• Register Today It's free!

Custom winch bumper !FINISHED!

Sporttracdora

Reaction score
City, State
REDMOND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explore sport trac
Here stands my 03 ST with its almost done front winch bumper, it’s completely cut, fabricated, and welded by myself. And it has been a blast to build, I took heavy inspiration from a long out of production c4 fabrication bumper for the 1st gen Tacoma. This is my second large fabrication, prior I custom built a high clearance rear bumper and swing out for the truck which turned out amazing as well. Drop a comment, ask questions, or point out any concerns you may see! Happy explorations!

0B49872C-F858-477D-8FD6-364656053879.jpeg

37E58392-20B3-4927-8251-9AF8203DB361.jpeg

316DE872-67C4-474C-B6ED-3F57301AA07E.jpeg

88161FA5-2B21-404F-A87C-D18705EAC4EE.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nicely done. Any in-process build pics of both? How did you do the anchor points, etc.

*****in truck!

I love it

Nicely done. Any in-process build pics of both? How did you do the anchor points, etc.
Yes a few I will attach some photos and descriptions on the mounts for the frame!

Here is the frame pickup, I tied into the stock recovery mount point as well as chopped off the front bumpers original mounting solution to accommodate a winch that sat farther inside the frame. Mate a small plate with nuts welded to the backside and hot metal glued to to the frame!
93C9A05B-311C-45E8-81FD-9A44C090FFDB.jpeg

Here is the mounting points on the bumper itself, it comprises of 4 bolts per side. I actually started off with a harbor freight winch plate as a base and biult off it!
82737795-4C0C-4D78-8B71-7423207C9492.jpeg

Some photos of the front bumper as just the center and in biuld progress!
14CBB381-5C3D-48BC-86AB-F1F267A36223.jpeg

looked pretty grim at this point I was a little scared!
91CC2C55-3854-45D6-8BEF-8C611DF8A869.jpeg

Just the winch plate mounted up, where it all started!
5DF8DFCE-346F-4B20-BD95-B84EFD04C41C.jpeg

I will have to dig around for some photos of the rear bumper in biulding stages as it was about a year ago this month! Thanks for the interest you all rock!

96F68291-E5CA-4E9E-B298-0F2F22590A04.jpeg

75B322F3-D58B-4AD7-B7B8-88A5AC3C07CD.jpeg

Yes a few I will attach some photos and descriptions on the mounts for the frame!

Here is the frame pickup, I tied into the stock recovery mount point as well as chopped off the front bumpers original mounting solution to accommodate a winch that sat farther inside the frame. Mate a small plate with nuts welded to the backside and hot metal glued to to the frame!
View attachment 449098
Here is the mounting points on the bumper itself, it comprises of 4 bolts per side. I actually started off with a harbor freight winch plate as a base and biult off it! View attachment 449099
Some photos of the front bumper as just the center and in biuld progress!View attachment 449103
looked pretty grim at this point I was a little scared!
View attachment 449104
Just the winch plate mounted up, where it all started!
View attachment 449102

I will have to dig around for some photos of the rear bumper in biulding stages as it was about a year ago this month! Thanks for the interest you all rock!

Nice work! :chug:

I like low profile plate bumpers. Looks solidly mounted. Came out pretty good. The only question I have is what is the purpose of the large triangle shaped holes? If they are for a Hi-Lift, they should be smaller. Those jacks don't need any help slipping. My plate bumper is for a XJ, modified to fit my 1st Gen. It has small cut outs for a Hi-Lift. I've used them before and even that small the jack moves.
20240118_132820.jpg

The only question I have is what is the purpose of the large triangle shaped holes? If they are for a Hi-Lift, they should be smaller.

I never thought of putting triangles in the bumper for the high lift jack. Awesome idea.

View attachment 449102

Is that a specific winch plate?

Clean! Very nice.

Question -- in the background of a couple photos, is that an aircraft tail section?

I like low profile plate bumpers. Looks solidly mounted. Came out pretty good. The only question I have is what is the purpose of the large triangle shaped holes? If they are for a Hi-Lift, they should be smaller. Those jacks don't need any help slipping. My plate bumper is for a XJ, modified to fit my 1st Gen. It has small cut outs for a Hi-Lift. I've used them before and even that small the jack moves.
View attachment 449105
The cutouts in the front are too access the winch clutch which I will modify to be on a lever out of one of these holes, the other reason is I just thought it looked bad*ss!

Ok let’s make in controversial! Some people love them some people hate them, for one I am a HUGE fan! What are your guys opinions on the brush bars!
DE430E76-4E99-4486-8E9C-D17AC3993B0E.jpeg
9F1047E8-D436-4D91-8BE5-141253F2A4C7.jpeg

I never thought of putting triangles in the bumper for the high lift jack. Awesome idea.

View attachment 449102

Is that a specific winch plate?
It is the harbor freight winch plate!! I thought highlight jack in the bumper was genius as well never heard of a hole specifically for it!

I Like it! Should help stop a deer from going into the front clip of needed

The real questions is are you keeping the bug shield? Lol

I Like it! Should help stop a deer from going into the front clip of needed

The real questions is are you keeping the bug shield? Lol
That’s the idea! I have never thought about taking the bug shield off, maybe I will pop it off and see what it looks like! I’m thinking it will make it look a little cleaner, more cohesive!

Awesome work. Gets better in every picture.

How did you make the cut on the white plastic bits? It looks very straight and well done

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did you make the cut on the white plastic bits? It looks very straight and well done
Good catch. My guess would be a tape line and Dremel/cutoff wheel. But let's hear from the expert. @Sporttracdora

Back