OK,I give up,Where is the fill and drain plug? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OK,I give up,Where is the fill and drain plug?

hank19-1

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
93 Explorer-4WD Auto-Trans I bought this vehicle a couple of weeks ago and I want to change all the fluids. ATF fluid and filter has been done. Now I want to change the fluid in the transfer case. I got the fluid and i'm ready to go except I can't find the fill or drain plug. The only plug I can see is the one where you check the level of the fluid. I took the skid plate off. Do I have to remove something else to find the plugs? Thanks for your help! John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I just use the check fluid level thing..Im not sure where the drain plug is though.. i think you just have to drop the pan but im not sure about that.

the drain plug is behind the vibration dampening weights. right under the shift motor. ther are 4 bolts holding it on. it will be right ther cant miss it

I thought the transfer case was supplied by the tranny. I need to change mine as well. What are you supposed to use for lube?

Transfer case-fluid type

The transfer case is seperate from the auto trans. It takes ATF fluid. What type it takes depends on the year. My 93 take Mercon ATF.

Back