This forum needs some excitement!! DB_1's Ranger SAS rebuild | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

This forum needs some excitement!! DB_1's Ranger SAS rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
absolutely awesome to see it come to life again, VERY nice work!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you sir ;)
Now to get a wheelin' trip under my belt to find the bugs.

DB_1 said:
Yeah, sucks up the bumps better but the back end needs help now. I'd hit some speed bumps and the rear suspension is like a bucking bronco.
Dave, figure out a way to carry a couple hundred pounds of stuff in the back, it'll really help the rear work.

I'm up for Cleghorn! :D

RangerX said:
Dave, figure out a way to carry a couple hundred pounds of stuff in the back, it'll really help the rear work.

I'm up for Cleghorn! :D

I'll live with the way it is now until I get a new leaf pack, my current springs have seen better days.

I'm up for a run anywhere anytime guys :thumbsup: Looks like Dishpan springs is open again, maybe we could warm up on Cleghorn then camp out in Big Bear somwhere then do Dishpan and other runs one weekend.

DB_1 said:
I'll live with the way it is now until I get a new leaf pack, my current springs have seen better days.

I'm up for a run anywhere anytime guys :thumbsup: Looks like Dishpan springs is open again, maybe we could warm up on Cleghorn then camp out in Big Bear somwhere then do Dishpan and other runs one weekend.
There are a few deaver LT packs for sale on race-dezert.com if you would be interested.

Cleghorn to Big Bear and Dishpan sounds like a plan to me. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a good idea but don't they usually run leaf packs that are 5.5" of lift max? Or they are even running their springs, spring under I think. I'll probably just hold out until I can buy a custom pack.

Im linking the front first. Still need to get those coils from you.

I just got a pair of surface mount flexy flares from JC Whitney today and looks like they might work pretty good. I only ordered a pair just to see how they'd look but I'll order up another set for the front. I'll post up pics when they are mounted. I couldn't use the other style flares that mount on the inside of the fenderwell because I got a little to happy with the grinder :D
I also need to find some mudflaps in the width I need, seems the ones that i've seen are either too small like for stockish tires or super wide for duallys.
Other than that, not much else has been going on with the rig due to the insanely high temps here. Our swimming pool is even to warm to be refreshing...like low 90's for water temp :eek:

I got the fender flares installed on the rear and I ordered some for the front since I liked how they turned out.

Here's a few shots of them on the truck and one of the battery installed behind the passenger seat. I just used a couple J-hooks for now to keep the battery in place and drilled holes for a pair of bulkhead fittings so the wires can pass through the floor from the underside of the truck into the cab.

img_0668.jpg

img_0669.jpg

img_0670.jpg

img_0671.jpg

The flares look good Dave. I see you changed back to the other wheels too.

Is that rear bumper "new". It's been so long since I've seen your truck, I don't remember it having a rear bumper.

Thanks Colin,
Around the time I started my SAS rebuild Matt bought my black steelies w/ X-Terrains.

As for the bumper I've been on a few trips with it but maybe you missed those runs. It's not really functional for anything other than it keeps me street legal :rolleyes:

I thought this was a picture-free thread? :confused: :p

section525 said:
I thought this was a picture-free thread? :confused: :p

I'm breaking tradition...so sue me :mattmoon: :D

Colin-I really haven't been driving it all that much, just around the block sometimes but so far so good :thumbsup:

The Big Bear trip this weekend should be interesting, a couple of hours of freeway driving each way and then trail riding all weekend. Let you all know how the rig handles all that.

Dave,

Those look good, how much do they cover? I kind have a issue with my tire hanging out myself :D

These flares are the 2 1/4" flare and they are the only size in surface mount style. If you get the kind that mount into the inner lip then your size options go up to 4" I believe.

The little self tapping screws they give you are a joke, I went and bought a box of #10-3/4" self tappers and a bunch of #10 fender washers. These allowed me to get a nice flush look ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I got back from my shakedown trip up in Big Bear today and had a little bit of carnage and a few other issues.
The carnage was a broken drivers side tailight which happend while I was in a tight spot on the trail. I thought I was in gear when I let off the brake to press the gas but I was in neutral so I rolled back into the hill and smashed my tailight and slightly crumpled the sheetmetal.
Next, I still have a lingering issue with my tranny (auto) slipping into neutral on steep inclines (see above tailight issue :rolleyes: ) I tried adding some more fluid seemed to help on other climbs but I don't know if it was the fact that the hill wasn't steep enough or what so I'm not totally convinced that problem is cured :mad:
Another issue I have is my tires rub on my coils when they stuff into the wheel well so I'll have to limit uptravel until I change wheel backspacing and tires. Right now I have 36x13.5-16 IROK's on 16x8 w/4.25" backspacing. So that's a wide tire on a rim with not a lot of backspacing.
And lastly, the sliders on my coilovers are slightly ****eyed which makes them rub against the shock body. I had noticed that before when I installed the shocks originally so I rotated the coils and all looked good but it went back to being crooked. I guess i'll have to call up King and see if I can get this figured out.

Besides all those issues, I'm pretty happy with the way my truck performed on the trail and on the highway as well. Not nearly as tippy as it used to be although the fear was still there because I was expecting the old characteristics of my suspension. On the way up to Big Bear was shall I say, interesting. There was (and usually always is) a stiff headwind heading westbound on the 10 fwy which was making it difficult to stay in a lane at times. People must have thought I was drunk or something :confused: But when there's no wind involved the truck is easy to manage and tracks straight and smooth as glass even up to 75mph.

Keep ya posted as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back