What Are Some Good Ways to Get Better MPG | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Are Some Good Ways to Get Better MPG

for low cost mpg improvment, clean air filter and proper tire pressure help i get about 27 mpg.

Will a K&N Drop in Filter work better?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As for me, I was trying to give you suggestions that really won't cost anything, or just some maintenance costs. If you've got money, there are tons of customizations that can improve your mpg.

Hot air intake? Do you (or your friend) mean cold air intake (or CAI)? Not too bad, but not much gain in MPG. A few hp, but it might actually lower the MPG.

Lowering the vehicle will improve the aerodynamics. Improvement. But lots of stuff go along with that - like alignment, etc.

Electric fan might give back a hp or three, and that might add a MPG or two.

Try the change in driving habits before you spend tons of $$ in mods.
I mean Warm Air Intake its supposed to make it easier on the engine as it requires less fuel to be squirted by the injectors.
Yea i need to research how to do the drop correctly that way i do it once and do it right

Oh the other 2 things I failed to mention. A good oil change and a CLEAN air filter work wonders.

As far as the exhaust goes, put a good aftermarket one on there. You have a 5 speed so it could be fun to enjoy the exhaust tone and still drive like a sane person.

If you need ideas on what exhaust sounds good to you visit youtube. We won't be able to tell YOU what sounds good as WE all have different opinions.

When you do the exhaust, do a 2.25 or 2.5 pipe/ cat/ muffler setup. That in-conjunction with everything else will free up some power and mpg. (provided you can keep your foot out of it). I have a 2.5 on mine. There have been several arguments on what size exhaust pipe is the best.... I say use your best judgement. Since you're in CA with the "wonderful" emissions inspections, I would prob do a 2.5 from y-pipe thru cat and muffler, then a 2.25 tailpipe. Supposedly this was the recommended one.

I live in no emissions area and mine is a 2.5 from behind the stock cat to muffler than dumped at axle. I saw a very noticeable "seat of the pants" power improvement.

I have the 5.0 sensor, and I haven't seen a decrease in economy. A lot of my driving is in town and I probably get between 15.5-16.5 mpg. I haven't checked it lately so I'm only guessing. I know on the highway (verified several times) I get 20.5-21.5 depending if I go with traffic of the speed limit.

I will agree with above that driving slower saves gas. Yes all the other impatient a-holes will make obscene gestures and etc.... but you're driving a brick.... there's not much else to make it get OMFG good gas mpg. If ya wanted that kind of good gas MPG I'm sure you would've got something in that category.

Enough ranting on my part. The moral of the story is, tune up+ fresh oil change+ clean air filter+ slower driving= decent explorer gas mileage.

The jury is still out on weather a cold air (more like hot air) intake and a larger diameter exhaust help with power and mpg's.

Thanks for reading my response, good luck, and have a blessed day.

for low cost mpg improvment, clean air filter and proper tire pressure help i get about 27 mpg.

Apples & oranges, we are talking about a 94. Your 2000 has many improvements in engine trans drive-train, & computers.

OP ours are similar. I recently got 18.5 all HW at 65-70 with the AC on, about 295 miles out of the tank.

But all other times I get less then 15. It's my driving habits. I drive aggressively. I wind up the RPM's, quick shift & drive above the speed limit everywhere. With the AC cranked all year(it's hot in south FLA)
I had 3 1st gens & they all got around the same mileage.

My suggestion is go back to the stock maf sensor, and change your driving habits. Allow a bit more time and smile as people pass you going 65 mph max.

Remove the roof rack. Stick your arm out the window doing 65 and feel how much force it takes to keep it straight. Then, compare the surface area of your arm to the roof rack.

Eliminate any forward rake to the vehicle. Looking at the side of the truck, the running boards should be level, while the roof appears to slant down toward the rear. Believe it or not, a roof which slants back will benefit from a bit of push, while one which rakes forward creates more surface area, and more HP of loss due to drag.

One this is done you can establish a baseline to work from and start monitoring each mod you make.

I am not cutting on the idea of the 5.0 maf "working" however I do question whether it is the most efficient choice. Messing with the air metering is risky to say the least.

