Help! Where to buy c-clip, splined washer for axle shaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Where to buy c-clip, splined washer for axle shaft

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
I need these two parts. I call them a c-clip and a splined washer

I hate to say it, but I don't know what they're called, where to get them or a Ford part number. I've gone to a few FORD parts counters to try to buy them and the guy basically has told me that he needs the model number on the diff tag (which I do not have) to look up any parts and that the VIN doesn't do him any good.

SO for the record

Part-
part number-
where to buy-

Thanks Ted (as I've got a bet with myself that you will be the first to give me the answer)

Attachments

• 100_0230.jpg
    100_0230.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 12,853

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last week I got some from the JY when I had to buy an AutoHub for my X, while I shipped the Warn Manuals back to Warn...

But to answer your question, Ford calls your "splined washer" an 'Axle Shaft Spacer'. And your "C-clip" is called a 'Snap Ring'...that info is right out of the 1992 Ford Manual.

Ryan

Car Quest carries them around here
with the spindle nut kits

Pretty sure I got the splined washer at one of the regular parts stores when I needed one a few years ago.

TED!!! You're slipping. :p:

Lmc truck carries them

...Aw man, I'm at work and on the phone...:rolleyes:...I'm sorry, I really am slipping..:(

...I've got schematics with them here, but no P/N...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232576

...And I have the actual info with P/n tucked in my Haynes in the X...I can get it tomorrow if someone doesn't post it sooner...:(

...I get mine at the junkyard for free, or a buck or so...They say no one ever comes in for them...I did the ford search out here and the only Ford Dealer that carried that part was in Phoenix...:dunno:

...Ok, I'm still working and have had a couple minutes to search...

...The C clip is = P/N 42570 (aka by Ford-"snap ring")

...The splined washer is a "variable part" but can be found in this kit at the Ford Dealer - P/N F57Z-3B458-A is the part number, it's 3 washers. Plain steel, plastic, and the splined steel washer ...

...Be sure to verify these as Ford made different variables...;)

..:scratch:..The Ford Guy may have meant that you need the B.O.M. ...It is a sticker on your front axle which is a "Bill Of Material" sticker noting the build date and axle info...

...Spdrcer34 did give the proper names as per Dana-Spicer, " Ford calls your "splined washer" an 'Axle Shaft Spacer'. And your "C-clip" is called a 'Snap Ring' "

...Pm for billing being sent...:p:

...I had the same problem on my right side and thought it was a spindle nut problem...I was eating up those washers and bearings, faster than I could find them...I later replaced the rotor and solved this problem...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199915

...Those splined washers straighten out easy with a hammer, but too many times of straightening them, they will crack...

Thanks Guys !! Anybody else mushroom out and damage the axle shaft spacer on a regular basis? I guess that would be a sign of the spindle nuts being too loose.

My axle shaft spacer mushroomed after I serviced the wheel bearings on my explorer but i think i may have gotten them too tight. Instead of being too loose. And of course it only did it on the right side too.

still gotta replace that darn thing too :cool:

Danny with teh c clip eliminator in tyhe slip yoke on my TTB there is always a + pressure on teh pass side axleshaft, its always pushing into the spindle....so I wear out the splined washers like no tomorrow, no matter how well my wheel bearings are maintained (can you say like 6 times a year, repack, re torque, replace bearings about every 2 years because I run them tight)
it wear out

So I swap them side to side (pass to drivers) and I also flip them around (wears out on the back side) this keeps them working longer :)

Mine does not mushroom, just a nice groove all the way around

The key to keeping the spindle nuts tight is a nice good spindle with no fubar threads, a new lock ring washer that FITS in the groove (the lock tabs wear out), look at Rookies thread he weldedon a bit of extra material to the lock tab and then filed it down so it fits the spindle 100% tight, THIS IS A GREAT IDEA, it keeps them from walking and getting loose

I set my preload by the book buy the final torque on the inner nut is 18ft lbs (not 16 in lbs) for me
the outer jamb nut gets my snap on 24" driver with a 3' breaker bar, approx 180-200 ft lbs

I have a collection of spindles, they are getting harder to find in the yard in primo condition, once the threads are messed up, you can chase them once or twice, but then they need to be ditched

Modify your lock ring washer = keeps your spindle nuts right where you put them, bearings preloaded and in good shape.

Also some of the outer spindle nuts are much thicker then the others, the heavy duty ones work the best.

modified TTB + 35's = expect to maintain the wheel bearings, U joints, ball joints, and tie rods way more often LOL
I can do it in my sleep!

well, I went to the Ford dealer.

The Axle Shaft Spacer part number Ted gave is good to go, none in AZ, $16.00 for that.

The part number for the snap-ring is no good, the diagram he pulled out again was a Dana 44 style hub with the removable cap :banghead: and we took a guess at a part number that has been never ordered, not in the state and they are $6.00 each with no certainty of actually being shipped.

I'm thinking junkyard run tomorrow for valentine's day. The lady is working on a special project with the all star game here anyway.

....Be sure to get a few of those parts if you can, from the junk yard...Those small parts take up little room in a trail bag but trying to find them when you need them is getting tougher these days...

....There is a junkyard by Truckhaven that I tend to stop at to get the parts we cant find locally...

....Be sure to get a few of those parts if you can, from the junk yard...Those small parts take up little room in a trail bag but trying to find them when you need them is getting tougher these days...

....There is a junkyard by Truckhaven that I tend to stop at to get the parts we cant find locally...

I hear that, you know how I pack on the trail, everything but a diff for the front end. I'm just kicking myself because after I swapped my 44 in my old truck I got rid of my reciept from Napa and my box for my manual hubs that had a lifetime warranty.

From reading your other thread I probably need rotors, spindles and the worst is figuring out how I got the lug studs that fit a 1 1/8" lug nuts on stock Explorer rotors.

your rotors were probably drilled for the 5/8" studs, common upgrade for deseert trucks, I am sure John at AutoFAB cold tell you

5/8" sounds right. John at Autofab looked at pics of my truck I printed off and told me he remembered building that truck, he said the guy wanted to "drive it everyday and maybe occassionally take it off road" but from what I hear a lot of stuff was prototype (rear shock mount) and the prior owner paid him good money to do the R&D work on stuff. I think John's more than happy to reveal his secrets if he's the shop getting the work which is understandable. I've only called him twice on some stuff with questions.

...Were you able to find all your parts this weekend???

Thanks Guys !! Anybody else mushroom out and damage the axle shaft spacer on a regular basis? I guess that would be a sign of the spindle nuts being too loose.

what spindle nuts are you referring to? If it's the 5 nuts retaining the spindle to the knuckle I can see that a gap created the can cause this problem. But if it's the nut and lock nut that holds the rotor on I cant see that having to do with that type of wear. I had to surface grind off .025" off mine to fit due to changing the large seal on the outer axle shaft that seals the back side of the spindle.

I'm very interested in this three piece design here due to the thrust against the washer. It almost lends itself to a thrust bearing being needed here providing adequate clearance.

..The splined washer is a "variable part" but can be found in this kit at the Ford Dealer - P/N F57Z-3B458-A is the part number, it's 3 washers. Plain steel, plastic, and the splined steel washer ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back