3.5L Ecoboost Owners - What MPG are you getting? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.5L Ecoboost Owners - What MPG are you getting?

That really sucks. Something is obviously wrong with your vehicles. I have a 2017 Platinum, so same engine as your Sport and my average mileage around town is about 16 and on the hiway about 21 to 23 using only 87 octane ARCO gas
I have 2018 Platinum. The same 3.5 Ecoboost engine. This is frustrating. I’m in Canada and use mostly Shell 91. This is mad! I love the explorer. But this makes me want to get rid of it. Any help from someone with similar issues and was able to get it fixed will be much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Michael. :wave:
Are those converted L/100 km in U.S. or U.K. (Canadian) miles? Also, the dash readout is usually more generous than the actual mileage.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Michael. :wave:
Are those convetred L/100 km in U.S. or U.K. (Canadian) miles? Also, the dash readout is usually more generous than the actual mileage.

Peter
Thanks Peter. In Canada we use L/100KM. Right now it’s averages between 19.8-21L/100KM which is about 11-12MPG. And this is dash readings and using the Fuelly app.

I'm currently using 87 Octane in my Sport and not getting any impressive MPG numbers. Curious what MPG others are getting and what octane you're using. Aside from keeping the tires properly inflated and driving conservatively are there any other options (tune, etc) to increase MPG?
About 18mpg overall. Ugh.

I'm aware of the L/100 km as I'm in Canada as well (see margin profile) and also use Fuelly. Looking at my previous 2017 Platinum, it shows that it averaged 12.8 L/100 km over its last 10 fill-ups. The best ever was 8.3 L/100 km. I only use Petro-Canada 91. My driving was about 50/50 city/hwy. Of course this time of year is the worst to figure out mileage.

Peter

I'm aware of the L/100 km as I'm in Canada as well (see margin profile) and also use Fuelly. Looking at my previous 2017 Platinum, it shows that it averaged 12.8 L/100 km over its last 10 fill-ups. The best ever was 8.3 L/100 km. I only use Petro-Canada 91. My driving was about 50/50 city/hwy. Of course this time of year is the worst to figure out mileage.

Peter
Ok. I’m guessing you’re in Ontario? I have a friend out there with the same vehicle and he use Petro-Canada 91 and gets good fuel economy. I’m in Manitoba and took a trip to Banff which was a 12 hour drive one way and best I got was 10.2. I might switch to Petro maybe it’ll help I don’t know.

Ok. I’m guessing you’re in Ontario? I have a friend out there with the same vehicle and he use Petro-Canada 91 and gets good fuel economy. I’m in Manitoba and took a trip to Banff which was a 12 hour drive one way and best I got was 10.2. I might switch to Petro maybe it’ll help I don’t know.
The main reason I used Petro-Canasa gas is because I can save 13 cents/L (.59/gal) with my CC and their 10 cents off card. :)

Peter

My 2017 Sport (67K miles) has averaged 16-17 in the city and 20-22 on the highway. In the last couple of months I've seen a big drop, mostly getting 13-15 mpg in mixed driving. I've checked tire pressure - ok. Oil reads a bit high on the dipstick, wondering if that could impact mileage. Also switched to a K&N reusable air filter in the stock box. I'll try eliminating the variables 1x1 but if that doesn't work it's off to the dealer. Strange to have this sudden drop. Typically run 87 Octane in Calif.

My 2017 Sport (67K miles) has averaged 16-17 in the city and 20-22 on the highway. In the last couple of months I've seen a big drop, mostly getting 13-15 mpg in mixed driving. I've checked tire pressure - ok. Oil reads a bit high on the dipstick, wondering if that could impact mileage. Also switched to a K&N reusable air filter in the stock box. I'll try eliminating the variables 1x1 but if that doesn't work it's off to the dealer. Strange to have this sudden drop. Typically run 87 Octane in Calif.

How long have you owned your Sport?

Does Cali have 'winter blend' fuel?
I know in MN, I notice a hit on mileage over the winter due to both cold and fuel blend change.

How high is 'a bit high' for oil level? A little bit over full probably won't hurt anything or impact mileage.

Last, the K&N won't have any impact on fuel mileage unless the stock type is completely plugged (at which point the engine probably won't run properly).

Thought I'd throw my figures in here as well.

I am total city driving, lots of stop and go. At best I get 14mpg, the lowest is 11.7 or so.

Getting ready for a big trip to Philly from Tampa. Hoping to get low 20s during the trip. We will see.

EDIT: I should add that I have no engine modifications at all. New tires at recommended air pressure. Not a lead foot except when necessary. 65k miles.

We just took our 2015 sport with 102,000miles on about a 300 mile trip. On flat roads going 60mph we were getting about 24mpg, at 90 were getting about 17mpg.

Coming from a jeep commander this was better than what we were getting and the jeep struggled to cruise at 80, also the explorer is WAY more fun and comfy to drive.

I have EX Sport 17

Always running 35 psi all tires 90% city drive, avg 15.7 ~ 17.1 hand calculator for my very happy in hwy 20 ~23 mpg throttle consistency is a big factor, i have question active shutter grille in hwy, close over 60 mph?

Updating my earlier post. I'm now at 78K miles on my 2017 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost. Consistently getting 14.8 to 15.5 around town. 20-22 if I'm just on the freeway at reasonable 70ish speeds. I run 87 Octane, usually Costco gas. Tires are checked weekly and kept at 36 cold. I do live in a mountainous area so lots of ups and downs. I'd think they average out but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have EX Sport 17

Always running 35 psi all tires 90% city drive, avg 15.7 ~ 17.1 hand calculator for my very happy in hwy 20 ~23 mpg throttle consistency is a big factor, i have question active shutter grille in hwy, close over 60 mph?
"The ECM operates the shutter to the closed position when all the conditions of the active grille shutter are met: Vehicle speed – approximately 19-88 MPH (30 - 140 km/h) Engine coolant temperature – less than 203°F (95°C) Engine oil temperature – less than 284°F (140°C)"

Peter

I'm currently using 87 Octane in my Sport and not getting any impressive MPG numbers. Curious what MPG others are getting and what octane you're using. Aside from keeping the tires properly inflated and driving conservatively are there any other options (tune, etc) to increase MPG?
2016 platinum 3.5 Ecobost. I get 17+ in town up to 23 highway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back