When you're stronger than the wrench. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When you're stronger than the wrench.

Next time get a breaker bar. Thats what they are for. Better yet get a good breaker bar, Snap on, MAC, Craftsman. Don't buy cheap tools or you'll buy 'em again. Buy quality tools pay for 'em once.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heh, I think when something like this happens, you don't try again, you use a breaker bar, or at least switch to 1/2 inch.

That is why Craftsman/Snap on /MAC tools are a quite a bit more $$ than cheapo taiwan tools..You only have to buy them once....

I split a Craftsman 1/2" drive, 15mm socket down the side when I was trying to take the xfer case out of my '92 X. Bolt was a tad tight, so I had both feet braced on the frame and was pulling pretty hard on the ratchet when the socket let go. Socket wrench came straight back and whaled me in the mouth. 4 hours, 3 stitches in my upper lip, and a new socket later, I managed to get the bolt out :rolleyes:.

Well I will dig around for a few of my broken tools and snap some pics of them.

I have managed to break quite a few in the past months. So far I have had a socket split down the side, bent the arm on a breaker bar and spun the square head off a ratchet. I have managed to even bend an open end wrench into a U-shape.

Post the pics of your tools that you have broken if you can.

Back home my dad has a couple of box end wrenches that are bent. WHen I was doing my lift I used my own wal-mart specials...they were ok didn't use them much, but my tools of choice were my fathers s&k's and my favorite tool a craftsman breaker bar. That pic though reminded me of my first ratchet....my dad broke it somehow and welded it back together for me....wasn't good for doing anything heavy with but for a little boy it was great!

Later
CP :D

hey now, don't be putting down my home city...doesn't look like u bought the good stuff, thats stuffs the taiwan speicals...lol...craftsman all the way

adam

Oh for all you guys who keep breaking thier tools "Righty tighty. Lefty loosey". This might help. LMAO

Originally posted by frickea86
hey now, don't be putting down my home city...doesn't look like u bought the good stuff, thats stuffs the taiwan speicals...lol...craftsman all the way

adam

Craftsman or not you still need the right tool. Craftsman helps you replace it when you have the wrong tool.

I should've used a breaker bar, but couldn't find a 1/2" socket for it so I used the 3/8" instead. I put all my might into it and it broke letting my right forearm ram into the fender well. It's a bit bruised...and sore.....*tear*....LOL

After that I decided to find the 1/2" socket and used the bar. If I remember correctly I was tightening a brake caliper bolt.

Originally posted by ipozestu
Next time get a breaker bar. Thats what they are for. Better yet get a good breaker bar, Snap on, MAC, Craftsman. Don't buy cheap tools or you'll buy 'em again. Buy quality tools pay for 'em once.

Like I said before, they belong to my father-in-law....... :p

He has all the big tools I don't have the room to store. I have borken so many sockets of his in that Pitsburg set it's not even funny. Well...actually...it is kinda funny, he buys all the cheap stuff and I come over and break it all....LOL

You know, this may be a good time to start scheming a joint family x-mas present for me.....lol...*cough*SNAP-ON*cough* :D

I snapped a Crafstman ratchet. Snap-On in the way to go.

Hmmm, if you really want some Snap-On tools, I have a full set of 1/4 and 3/8 (metric and english) that I havent used. I got them as a Xmas present but never had the guts to use those pretty tools. How lame huh?

Originally posted by BLUZ
Hmmm, if you really want some Snap-On tools, I have a full set of 1/4 and 3/8 (metric and english) that I havent used. I got them as a Xmas present but never had the guts to use those pretty tools. How lame huh?

LOL:D That's as bad as lifting an Explorer and putting it on 35's then being too afraid to go wheel it for fear of breaking it!!:rolleyes: :D

At least I admit it is lame. I have a set of Stanleys and Craftsman that I use regularly and to be honest I do not see a need to use my Snap on tools really. I do have their torque wrench that I use once in a blue moon. I also have their leak down tester that I never use either....I think its time to Ebay this stuff.

I hear you I have a few duplicate tools that I have only as a back up. Ya know "In case of emergency .. Break Glass"

Post them in the for sale thread first and see if someone on here wants to buy them first. Heck I might even want them.

Originally posted by TippsTheFoo
I snapped a Crafstman ratchet. Snap-On in the way to go.

Snap-On are way better tool than Craftsmen but for the money (value) I'd go with Craftsmen everytime. I haven't managed to break any of mine yet except some small 10mm socket :eek: . I guess I'm not that strong. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by X~FACTOR
Snap-On are way better tool than Craftsmen but for the money (value) I'd go with Craftsmen everytime. I haven't managed to break any of mine yet except some small 10mm socket :eek: . I guess I'm not that strong. :D

hehehe ..... I guess not!! I almost pulled my truck off its jack stands trying to break loose the RA bolts under the Axle. Man I had to be applying something like 300 ft'/lbs of torque. Or was it in/lbs, well either way it scared the heck out of me when my cheater bar bent, I knew then that my method of brute force was not going to cut it that time and I had to use my other muscle in my head!:D

Back