Tim's '93 Sport | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tim's '93 Sport

1993 Ford Explorer Sport

Drivetrain

VW 1.9l BEW TDI, stage 4 Malone tune, Garret VNT17 Turbo
TD Conversions trans adapter
M5OD from 1998 Explorer (Replaced original A4LD)
Stock Borg Warner 1354E

Front Suspension
Dana 35 TTB 3.73
Warn 37780 Dana 35 hubs
James Duff 3” long arm lift
Progressive coils
Dual shocks
BrianBuilt Fab diff guard
James Duff steering stabilizer
1993 Chevy K1500 brake lines

Rear Suspension
Ford 8.8 3.73 limited slip
Alcan Spring 3” lift leaf springs
1970’s Jeep J10 brake line

Wheel and Tires
Cragar Soft 8 16x7, 4in backspace with second gen center caps
285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs

Interior
3D printed ash tray switch panel
Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod with Autometer boost and EGT gauges
Pioneer headunit
Pioneer 4 way speakers
Pioneer 10in sub hidden in place of factory storage pocket in trunk
Pioneer amp

Exterior
Custom swing out tire carrier using stock rear bumper
Clear cut headlights with better bulbs
BrianBuilt Fab cowl light brackets with KC Rally 400 spots
KC 26 series amber fogs mounted behind front grille
Five foot FireStik for CB
91-92 Sport fender trim
First gen Expedition tow hooks

Other Modifications
1994 Jeep ZJ steering shaft
Custom auxiliary/upfitter circuits
A/C delete

Future Modifications
4.56 gears with lockers
Atlas II
Built in sliders (rocker panels are rusty)
Hidden winch behind factory front bumper
Limit straps and bump stops
Skid plates
1-2 more inches of lift

8DEB1F4F-E48B-4431-8771-8E07A0440820.jpeg

3890FE78-7004-430D-B640-2BF81F81F30C_1_201_a.jpeg

73FC2F84-0789-4FC5-B8EB-24B076436324_1_201_a.jpeg

09E5555E-0A82-41E3-9D42-A921AD7F1998.jpeg

aa1efc78-13a6-4f34-97df-eab4032a2c13_zpselkytlnl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I like your Moab Hill Climb. Gonna have to wait till I get home to hear your Exhaust.

Do you have any Video of you going up Eagle Rock?

Thank you sir

I do have video from my windshield mounted Go Pro of Eagle Rock. I have yet to edit any of it and make it one video... hmm maybe I’ll have to do that later

Look forward to seeing it. Mine is running again and the weekend of the 21st will be getting her registered. Possibly going out to a trail maybe just to see how she is. Will let you all know.

I will shoot you a message if we go out. The only place we would go is Rainbow falls. She is all wheel drive right now not sure how she will do but would love to find out.

So How long did it take you to do All of Eagle Rock? 4 hours a video and the trail in not that Long :) Really enjoyed your video. I forgot to ask how bad is the underneath of your vehicle.

It took us about 5 hours to run the trailo_O Go Pro died shortly before the end of the trail. But the reason it took so long was mainly the K20 that we were with was having several issues. 1) it had open diffs so he was taking a long time to get up obstacles 2) he blew a valve stem that we had to repair 3) he burned his clutch out and busted his steering box at the same time, so we had to tow his truck up one of the really long hills. Then on top of that my buddy's Bronco struggled on the same hill because his carb isn't tuned quite right. So he kept bogging and ended up getting stuck.

The Explorer probably did the best out of the three even though some obstacles took a bit of finding just the right line. Would've been even better if I had lockers front and rear. But the amount of suspension travel this thing has is really what saved me in the end. Amazing that this thing out wheeled full size rigs on big tires:thumbsup:

The underside isn't too bad overall. Skid plates are all scratched pretty good, but thats what they're for. Put a hole in the muffler, but thats all fixed now. And the ends of my u-bolts are bent, which is now an excuse for me to get some of @Brian1 u-bolt skid plates and upgrade to bigger 5/8" u-bolts:D But overall it's really not beat up too bad. Just need to start thinking about getting some skid plates on some of the exposed areas and and fabbing up some rock sliders. And hopefully sometime early next year I'll be getting gears, lockers, and going up to some 33's

I had a 78 Blazer and it had a carb so I totally get what the bronco was going thru. It is the biggest part of why I sold my Blazer. Wanted to get away from the carb. You rear is LS right? Not sure if that helped or not. Can't wait to see how she will look with 33's. Oh also on my Blazer I also had the DuraTrac Tires. I Loved them. They would handle anything I thru at them. Some days I miss my Blazer but others I am SUPER happy I do not have her anymore. My next set of Tires on my current EX will be 33's. Just need to get her lifted like I want and the Transfer case changed. That is pretty awesome that your EX out did the full size trucks.

Want to buy a 76 Blazer;)

Yep my rear axle is limited slip. I think it did help to an extent, but I also drive with my left foot on the brake so I can control some wheel slip that way by riding the brake a bit

I'm so stoked for 33's. Definitely gonna be sticking with Duratracs because I love these tires in every condition. And I'll be putting them on some American Racing Outlaw II's to still kinda keep that stock look. Wish I could keep these wheels, but they're not wide enough and I need a bit more backspacing

I can't wait to see what you do with your EX. We need more of them locally here

Would like to buy a 76 but No thanks LOL. Have you seen Starkmans build? Pretty much the same as what I am planning with mine. Minor lift and 33s on her. Once that is done I will go to either Rainbow falls or China wall to test her out and see if she will be ok for Eagle Rock or Chinamens Gulch.

Oh yah I follow his build. One of my favorite second gen builds out there actually. Yours is gonna look really good when you get all of that done. I've never done China Wall, but would really like to. Personally I think Rainbow Falls is a really good test trail because it kind of has a bit of everything

That is the thing so does China Wall. You can take a built rig and have some good play grounds but also take a Sock Explorer with 30's on and still have fun. Its also a trail open almost year round. At the end of trail you can head down to the river and have a camp out or a Lunch break and run back out. Great trail. Once I am up and running maybe we will have to do an Explorer China wall run.

Oh absolutely we'll have to do an Explorer run. There's a lot of local people, just haven't met most of them in person haha

Also think it would be cool if we could put together some kind of week long overland type run in Colorado sometime next year. Almost like bringing back the Colorado Colors Run. So many cool people and builds on this forum I would like to actually meet

That sounds like a great thing to do but next year I would not be able to attend :-( I have 2 graduations to go to and a Family reunion during Thanksgiving. But if there is something I could help with setting it up I might be able to help a little. So my year next year is already full for time off LOL

Oh yah I hear you man. I totally understand! It's just an idea at this point, but I want to work on some ideas and planning. Then see about getting some input form guys here on the forum to figure something out. So hopefully we can make this happen

Back