Tailgate dome light switch, or: I feel dumb | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tailgate dome light switch, or: I feel dumb

I've looked all over the electrical diagrams and the tailgate itself. I cannot for the life of me figure out where the dome light switch for the tailgate is. The swich either needs to be replaced or repaired, as there is a healthy delay between when I open the gate and when the lights decide to come on.

I'm usually great at electrical and finding these hidden switches. It's making me feel really stupid here!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There might not be a switch. On second gens the cargo area dome light comes on with all the other interior dome lights. If the bulb takes forever it might just be the bulb that needs to be replaced. Or are you referring to some other bulb on the tailgate itself that comes on when it is opened?

When you open the gate, do all of the lights come on slow, or just the small light by the cargo area? If it is all, the switch might indeed be stuck. If it is just the rearmost cargo light, Onelever could be on track, that it may just be the bulb. I, unfortunately, have zero clue where the switch itself is. :(

All interior lights come on when the tailgate is opened, but it could be anywhere from several seconds to a minute. I've never taken the plastic panel off the inside of the tailgate, maybe I should look in there. I figured the switch was part of the latch but I can't tell just from looking at it.

Do the interior lights come on immediately when opening any of the other doors? That would point to the switch on the tailgate sticking.

on my 96 when i open the gate all the lights come on. when i used to go to the local hangout i would open the gate for a place to sit. i got tired of the lights always staying one so... i started proding around and figured out that the switch is in the latch itself. so when you open the gate the latches on the side show like an upside down U. its tough but if you squeeze those back closed where they make an O all of my lights then go off. i dont know if this helped at all just trying to give you a direction to start looking...

Yep, it turns out the switch is part of the driver's side tailgate latch. I took the tailgate apart and found the switch, removed it, cleaned it up and let some electrical cleaner spray soak into it. Reassembled and now the lights light up each time.

As kj4kym mentioned, now I also know a trick to get them to turn off if I want the tailgate open but want the lights off. Pinch the driver's side latch closed and the lights turn off.

Good deal, that will be useful to know in the future.

you just gotta make sure the twist the handle to open the latch back up before you try to close the door. :)

Back