Just my .02

Yea I'm going to start planning trips and taking my times instead of saying "Ill be there and five".
I don't know about the roof rack it looks weird without it but i guess i can try it. The MAF came with the rebuild so I just kept it. Thanks for your help.

Oh the other 2 things I failed to mention. A good oil change and a CLEAN air filter work wonders.

As far as the exhaust goes, put a good aftermarket one on there. You have a 5 speed so it could be fun to enjoy the exhaust tone and still drive like a sane person.

If you need ideas on what exhaust sounds good to you visit youtube. We won't be able to tell YOU what sounds good as WE all have different opinions.

When you do the exhaust, do a 2.25 or 2.5 pipe/ cat/ muffler setup. That in-conjunction with everything else will free up some power and mpg. (provided you can keep your foot out of it). I have a 2.5 on mine. There have been several arguments on what size exhaust pipe is the best.... I say use your best judgement. Since you're in CA with the "wonderful" emissions inspections, I would prob do a 2.5 from y-pipe thru cat and muffler, then a 2.25 tailpipe. Supposedly this was the recommended one.

I live in no emissions area and mine is a 2.5 from behind the stock cat to muffler than dumped at axle. I saw a very noticeable "seat of the pants" power improvement.

I have the 5.0 sensor, and I haven't seen a decrease in economy. A lot of my driving is in town and I probably get between 15.5-16.5 mpg. I haven't checked it lately so I'm only guessing. I know on the highway (verified several times) I get 20.5-21.5 depending if I go with traffic of the speed limit.

I will agree with above that driving slower saves gas. Yes all the other impatient a-holes will make obscene gestures and etc.... but you're driving a brick.... there's not much else to make it get OMFG good gas mpg. If ya wanted that kind of good gas MPG I'm sure you would've got something in that category.

Enough ranting on my part. The moral of the story is, tune up+ fresh oil change+ clean air filter+ slower driving= decent explorer gas mileage.

The jury is still out on weather a cold air (more like hot air) intake and a larger diameter exhaust help with power and mpg's.

Thanks for reading my response, good luck, and have a blessed day.

Yeah I will be getting the quietest exhaust i can possibly get and probably will be going for the 2.5 I doubt police will harass me. And I will try and drive slow as that seems like it's the only way to get better MPG.
And yea I didn't really expect to get 30MPG but 13MPG is nothing.
Thank you for the time you took out of your day to reply

I used to get just about 20mpg in the country roads in Kentucky, in a 4 door 2wd.

It had the (previously mentioned) exhaust work done, a larger MAF, the airbox was modified, and I kept that puppy tuned up (!).

Synthetic engine oil helped me too.

Lucas fuel injector cleaner about once a month seemed to help also. The little bottle is WAY too expensive, I bought the big bottle and refilled the little one I had every time it was ready.

I'm including a link to summit racing, and a dynomax exhaust "CAT back" system. You'll have to figure out the CAT problem I guess - the one listed might be for a four door, so check for the right one!

The kit is like $125, with a $75 rebate right now. (!)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17415

I used to get just about 20mpg in the country roads in Kentucky, in a 4 door 2wd.

It had the (previously mentioned) exhaust work done, a larger MAF, the airbox was modified, and I kept that puppy tuned up (!).

Lucas fuel injector cleaner about once a month seemed to help also. The little bottle is WAY too expensive, I bought the big bottle and refilled the little one I had every time it was ready.

I'm including a link to summit racing, and a dynomax exhaust "CAT back" system. You'll have to figure out the CAT problem I guess - the one listed might be for a four door, so check for the right one!

The kit is like $125, with a $75 rebate right now. (!)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17415

Alright thanks for the information.

I didn't think that kit was worth the cost. i bought it a few years ago. After shipping and having it installed was over $350. The pipe is not mandrel bent, they are press bent. the same thing any exhaust shop can do.

Buy the 2.5" super turbo muffler and 2.5" cat. take them to an exhaust shop and tell them to bend you a pipe. It will cost about $150 all done. Less if you know someone or shop around.

By the way I am not bashing Dynomax. I feel they make some of the best mufflers out there. I just think it's a better deal not to pay for shipping a pipe that can be made locally for less.

