten the adjusting screw to 10 Lb-Ft
Back out the adjusting screw two turns
While preventing the adjusting screw from moving tighten the locknut to 40 Lb-Ft.

Unfortunately, there is no fluid pressure sensor in the transmission so you can't read the pressure electronically. There is a line pressure tap and a PC solenoid C tap that mechanical gauges can be connected to. If you don't have the gauges it might be a good idea to get an estimate from a transmission shop for the cost of reading the line pressure and the three PC solenoid pressures.

^ ditto The manual is a must.
Bob T
:usa:

I'm kinda lost as to what to do now. I don't wanna throw money away on stuff I don't need. If you guys were in my situation what would you do? Should I try adjusting the band first and hope that works? Should I go ahead and get the servo bore kit too? Should I pull the solenoid pack out of the parts truck I have and hope its good?

adjust the band

If you try to adjust the intermediate band
BandAdjust.jpg

and it won't tighten then the band is probably broken and must be replaced. It frequently breaks where the struts engage.
Band&Servo.jpg

Band&Struts.jpg

It won't cost anything (except time) to adjust the band.

must disassemble

If the band is broke does the whole trans have to be disassembled?

yes

If its broke would 3rd gear even work at all?

It may not be working.
I finally got the chance to test drive it in manual 3rd. From a stop with the shifter in the 3 position it starts in 2nd and stays there. Will not go to any other gear. If I manually shift 1-2-3 it revs up as expected going into 3rd, let off the throttle and it will engage.

You may be able to monitor the pids with your scanner to determine what's going on with the transmission. I suspect the PCM has determined that 3rd speed does not function and is upshifting to 4th (skipping 3rd) when in drive. The PCM determines the amount of slip when each speed is engaged by comparing the three sensor outputs.
Sensors.jpg

There are numerous pids associated with the transmission available.

I'll have to drive it again and see, but I'm 99% sure it was going into 3rd. I'll post back when I do that. Hopefully this evening.

I haven't had the chance to test drive it yet as my girlfriends mom is in the hospital. I do have an unrelated question though, figure no need to start a new thread for it and I seem to have some knowledgeable people watching this. What, if any, differences are there between the v8 engines in an early build 02 vs an 03? Also, what is the cutoff date between early and late? Couldn't find a solid answer searching. I have an 03 that's mine and has a tied up engine and found a parts truck that is an early build 02 that runs perfect.

2002 vs 2003

According to Ford's database the short blocks (2L2Z6006AARM), right heads (6W7Z6049A), left heads (6W7Z6049B), timing covers (2L2Z6019AA), left valve covers (F6AZ6582HA - discontinued), right valve covers (F6AZ6582JA - discontinued), harmonic balancers (1W7Z6312AA), oil pans (1L2Z6675BA), flexplates (1L2Z6375AA) have the same part numbers. The only difference I've found so far is the 2003 intake manifold (2L2Z9424AB) is not listed as fitting the 2002 engine.

So I can just swap the manifold and it'll be too to go? I'll use the wiring harness and everything from the original engine. Fuel injectors all the same and everything? I know the v6 is swappable, already did that in the truck this thread was started for, just used the original wiring and a few little things to be sure. Just wasn't sure on the v8.

I'm just debating if when I get this parts truck that is still whole, to swap the motor from it to my 03, or swap the trans from the 03 to the parts truck (02). The trans took a dump in the parts truck, hence why hes selling it for $800.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5R55W or 5R55S

I think the early 2002 vehicles have the 5R55W (wide ratio) and the 2003 and later have the 5R55S. Other than the gearing there is very little difference between the two transmissions. Also, I seem to recall the 2002 has an ATF fill port on the passenger side that was deleted on the 2003 and later.

When searching for replacement engines on the internet I noticed that the 2002 long blocks are listed to only fit 2002 vehicles but 2003 long blocks fit 2003 thru 2005 vehicles. I know that Ford switched to electronic throttle control on the 2004 Explorers and also pulse width modulation fuel pump control.

Rock Auto lists:
The Romeo long block fitting 2002 thru 2003
The head gaskets fitting 2002 thru 2005
The harmonic balancer fitting 2002 thru 2004

Maybe Ford switched from the Romeo block to the Windsor block in the late 2003 Explorers.

Are both blocks aluminum?

Back