Someone i am begging you to help me!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Someone i am begging you to help me!!!

Fuel Pump, Fuel Pump, Fuel Pump. A dying fuel pump will give a good fuel pressure reading and the engine will start and idle for a few minutes or seconds then die. Sooner or later the pump will die for good. I remember having the same drivability issues with my Ex. Here are some other possible causes:

Inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch not reset or electrically open
Open circuit between the fuel pump and the FPM connection to the FP PWR circuit
Poor fuel pump ground
Fuel pump electrically open
Fuel pump secondary circuits short to power
Fuel pump relay contacts always closed
Open FPM circuit between PCM and connection to FP PWR circuit
Damaged low speed fuel pump relay or concern with related circuits (if equipped).
Damaged PCM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel Pump, Fuel Pump, Fuel Pump. A dying fuel pump will give a good fuel pressure reading and the engine will start and idle for a few minutes or seconds then die. Sooner or later the pump will die for good. I remember having the same drivability issues with my Ex. Here are some other possible causes:

So a bad fuel pump would give me my symptoms....Only being able to start on a cold start and idle fine but once you press gas it dies??

Finally tested the fuel pressure with a gauge...I'm getting way too much pressure!! It goes way past whatever the last number was and on to the other side.... when I put the ignition to ON. HELP!! What does that mean?? Would that be the cause of my symptoms???

I think thats what the code P0232 was trying to tell me??? I dont know....

I'm searching the forums and googling....any help would be very much appreciated!! Thank you!! =)

Help help help...a fuel pump with the sending unit (which includes the regulator) will put me out $260! =( I really don't have that kind of money to be wasting if its not the part...anyone else know of someone who has had similar symptoms? Or recalls reading someone who had here in the forums?? I'm searching....nothing still as far as I can find =/

I know this is the wrong place but I really, REALLY need an answer!! Please!!

So my husband (unknowingly) bought this vacuum/fuel pressure tester called Innova. I thought it looked a little different than the ones that were shown in the threads here. But he had already opened the package and was testing the car when I came out, so no taking it back.

He had someone take out the little pin inside of the port and we drained out the excess fuel pressure from it using the hose and then hooked up the gauge.

We turned the key to the ON position and it went clockwise past the PSI section all the way up to the 15 on the vacuum side. (Picture below)

Someone said that it doesnt matter and its actually still a proper reading on the pressure of the fuel. And he said its obviously getting too much fuel.

Is he RIGHT or is this the wrong pressure tester and I should go out and buy another one?? =(

If it is right, and my pressure is too high...my husband is going to buy a brand new fuel pump/sending unit tomorrow after his doctors appointment.

We've diagnosed our problem, based on the fuel pressure reading of too high of a pressure as "bad fuel pressure regulator". With my EX it means that I have to replace the whole fuel pump plus the sending unit. It will put us out over $260, money we do not have if it is not even needed! However, I do have all the symptoms of too high of a fuel pressure. Car will start and idle but once you gas it, it chokes and dies out. Cant restart it until after you wait about 15-20 minutes, it will only crank but wont turn over. If we do try to crank it over the second time, all we smell is fuel. So we think, especially after the pressure test, that its too high of a pressure because of a bad regulator which is causing flooding of the engine.

You can read my forever diagnosis here (I wanna make sure its right!!): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309273

Please please help AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!

:feedback:

0004217303620_500X500.jpg

fuel pressure

The gauge that you used to measure your fuel pressure is a vacuum/boost pressure gauge with a maximum pressure reading capability of 10 psi. If your fuel pressure was normal (60 to 65 psi) it would have pegged the gauge.

EDIT: You stated that the needle went past the psi range and into the vacuum range. That may mean that your fuel pressure is adequate but you can't tell for sure without using the correct gauge and determining an accurate reading.

As 2000 said, you need to get a proper fuel pressure test done. There's no sense of buying anything more until you do. With all the cranking and the smell of gas you have probably flooded the plugs a few times.

I deleted the other thread about the above gauge. Keeping it all in one thread will help you.

