Teaser for my Custom (soon to be) Modified ARB Steel Front Bumper !!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Teaser for my Custom (soon to be) Modified ARB Steel Front Bumper !!!

adding myself to watch this build. Cool project Jerry!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I couldn't take it anymore today so I cut the grinder and cutting wheels out for some fun. I sectioned and notched the bumper cover for the ARB bumper to be mocked up into place. I figured out I need to add 3 1/2" to the front of the bumper and around 5" to the sides to take it back to the wheel well. I'll be adding the factory fog lights to the ARB bumper along with a front tow hitch and a skid plate for now until I do my SAS.

Oh yea, I guess you guys wanna see some pictures.. Mocked up in place...

picture.php

picture.php

And how it looks for now until the bumper is finished...

picture.php

Gonna try and run to the steel shop this week and get some sheets of steel to add to the bumper.

I'm trying to picture why you need to add to it? Is it for looks or is there a structural reason?

Couple of reasons.

The outside and sides of the bumper stick out alittle further then the ST's bumper but matches the width of the tires so when I go trialin' the bumper will hit the tree etc. before the tire does.

Since I plan on eventually doing a SAS, SOA I need to make sure the bumper is already gonna be the size and height for Pa.'s bumper height law. If I left it the way it is it would be too high.

I also wanna protect the frame and under side of the frontend better. If I didn't have a body lift I wouldn't have to worry about adding any steel because the bumper and mounting brackets match up perfect with the frame.

that looks terrible. you should just abandon this project and mail the materials over to my house so i can scrap it for you.

that looks terrible. you should just abandon this project and mail the materials over to my house so i can scrap it for you.

:thumbsup:

But I live a bit closer, and I bet it fits better on a 2nd gen explorer anyway:)

Lono, LOL. At one point I actually thought about selling it for what I paid for it but really glad I decided to cut my bumper cover up so now I have to modify/ build this steel bumper for my ST.

Sporty, I got it from a guy down in Sutersville, Pa.. Really close to you, lol.

rebel if i were you i would drop the bumper height by putting a "skid plate" from the area in between the tow hooks and then take the the ends into the skid plate to get the drop needed to be legal

The height if I mounted it shown in the pictures would be well under the legal limit, it's when I do my SAS, SOA is when it's gonna need the extra steel welded in. While I have the IFS on I will be building a skid plate to protect the parts that'll be behind it but once I do my SAS I won't have that skid plate so I'm planning ahead and wanna build once to have it setup for future suspension mods.

i see but wouldnt you still want some sort of frame to frame skid plate to protect the steering components that will still be exposed on the front of the solid axle?

edit: i am aware that the tie rod linkages and crossbar will be exposed but what about the steering box, and part of the idler and pitman

Ok after some time last night cutting and welding I decided to scrap the idea of sectioning the bumper to add more flat steel for the face. I'm going to use some steel tube from work to kinda mimic the upper tubes for the bottom. I'll be making a custom tube skid plate as well. I volunteer at the foodbank tonight so I won't get anything done today but hopefully I can get the bumper done by the end of the month. Stay tuned for more info and pictures. On a side note since I can get alot of steel I'll probably be starting on the rear bumper and rock sliders and maybe get those done by the end of the summer.

...decided to scrap the idea of sectioning the bumper to add more flat steel for the face. I'm going to use some steel tube from work to kinda mimic the upper tubes for the bottom. I'll be making a custom tube skid plate as well...

Duuuuuuude! That's gonna be toooooootally tubular!!!

Lol !!!

I did some more cutting and welding tonight, enough to have an idea of how I'm going to build the brackets for it. I even had it tacked up in place but took it back off until I do the brackets and add the rest of the tubes, skid plate and other mods.

picture.php

damn, i want that bumper! i hope i find something like that around here some day so i can do what youre doing. cant wait to get back to cali so i can throw on my new roof basket tomorrow!

Talk with James @ RLC Welding, he can make you one for front and rear. If I hadn't found this one by chance I was gonna have him make me one. Depending on how things go with my new job I'll probably have him make my rear bumper.

Welding and cutting/ grinding metal in the hot ass sun is no fun but will be worth it. I'm fabrication all the brackets out of 1/4" flat stock steel plates. I'll add the front tow hitch after I get this bumper on the truck, I'll add some steel tube around the sides and below the bumper so I can add my offroad lights and be protected. Did I mention it F'ing Hot, lol. I'll add pictures tonight and post them.

Here's a updated picture of my customized ARB winch bumper welded to my Trac. I'm adding a custom one off steel tube skid plate. Far from done but finally mounted.

picture.php

picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking awesome! The skid plate is going to look sweet on there. I need to buy myself a welder. I want a front bumper made.

Back