2003 Explorer sport 2 door ( Rear Brakes) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer sport 2 door ( Rear Brakes)

03Explorer4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok so calling around to get parts needed to complete rear axle brake job onmy 03 2 dr sport explorer why do they ask so many question ?
aparently I need to know if my rear pistons are steel or plastic as far as i know they "should be steel" correct me if wrong here?, they also apparently list several different sizes for parking brake shoes and spring kit? doesnt sound right he should beable to look this up to what rotor hes setting me up with right?

so anyhow I purchased rear Rotors, pads, parking brake shoes and hardware kit figured id do it all while its all apart, ive owned the truck since new and i have done the front 4 times the backs have NEVER been touched they are still factory ford rotors and pads they just started making noise, truck has 143'564 K miles not bad eh? LOL. anyhow a buddy of mine was telling me i will probably end up cutting the old rotors off in order to get them off cause there is no inspection hole to back the parking brakes shoes off is there any easy way ot get these off? i dont care if i brake the parking brake shoes cause im replacing them anyhow.

thanks

Dave

You are in the wrong forum repost in second gen since you have a solid rear and were irs...

Ok so calling around to get parts needed to complete rear axle brake job onmy 03 2 dr sport explorer why do they ask so many question ?
aparently I need to know if my rear pistons are steel or plastic as far as i know they "should be steel" correct me if wrong here?, they also apparently list several different sizes for parking brake shoes and spring kit? doesnt sound right he should beable to look this up to what rotor hes setting me up with right?

so anyhow I purchased rear Rotors, pads, parking brake shoes and hardware kit figured id do it all while its all apart, ive owned the truck since new and i have done the front 4 times the backs have NEVER been touched they are still factory ford rotors and pads they just started making noise, truck has 143'564 K miles not bad eh? LOL. anyhow a buddy of mine was telling me i will probably end up cutting the old rotors off in order to get them off cause there is no inspection hole to back the parking brakes shoes off is there any easy way ot get these off? i dont care if i brake the parking brake shoes cause im replacing them anyhow.

thanks

Dave

aparently I need to know if my rear pistons are steel or plastic as far as i know they "should be steel" correct me if wrong here?, they also apparently list several different sizes for parking brake shoes and spring kit? doesnt sound right he should beable to look this up to what rotor hes setting me up with right?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm thinking this parts store clown doesn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground. He should be able to look up your brake rotor info for your specific vehicle on his store computer by year/model, make and engine size. I have never heard of a "plastic" brake caliper piston. Different wheel sizes on each vehicle (16inch or 17 inch rims)may come with different rotor and brake pad/shoe sizes, but what ever wheel size you have, he should be able to look up the correct rotors and pads and parking brake shoes for that year and wheel specs for that vehicle. The spring kits for the parking brake shoes would coincide with the parking brake shoe size.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. anyhow a buddy of mine was telling me i will probably end up cutting the old rotors off in order to get them off cause there is no inspection hole to back the parking brakes shoes off is there any easy way ot get these off? i dont care if i brake the parking brake shoes cause im replacing them anyhow.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You shouldn't have to cut the rotors off or only do that as a last resort. Depends how much "patience" you have. Take a 3 lb dead blower hammer and start tapping the front(don't hit wheel studs) and back side of the rotor, left and right side, and keep going back and forth. Use a pry bar to slip down between the back of the rotor and backing plate for added leverage. Just don't pry against backing plate, find something harder to pry against. . Don't swing for the fences with the hammer, but don't baby the blows either. Might take 15-30 minutes per side or so to break enough of the rusted lip off the back of the rotors to where you can slip them off. Just don't damage your wheel studs in the process. I got mine off last year doing it this way. You can also spray some PB Blaster in the area behind the rotors once you get enough wiggle room to get the PB Blaster straw behind there. Might help things slide apart easier. Once you get everything apart, just spray everything down good with Brake Parts cleaner. You can also drill/tap out the star wheel adjustment hole yourself prior to installing the new brake hardware. You should be able to see the tap-out hole plate once you get everything taken apart. Just have to get a rubber grommet to close up the hole you drilled when done adjusting the new parking brake shoes. Also, just a tip, put anti-seize on the threads to the star wheel adjustment bolt. This way it will always be easy to adjust the bolt if needed in the future. If you don't, the new star wheel bolt will just rust up like the old one did.

Got em off took me about 30 mins a side, the worst part was the reassembly of the parking brake shoes they sucked royally. LOL Dave

Back