U HAUL AGAINST EXPLORERS!!!! | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U HAUL AGAINST EXPLORERS!!!!

03ExplorerSPT said:
Slap some Mountaineer badges on your Explorer then they'll rent to you.

Or don't rent from them. I wouldn't give them my cash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NYC97XLT said:
Or don't rent from them. I wouldn't give them my cash.

I'd love to never rent from them again. Just tell me another company that does one way trailer rentals.

I Dont know if anyone saw this but on the Speed Channel they did a Special episode and they took around 5 explorers and hooked up a device that would simulate a blowout. Then they started at 35 mph and worked there way up to 70mph. Each time the driver held on to the wheel and when the device would blowout the tire the Xplor would just slow down. Once he even took his hands off the wheel and nothing happend except it started to pull to the left. At the End they said theres no way you can flip an explorer during a blowout Unless you spin the wheel very hard and quick to one side. But come on guys........what SUV wouldnt flip doing that.
All in all this is a load of BS !!!!!
Amen

Yea, they did that test a few years back during the Ford/Firestone lawsuit era. Its amazing how absolutely normal a sport ute will perform without a brain dead sheeple behind the wheel.

I read a small article today out of the new Car & Driver Magazine about a guy (forget the name or location) that attempted to roll a Mazda Navajo repeatedly.... but failed over and over.

There was a picture with the article. I could tell there was plenty of speed to roll it over, but in the picture the wheels were almost fully turned to the right, and the front left tire had smoke rolling off of it. There was plenty of body roll, but still on all 4.

In the end, him and a few people flipped it on its side by pushing it over.

U-Haul sucks

Shane

My wife asked me today to make a reservation with U-Haul so we may move some of my step-daughters belongings from Oregon to Washington.

I told her no.

She wondered why. I told her about the Boycotting of U-Haul, and that I would call Ryder, or Budget (I work @ Sears and get an employee discount) rather than give U-Haul a DIME of my money.

This wasn't going to be a 'tow behind' trailer. It's not like they would let us do it anyway......I own an Explorer.....2 of them to be exact. We're gonna rent one of the smaller van style units.

Just becuase they are so hard headed about this whole ordeal, they get nothing from me.

Ryan

You are better off that way. UHaul means that you haul their crap to a safe spot to wait for them to come and fix it again.

i rented a trailer from them at the end of july 2003, 4x6 or something like that, went from los angeles, california to dallas, texas.

then i rented it again, only this time a 6x10 i think. same trip, except reverse, at the beginning of november 2003. that sucker was heavy, and made my back end sag slightly, but i made it. got like 12MPG though

guess i got in right before their "ban"

oh and i didn't roll over once... =)

Uhaul would have cringed if they saw me tow one of their car haulers behind my truck with the camper loaded. My camper weighs about 4k, add the trailer with a 36 inch extension hitch and I was probably 16-17k all up. I always pick up the trailer with the powerstroke and empty at that. Then I re-hitch everything up the way I plan to move it later on. The Mounty gets to tow the Mustang or a enclosed trailer this time around. Still shopping hitches.

In August of 2003 I rented a U-haul trailer and towed it from Louisiana to Virginia. I wanted to rent an auto trialer to move my other car behind my X and NO ONE, I mean NO ONE, will rent a trialer to me because of this U-haul crap. I went to Budget and they told me I had to rent one of their trucks to get a trailer. Same thing with Penske and Ryder. It's a metric Butt-load of crap. I up for anything against U-haul.

I was talking to someone about it today, and they said that it's not just because of the rollover risk, but also because of the explorer transmissions getting chewed up because of the angle of the driveline or something.

EskimoMan said:
I was talking to someone about it today, and they said that it's not just because of the rollover risk, but also because of the explorer transmissions getting chewed up because of the angle of the driveline or something.

No offense to you, but did the someone you talked with work for Uhaul? Besides the fact that the trans getting "chewed up" is BS, I can't imagine that Uhaul really cares whether the Explorer gets damaged or not. As long as no one sues them over it anyway.

There's nothing wrong with the driveline angles. Otherwise they'd ban Mazda Navajos, Mercury Mountaineers, Ford Rangers, Bronco II's, and Mazda B-series trucks as well. Its purely a situation where they believe they're covering their own butts by banning the nameplate, due to the bad publicity they experienced with some kids rolled an Ex with a trailer behind it and died. Its obvious that it has nothing to do with the mechanics of the vehicle, otherwise the 3rd gen Explorer would be approved. There's no problem with it towing, it just got wrapped up in U-Haul's lousy business decision. Definition of a badly run business? One that is still going bankrupt when they essentially have a monopoly on their market. Just like U-Haul.

jayhawkexplorer said:
Definition of a badly run business? One that is still going bankrupt when they essentially have a monopoly on their market. Just like U-Haul.