Yeah I will be getting the quietest exhaust i can possibly get and probably will be going for the 2.5 I doubt police will harass me. And I will try and drive slow as that seems like it's the only way to get better MPG.
And yea I didn't really expect to get 30MPG but 13MPG is nothing.
Thank you for the time you took out of your day to reply

I doubt the police will harass you on an explorer, unless you run straight pipes. They are prob looking for the import gurus w/ their LOUD exhausts.

My single biggest gain in mpgs was a clean air filter, I kinda overlooked that. It seemed clean but I guess it wasn't. I also made my own intake all the way up to the throttle body. But then again from what I understand in CA (never lived there/ or gone through an inspection that hardcore), that doesn't set too well with the visual inspection.

My FM muffler doesn't drone inside at all. I am only running this muffler cause I got it so cheap. $20 for the muffler and about 3 feet of pipe. A J**P guy was selling random stuff to offset his motor rebuild. I found it on craigslist, so there is that option for a low cost aftermarket muffler.

Agreed on the synthetic oil... I ran mobil 1 in my old accord, that car loved it, and rewarded me with very good mpg... yes it was a 4 cyl.... and I know this is nowhere near the same engine/ vehicle family.

I run motorcraft semi-syn 5w30, I like it.

I also like lucas fuel cleaner as well.

As far as big bottle of lucas.... Nedwreck that is a VG idea. I hadn't thought of that before.

Agreed on the synthetic oil... I ran mobil 1 in my old accord, that car loved it, and rewarded me with very good mpg... yes it was a 4 cyl.... and I know this is nowhere near the same engine/ vehicle family.

As far as big bottle of lucas.... Nedwreck that is a VG idea. I hadn't thought of that before.

Thank You.

I'm just a tightwad.

The big bottle makes a lot of sense when you figure out how many times it will re-fill the small bottle.

:salute:

I doubt the police will harass you on an explorer, unless you run straight pipes. They are prob looking for the import gurus w/ their LOUD exhausts.

My single biggest gain in mpgs was a clean air filter, I kinda overlooked that. It seemed clean but I guess it wasn't. I also made my own intake all the way up to the throttle body. But then again from what I understand in CA (never lived there/ or gone through an inspection that hardcore), that doesn't set too well with the visual inspection.

My FM muffler doesn't drone inside at all. I am only running this muffler cause I got it so cheap. $20 for the muffler and about 3 feet of pipe. A J**P guy was selling random stuff to offset his motor rebuild. I found it on craigslist, so there is that option for a low cost aftermarket muffler.

Yep an Explorer wouldn't get too much attention. Police already have their hands full.
Yeah I'm going to get myself a K&N drop in filter for Smog and make a intake for the rest of the time.
And to the muffler I'm looking into that doesnt make much noise as i drive for a decent amount of miles. Would you happen to have any ideas?
Thank you for your help.

Alright I'll be picking up 5 quarts of Synthetic this weekend as my oil change is due.
Thank You for your help

If there's any difference using synthetic oil on a 19 year old gas guzzling 155hp 4500 lb truck based SUV I have not seen it. Basic oil changes every 3-4K miles is all I'll ever do.
I will not pay for that dream. YMMV

If there's any difference using synthetic oil on a 19 year old gas guzzling 155hp 4500 lb truck based SUV I have not seen it. Basic oil changes every 3-4K miles is all I'll ever do.
I will not pay for that dream. YMMV

Hard to say other than I've done the mpg math. On 2 different vehicles with a sh**ton of miles got me 2mpg more than conventional oil.

first was a 94 ranger 2.3 w/ 230k 19 in town regular oil to 21 in town w/ motorcraft semi-syn 5w30.

second 92 xploder 200k 16 in town regular oil to 18.

I started running this oil from the ranger because the parts store was having a sale on it.

This is my only proof that you get a lil bit better gas mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank You.

I'm just a tightwad.

The big bottle makes a lot of sense when you figure out how many times it will re-fill the small bottle.

:salute:

I do the VERY same thing with my 20oz mtn dew bottles... refill from a 2ltr :D

Back