Supercharger install 9+lb boost! Full build | Page 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharger install 9+lb boost! Full build

do you use cruise control?
bye bye speed controller, frees up some space and remove a little weight

airbox looks good! I am all about things that function

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you use cruise control
Yes And it's functional my wife uses it all the time
She drives this truck to 80-85 miles a day back and forth to work

I put a little Vaseline on the seal itself and then shut the hood this is how it was able to cut and shape and make it seal on the hood Put a flashlight in the air box Crawl under the truck and look for the light in the dark
this weather stripping is very soft and seals great
Do this about 50 times till you get it right
We drilled a 1⁄8" hole in the bottom corner of the box as a water drain just in case
received_935173554546906_kindlephoto-185511521.jpg

Here's a picture of the silicon tube going from the air box into the fender Sealed
received_450645270265048.jpeg

I hope some day this will help somebody build a functional cold air intake box

Nice work! Looks great!

How much did all this cost to do? I'm interested in a reman engine and trans and supercharging it

A **** load
Over 4-5 years
The first time I sat down and added up the amount of money I put into supercharging my '89 Mustang I nearly fainted. Just the conversion to a T56 six speed and aluminum driveshaft was well over $4k. I easily had more money into modding the car than I paid for it new. Then Ford released the 2003 Terminator and it had an MSRP of less than $35k and it was far better in every aspect than my '89 LX. At that point I stopped putting stupid money into it because I could have spent the same on a Terminator. With a $25 blower pulley and a tune it would make nearly to 500 rwhp AND it would be far more reliable, comfortable and optioned. When I bought my completely unmolested 2007 Steeda Mustang a few years ago I vowed to keep it just the way it came from the Ford dealer. It is screaming for a twin screw blower but it isn't going to happen by my hand or wallet.

The first time I sat down and added up the amount of money I put into supercharging my '89 Mustang I nearly fainted. Just the conversion to a T56 six speed and aluminum driveshaft was well over $4k. I easily had more money into modding the car than I paid for it new. Then Ford released the 2003 Terminator and it had an MSRP of less than $35k and it was far better in every aspect than my '89 LX. At that point I stopped putting stupid money into it because I could have spent the same on a Terminator. With a $25 blower pulley and a tune it would make nearly to 500 rwhp AND it would be far more reliable, comfortable and optioned. When I bought my completely unmolested 2007 Steeda Mustang a few years ago I vowed to keep it just the way it came from the Ford dealer. It is screaming for a twin screw blower but it isn't going to happen by my hand or wallet.
It will take me a long time to add up just the engine was $3,500
The super charger and install kit was $2,000
Supercharger $500 rebuilt
.,..,and so on
Lmao

It will take me a long time to add up just the engine was $3,500
The super charger was $2,500 Rebuilt
.,..,and so on
Lmao
My advice is stop adding there. Some things are better left unknown. o_O

It's all about the fun though my wife loves her truck and that's all that matters to me I know it sounds crazy but happy wife is a happy life
I still say it's 1 bad ass lawn mower engine though

It's all about the fun though my wife loves her truck and that's all that matters to me I know it sounds crazy but happy wife is a happy life
I think the 2nd gen Explorer is a far more rare vehicle to find supercharged. Especially those with a 4.0L SOHC. It makes them more special than a super/turbo charged Mustang, IMO. As I mentioned in a previous post, the Terminator is what stopped me from spending a lot of money on the '89 going forward. In fact, I think the latest generations of Mustang (2011+ models), Camaro and Charger/Challenger decimated the aftermarket parts industry for the previous generations. These cars just made it impractical to dump large sums of cash into a car where the results would not beat a new model in most performance metrics. One would be better off buying a new model. The last 10-12 years has been the golden age of ICE performance cars. The 1960s to the late 2000s was just a warm up for the past 10 years. One can buy a 700-800 hp beast with all the wizardry imaginable from a performance aspect AND have a 100k extended warranty on the vehicle!

While I think EVs are a soulless chunk of plastic, metal and lithium, there is no denying that they are performance juggernauts. Any yahoo can jump in one and run the same 1/4 mile ET as a professional drag racer would. All one has to do is mash the pedal and steer it straigh for 1,320 feet. I watched a Lightening F150 run 12s! It sucked down almost 10% of the battery to do it but it ran 12.7 seconds in the quarter and would do 0-60 mph in less than four seconds. The good news is that what seems to be the replacement for ICEs is no slouch from a performance aspect but the bad news is........ well, we all know the bad news since it has been discussed thoroughly here on EF.

Tim Taylor would be proud of you. :cool:

My project SUV might cost me another $10k, I have many of the expensive or obsolete parts already. Body and paint work has gone crazy too, costs are all nuts.

I may just buy a tent box fan and harbor freight spray gun teach my self to paint

I have helped to paint two cars, my friend did them in his house garage, and his bigger garage. For both we made a plastic sheet room within the garage, and added what fans and filters we could to help keep it air fresh. It worked great for both, but that was a ton of work to prepare, plus the longer job of each painting step.

How much did all this cost to do? I'm interested in a reman engine and trans and supercharging it
You can go low-boost / no-methanol it for about $3k... not including the rebuilt engine (NOT A JASPER .030/.030 "masterpiece"-of-...) or transmission. Find a local, reputable speed shop that isn't going to half-ass it.

I got my kit with a remanned supercharger (90's T-bird unit) plus some misc parts and have about $2k in parts so far.

Low boost only lasts for a year and then you're gonna wanna go with more boost trust me?
That's when you get into the money tuning methanol upgrades pulley belts all sorts of little things that cost money wire connectors Et cetera

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$10k for a Supercharged SUV with a new engine and transmission sounds good, but I probably have also done $10k in my own labor...................................I have enjoyed working on it and that makes it worth it to me.

Back