Well said. :thumbsup:

The driveline angle isn't what makes the v6 trannies junk. They'd be junk at any angle :confused:

ironic isnt it that u haul still uses a picture of a explorer towing the covered trailer in their ads at each location. tried to rent one early one morning and was told they wouldnt do it... thought the guy was just screwin with me at first. hertz has my buis from now on.

When our club went to Moab last year, My friends Bronco died about an hour and a half from the city. We go try and get a U-haul in Moab (bad dealership anyway) but the rest of our party only has Explorers. Finally I used the hint on this site and told him it was a Mazda Navajo and we got one. Thankfully!

supcoop20 said:
ironic isnt it that u haul still uses a picture of a explorer towing the covered trailer in their ads at each location. tried to rent one early one morning and was told they wouldnt do it... thought the guy was just screwin with me at first. hertz has my buis from now on.

Hertz has trailers for rent??

The subject is obviously not going away. I shot a quick email to Ford Customer Service just to see where things stood, and here is my answer:

Subject: 1995 / Ford / Explorer Vehicle Operation and Measurements
From: "Ford Division" <crcforddiv@customersupportctr.com> Add to Address Book

Dear Lloyd,

Thank you for your message of 01/19/05 regarding the Ford Explorer. We
appreciate the time you have taken to inquire about U-Haul's policy on
renting to owners of this vehicle.

We regret any inconvenience you may have encountered in attempting to
rent a U-Haul trailer. Ford Motor Company is still working with U-Haul
to develop solutions that best serve the customers of both companies.
In the meantime, Explorer owners should understand that the Ford
Explorer is one of the safest vehicles on the road and is certainly a
very capable towing vehicle. Please feel free to use another towing
rental company for your needs.

We hope this information is of assistance. Ford Motor Company is
committed to maintaining a satisfying and long-term relationship with
our customers. Your loyalty is valued and appreciated. We would like
you to continue to enjoy the many Ford products and services that we
have to offer.

At Ford Motor Company, we consider the satisfaction of our customers as
one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries
or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to
address them.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,
Bill
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

City: Chestnut Ridge
State: NY
ZIP: 10977
EMail Address:
Vehicle Owner: Yes
Telephone Number:

Model Year: 1995
Brand: Ford
Model: Explorer
VIN Number: 2FDMU34X5SZA80179
Mileage:

Category of Query/Concern: Vehicle Operation and Measurements
Site Escalating From: ford
Description of Issue/Concern: Is the Ford Motor Company doing anything
to convince U-Haul that it is safe to rent trailers for use with the
Explorer with tow packages? Is any progress being made?<

Entire Conversation: Hello! My name is Kate. I'm here to answer your
questions about Ford, Lincoln and Mercury products and services. Please
find (to your left) categories indicating areas of information I'm
familiar with.

If you decide to type in a question, I work best if the question is
entered in a sentence format (Ex. What kind of vehicles do you make?)
However, too many sentences might confuse me so please try to make them
short and concise.

Since I'm unable to diagnose a problem with your vehicle online, our
dealerships are in the best position to assist. Their staffs are
comprised of highly trained experts with a focus on Ford, Lincoln and
Mercury products. Through our Dealership Locator, you will not only be
able to search for dealerships in your area but also dealerships that
have the ability to schedule an online appointment. Additionally, there
are technical resources available. Some of the manuals can be viewed
for
free while others, such as technical diagrams, service bulletins, shop
manuals, diagnostics and Ford Module Programming, may be purchased
through an online subscription.

Please keep in mind that I'm learning new things daily so be sure to
visit often.

For optimal functionality, please disengage any pop-up blocking
software. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd be great if this did just go away. U haul won't rent to Explorers. Ever. They are a private company and can disqualify any vehicle they want. What's the big deal? All they rent is trash anyways. If you want to give your money to a piss poor company, that will likely rent you something that will leave you stranded, then pick up the u haul with another vehicle, and lie about what you are towing. Any letters to Ford, or U haul will just result in a form letter response like the one you recieved above. The Explorer is now a liability, and always will be. Ford isn't going to help you. Their customer sevice sucks, and ends as soon as the vehicle is off of the showroom floor.

Back