OK, so it idles and dies when you step on the gas. Check the timing chains. A compression check is in order here.

I keep trying to get an opportunity to post but class keeps starting.

Definitely need a higher pressure fuel gauge! It will screw on.

Second, I'd check on exhaust restriction. Fuel issues could cause cat to clog or partially clog. I'd unbolt ahead of cat so you can get flow and see what happens.

Thanks guys!! Guess I'm back at square one again but its better than throwing almost 300 bucks at a part that is not needed!! I'll call around for a fuel pressure gauge again today...

As for the timing...if it was timing, would it be able to start at all? Because it can, and it idles nicely when we start it up after waiting for while, then dies once we press gas.

As for the cats...we took off the cats....had a whole bunch of crap in the pipes...my husband just took whatever he could out. We WERE gonna gut it (since Hawaiis safety inspection laws dont require you to pass an emissions test) but I was scared that we were going to mess up the O2 sensors. Can I gut a 2000 Explorer V6 SOHC without messing up the sensor?? (Not really an important question that needs to be answered....LOL I had to ask it cuz my hubby keeps beggin me to!)

By the way, after my husband took off one of the passenger side cat and cleaned it out and put it back on...she started right up....idled nicely....my husband even gassed and gassed and gassed. The only reason why it turned off was because HE turned it off since the WD40 he sprayed on the bolts were burning off and smoking and he was afraid of a fire. He then put everything back together....and then it wouldnt start again =(
Would that still suggest timing?? No right??

UGHHH I'm getting so frustrated....but you all have been such a BIG BIG BIG help...I appreciate it SO much!!

My husband said the fuel pressure tester goes to 70 PSI...its the small grey numbers on the right side.....can I really NOT use that gauge?? Ive read websites where you can make your own gauge...I spent 30bucks on this stupid gauge...and I hate for it to be for absolutely NOTHING. =( =( I have two kids...one on the way...two broken cars....not a lot of money=rainy days in the islands of paradise =(

Thanks Turdle!! I appreciate your help so much!! Actually I appreciate everyone....like BEYOND what you could ever imagine!! I dont trust any mechanics out where I live...and I keep getting what everyone "thinks" it is...but these people don't own Fords...I like to have advice from FORD owners thats been there, done that!

But what about my previous question...because now that I think about it...maybe it was a step in the right direction...
By the way, after my husband took off one of the passenger side cat and cleaned it out and put it back on...she started right up....idled nicely....my husband even gassed and gassed and gassed. The only reason why it turned off was because HE turned it off since the WD40 he sprayed on the bolts were burning off and smoking and he was afraid of a fire. He then put everything back together....and then it wouldnt start again =(

I think maybe the cats have something to do with it? We could NEVER gas it without it dying prior to that...NO MATTER the length of time we left it sitting! So by my hubby taking off that one cat...and cleaning it out...he did SOMETHING....I dont know WHAT....but something helped??

Little gray #'s are kPA (Kila-Pascals) which is the metric system way of doing pressure.

I'm trying to come up with more suggestions but my broken one has me hung up for now too. At least you're in Hawaii rather than the barren frozen wasteland that is WI. Of course walkin is walkin...

Little gray #'s are kPA (Kila-Pascals) which is the metric system way of doing pressure.

I'm trying to come up with more suggestions but my broken one has me hung up for now too. At least you're in Hawaii rather than the barren frozen wasteland that is WI. Of course walkin is walkin...

I guess you are right...Id rather be stuck walkin in paradise! LOL But it's just frustrating...I have doctor appointments to go to...Im going to have to cancel tomorrows one probably unless some miracle happens, which I doubt it. And Ill have both kids home for a week thanks to the wonderful spring break. At least the beach is right across the street...guess Ill be walking there with them everyday!

Anyone heard of similar stories of a severely plugged cat causing car not being able to gas? I've read about plugged cats and we dont get black smoke or white smoke from the exhaust and we arent getting a "rotten egg" smell...only fuel smell!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back