Teaser for my Custom (soon to be) Modified ARB Steel Front Bumper !!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Teaser for my Custom (soon to be) Modified ARB Steel Front Bumper !!!

I used the Harbor Freight 90 Amp Flux Core welder I got for $89 with a coupon out of Four Wheeler Mag. The Hobart .35 wire definetly works better then the wire that comes with the welder but that did really good to, just more slag with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A cuople new pictures from today. I'm trying to find the time to build the skid plate. Hopefully tomorrow.

picture.php

picture.php

i think i need to be set back further but that is just my opinion, or at least knock the front outer corners off to give it more of an angled look, the box look does not fit the shape of the vehicle

i think i need to be set back further but that is just my opinion, or at least knock the front outer corners off to give it more of an angled look, the box look does not fit the shape of the vehicle

I'd have to agree. It looks better than the wimpy stock front for sure, but now it looks almost barbaric or Frankenstein-ish, if there was a way just to angle the corners...

Its as close to the body as I could get it, I actually notched out alot of the plastic where the snorkels are on the grille. It a winch bumper so it has to stick out some to allow room for the winch behind. The ends of the bumper are exactly the same width as the tires so I'll hit the bumper on a tree before taking out a tire/ front suspension. I'm addding a custom tube steel skid plate and if I can a font tow hitch. I don't wanna take away all the approach angle I just got though. I'm leaving the bumper width alone because it's already the right width for the current IFS setup with the wheels/ tires, I plan on doing a SAS so I wanna have a wider bumper to kinda protect that when I do it. It'll look better once I get the skid plate on there.

Looks really good already. Making good progress. And to think Im having trouble with a simple body lift :(

Looks really good already. Making good progress. And to think Im having trouble with a simple body lift :(

I have to agree.

Who WOULDN'T want the barbaric look :D

I think it says GTFO the way! Also, as you said - your approach angles have increased tremendously!! Can't wait to see the final product!!

It's really funny seeing people's faces when they think about walking out in front of me.

Worked on it some more today, hopefully I'll get it done tomorrow but we'll see.

It's really funny seeing people's faces when they think about walking out in front of me.

This is why I need more lift, bigger tires, and a badass bumper! I just can't bring myself to do it because I may move up to an trac or f150 in the next year...

Leave the Ex alone and start saving up for the Trac now. I was down in your neck of the woods today and will be going back Friday to Menasha in Yukon, Pa. I drive truck for a local now and that's one of my stops.

I imagine it's pretty priceless lol- Most people would bounce up and over the average car.. Yours would straight up mow them over, chew em up, and spit them out the ass-end lol

Hell yeah, that's a grizzly bumper!!! With the tube steel above & below it'll really stand out!

...unfortunately, you'll pretty much be forced to make a matching rear, with wraparound tube to replace the plastic and protect the corners and sides, and sliders underneath, and skid plates mounted on tubes that could tie in to the bumpers or side steps... maybe the wraparound tubes could be extended on up to tie in to some of the other parts, like a mini exo-cage!

...I better stop - I think I just added about 500 pounds of imaginary tubing to your truck! Lucky for me, imaginary fab work is quick & easy, lol!!

Lucky for me, imaginary fab work is quick & easy, lol!!

Lucky for me as well. I've done complete frame off restorations and rebuilds, body frame swaps, engine swaps, not to mention the thousands of suspension changes. Maybe one day I can cash those checks my mind creates.

Keep livin' the dreams guys, I'll keep building them. Lol. I was just like that for years but got tired of seeing all these badass trucks so I'm finally kicking myself in the ass to build it up. My major goal it a SAS, SOA and an older V8, might go with a 345 V8 out of an old International Scout II, used to have a '79 and it was a bear (Grizzly).

Paying off all debt this year and buying a house/starting a family next year is my holdup. If I wasn't married and working toward those things, I'd have this on 1-tons and 37s and my Cougar making the Sunday drives with 400+hp. But, I have dreams instead, lol.

Thanks for pushing the envelope. :popcorn:

LOL, You know I gotta mess with ya man. Hell I have a wife and kid and work 10 hour days M-F. I'm pretty much working with supplies I can get for free or really cheap.

I spent the tonight cutting, fabricating, welding and designing the skid plate I'm making out of steel tube from work (free). I got three of the five main vertical bars welding on.

I'm gonna tell you guys right now if you wanna fabricate stuff onto the ST's frame, there's no flat surfaces and both frame sides (front and rear) have completely different designs and shapes. The center IFS cross member is another PITA to work with too.

It's too late and dark to take pictures so I'll try to get some tomorrow after work. I didn't even get a chance to grind down the welds and atleast put a coat of paint on the bare metal and welds tonight (too late and dark). Oh well, it'l keep.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Pictures of the first three of the seven steel tubes that will make up my skid plate...

picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back