Supercharger install 9+lb boost! Full build | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharger install 9+lb boost! Full build

Low boost only lasts for a year and then you're gonna wanna go with more boost trust me?
That's when you get into the money tuning methanol upgrades pulley belts all sorts of little things that cost money wire connectors Et cetera
I started out thinking 8 psi was plenty and ended up running 16 psi. Boost to a gear head is like crack is to a drug addict.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I started out thinking 8 psi was plenty and ended up running 16 psi. Boost to a gear head is like crack is to a drug addict.
True

yea.....i think on my first supercharger it came with a big and a small pulley. the big pulley was on for maybe a hour before the small one went on.

Ohhh my noisy little alternator pulley...........................180 amp alternator solved my problem (running 6 electric radiator fans)................but the belt slips on that little pulley when she revs-up quick. I want to sandblast the pulley or something to make it grab better without tearing-up the belt.
Ok the alternator pulley slipping killed my belt which then killed my supercharger pulley
I had to fix it I used a tungsten dremel tool bit looks like a end mill in !Y drill press
Then wire brushed any sharp edges this has stopped the slipping with no belt damage ....yet we'll see
received_656959362459999.jpeg

received_651293713334366.jpeg

received_707497800712893.jpeg

Here is the damaged pulley
received_798143641456671.jpeg

received_480237380531120.jpeg

dont be too surprised if you have a ton of belt dust around your alt now. my old m112 had a pulley like that, the dust it made from the belt was impressive to say the least.

dont be too surprised if you have a ton of belt dust around your alt now. my old m112 had a pulley like that, the dust it made from the belt was impressive to say the least.
You are probably right
Can't be worse than before tho.
Some Dust still on the alternator and idler pulley in the pic
The old one was leaving a pile of dust

Lets hope it works

This little guy

Screenshot_20221020-080635.png

Traction!!
well done

see how it holds up!

that would be it. however, thinking about it some more, yours might not be as bad. on mine, the groves where open at the bottom so it would go everywhere, yours is just grooved to the base of the pulley.

More ribs please?
How do I find them
Do they make 8 rib pulleys for my truck
And then I can probably do something like that

Update .
Jess put the truck sideways today for the first time
She got curious how to do it
I told her to just keep the front wheels where you want them to go and punch it
She hammered it and easily smoked tires
I was very surprised she didn't even use the breaks
Left stripes:). Ahh good times

Update .
Oh nice that's how ya drive a explorer lol ive smoked mine a few times

Update .

That's a learning experience, I'm sure it was fun. Is that 2WD, and not A4WD?

For the 8-rib pulleys, you can follow what Tim did with his. We had to have a custom pulley made for the PS, but there are OEM alternator puleys, and the AC clutch pulley, easy to get. Look for Super Duty pulleys for those two. Your V6 4.0 just like the 5.0 has an integral crank pulley made into the balancer.

Finding a way to come up with a different balancer would be the big hurdle to upgrade to 8-ribbed pulleys. I had a pair for the SBF made using new OEM 302 balancers, and we bolted a 1994/1995 Mustang Cobra crank pulley onto them. I don't know anything about the 4.0 balancer, I doubt there are many similar other balancers to use like them.

That's a learning experience, I'm sure it was fun. Is that 2WD, and not A4WD?
Its a 2wd ....it breaks loose easily ....

I am looking into this 8 rib thing
Thanks

If you find something that would work, but needs some adjustment on a lathe, I’m your guy.

If you find something that would work, but needs some adjustment on a lathe, I’m your guy.
Thank you

At some point I will have to fix this super charger pulley no need to waste it just a little clean up
I do have a new pulley on the way
So at some point I may be sending you a PM:)

I wonder if that company that makes the one aftermarket balancer has any ability to alter one. I have one on my SOHC, and it may be the same company which makes the Screamin Demon coil pack for the SOHC. If the front of one could be machined to accept a common old SBF crank pulley, then a similar one might be available with 8-ribs. You don't want to have get one custom made like we did for the crank and PS, the crank pulley was about $250 years ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

john starts talking about the 8 rib pulleys here My 98 super charged EX

asp Home did his balancer, and both of our ps pulley. john got his done, then i got mine a few years later, if you call him ask for the power steering pulleys for a explorer that either john stass or tim shaw had made and he should still have the blue print for it.

Back