Warrior 153 shackles install with pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warrior 153 shackles install with pics

if you look in my registry there is a pic of the truck when it was stock suspension with 31s, a picture with shackles and leveling coils on 31s, then pictures of the 4" lift and 31s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

30 mins???

Obviously you don;t have to deal with road salt and winter: )

I think it took me three days to get everything dismantled, using WD-40 PB blaster, heater, an impact gun and 3 foot breaker bar. In the end I had to replace the bushings in the frame side of the mount because the metal sleeve had become one with the shackle bolt and separated from the bushing when I removed the bolt.

Snow?, salt? Iwondered about all the rust on the old shackles, now I know why :p::D
p.s. I got a drawing of D.I.Y. extended shackles somewhere else on the forum & they looked identical to the ones on here.

could you post before and after pics of the whole truck with this lift? if not i would settle for an after pic

easier way

good writeup. i jacked the whole rear up, used jack stands under the frame to support the truck (right in front of the leaf packs).

once i did that, i put the floor jack under the pumpkin to lift/lower the truck, and that made it super easy to take the shackles off both sides. then put the new ones on.

slc

holladay area, near vanwinkle if you know the area

30 mins???

Obviously you don;t have to deal with road salt and winter: )

I think it took me three days to get everything dismantled, using WD-40 PB blaster, heater, an impact gun and 3 foot breaker bar. In the end I had to replace the bushings in the frame side of the mount because the metal sleeve had become one with the shackle bolt and separated from the bushing when I removed the bolt.

Well as he mentioned PB blaster is a friend to all of us, no matter our skill levels. I myself have found that a good old butane torch + pb blaster is a god send! For most things a good initial generous application of pb and make sure you plan ahead. Take the torch, turn it to a little bit of flame (no reason to turn your Ford into a bonfire). Heat the bolt or nut for a good amount of time, then spray pb on the area. The thing is that if you are looking to remove a seized nut, heat the nut and spray where the bolt is feeding through each side. The heat expands, the pb blaster is then sucked into the area of the seize. This has worked wonders.

Be warned though, being that you are using a torch using it near fuel lines, tank and such will result in a longer list of things to do.

Has anyone done BOTH warrior shackles & AAL?

yeah.. i ran my truck for almost a year with an AAL and the shackles. the rear end rode STIFF, like if you hit a speedbump slightly too fast your head was going in the roof. if youre looking for more lift than what the shackles alone would give you id reccomend lift leaf packs. ive been very happy with mine, they ride so much better than the AALs and I left the warrior shackles on, for now.

I have both and it rides just like it did when it was stock. Love the little lift and the AAL gives me that little bit more for all the camping gear five people and my trailer and three quads and it sits level with 500Lb of tongue weight plus cargo. I love it I'd recommend it.

This post may just convince him that it is easy enough for me to do! Thank you!

Im about to put the shackles on but i have a tow hitch on it and i am affriad the new shackles will hit the hitch. Has any one had this problem?

yeah im think about the same thing as this guy ^^^^^^^^

I've got the 4" extended shackles & no probs with them hitting the "Ford Heavy Duty Tow Bar", if anything they bottom out on the ground in heavy 4wding before the tow bar. :D

You only have to lift the truck under the frame and adjust high to fit your shackles

Easier than lift under the U bolts and then use an other jack to adjust the high.

Don't even need to take off the wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You only have to lift the truck under the frame and adjust high to fit your shackles

Easier than lift under the U bolts and then use an other jack to adjust the high.

Don't even need to take off the wheels.

Very true!

Back