• Register Today It's free!

95-01 explorer lift?'s

jwrench

Reaction score
City, State
rocky mtn hse,ab
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie bauer
from 95-01 these trucks are AWD and still are. when u guys install the suspension lifts on these trucks are u changing the transfer cases or leaving them in place cause these trucks are AWD , is there a kit or adapter available to make these transfer cases part time 4x4 or do u leave them alone, i sure like have the option of having 2 or 4wd in my 91 eddie bauer, i just purchsed a 97 XL 4dr with the add a leaf and torsion bar crank lift, does the suspension lift from the ranger 98-01 fit the explorers 95-01?, are they diresct bolt ups?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

body lift ?'s

will the body lift for 91-94 explorer fit a 97 explorer both 4dr. it's a 3"

from 95-01 these trucks are AWD and still are. when u guys install the suspension lifts on these trucks are u changing the transfer cases or leaving them in place cause these trucks are AWD , is there a kit or adapter available to make these transfer cases part time 4x4 or do u leave them alone, i sure like have the option of having 2 or 4wd in my 91 eddie bauer, i just purchsed a 97 XL 4dr with the add a leaf and torsion bar crank lift, does the suspension lift from the ranger 98-01 fit the explorers 95-01?, are they diresct bolt ups?

Almost nothing for a ranger fits explorers. The only thing you can get away with is maybe a body lift and thats pretty much it. You need to use the search feature, it will be your best friend....it will keep the lions off your back.

from 95-01 these trucks are AWD and still are. when u guys install the suspension lifts on these trucks are u changing the transfer cases or leaving them in place cause these trucks are AWD , is there a kit or adapter available to make these transfer cases part time 4x4 or do u leave them alone...

Search "Brown Wire Mod"

Almost nothing for a ranger fits explorers. The only thing you can get away with is maybe a body lift and thats pretty much it. You need to use the search feature, it will be your best friend....it will keep the lions off your back.

That's wrong.
Superlift and RCD for a 98-current ranger will work on 95-01 Explorer, with some small changes. I believe you will need to replace your front brakes with smaller brakes from 00 and earlier rangers.
If you're 2 wheel drive, you can use a spindle lift for 98-00 trailhead rangers, 01-05 Edge rangers, and 06+ sport rangers. Those might be a little off, but a spindle for a 98+ 2wd ranger with torsion bar suspension will fit a 2wd explorer.
As for the transfer case, it depends on what engine and transfer case you actually have. You didn't give us any good info.
If it's a v6, search "brown wire mod" like metalmechanic said.
If v8, it's always all wheel drive, unless you swap transfer cases with something else.

FYI, next time you post, include as much info about the truck as possible.

So, if I want to lift my 2000, we'll need to do this as well???

sorry bout that my explorer has the 4.0L pushrod and the 5spd auto(5R55E). can i take the transfer case out of a ranger with the same engine tranny combo or the sport trac. i really dont want AWD i would like the option of 2 or 4wd. i have all the resorces as for parts cause im a lisenced ford tech at our local dealership. let me know what im gonna need to do to make my 97 explorer 4x4 a part time 4x4,so the suspension lift out of a 98 or newer ranger 4x4 will work on my truck.

wil the body lift kit for a 91-94 explorer 4dr 4x4 V6 auto fit a 97 explorer 4dr 4x4 v6 auto

body lift interchangeabillity

will the 3" body lift kit for a 91-94 explorer 4dr 4x4 v6 auto work on the 97 explorer 4dr 4x4 v6 auto

WOW this thread is all over the map

For AWD V6 guys looking for 4x4 and 2wd, search "brown wire mod"

For body lift guys and what body lift kit fits what year explorer's, search "body lift"

The search button is your friend :)

I remember about 15 years ago I was told "you cant lift a Bronco II" LOL then I started searching the interweb

WOW this thread is all over the map

For AWD V6 guys looking for 4x4 and 2wd, search "brown wire mod"

For body lift guys and what body lift kit fits what year explorer's, search "body lift"

The search button is your friend :)

I remember about 15 years ago I was told "you cant lift a Bronco II" LOL then I started searching the interweb

Took the post right out of my keyboard. LOL

Would one of you that knows what they are talking about, be willing to help me out? Ive been reading the BWM thread, and I keep getting confused. I see a post in there saying that if you have AUTO 4wheel drive,, its different from ALL wheel drive, and Im pretty sure mine is auto..it says auto, 4 hi 4 low...Im still reading, but Im really new to all of this kinda stuff. My other vehicles that were 4x4's had a stick in the floor..this is the newest vehicle Ive ever owned..

Id be happy to pm or whatever if someone is willing to explain this stuff to me..Dont forget Im a girl just learning! :D

Thanks.

Would one of you that knows what they are talking about, be willing to help me out? Ive been reading the BWM thread, and I keep getting confused. I see a post in there saying that if you have AUTO 4wheel drive,, its different from ALL wheel drive, and Im pretty sure mine is auto..it says auto, 4 hi 4 low...Im still reading, but Im really new to all of this kinda stuff. My other vehicles that were 4x4's had a stick in the floor..this is the newest vehicle Ive ever owned..

Id be happy to pm or whatever if someone is willing to explain this stuff to me..Dont forget Im a girl just learning! :D

Thanks.

If you have a selector knob, it's possible to do the brown wire mod. if you have no selectable 4x4 in the dash, it's either AWD or 2wd.

Ok, yes I have a selector knob. And I have to do that, if I want to put a suspension lift? That whole BWM thread had me scratching my head LOL Though I have learned a few things, some of it is WAY over my head.

And to think if it weren't for Al Gore, your B2 would still be stock height. :D

And my last question on this for now, is WHY would the BWM need to be done? What would happen, if you did the suspension lift and didnt do the BWM? Im sure there is a good reason, Im just not sure what it would be!

BWM allows the 4x4 auto not to engage meaning that when the back wheels slip the front won't engage the front two wheels, doing the lift i don't think would make a difference other than gas mileage i think
but you should try to use the search more that way you can gain the most information, there are plenty of threads and questions like this
Diego

I actually search quite often, doesnt mean I completely understand all the tech talk that I find.

And my last question on this for now, is WHY would the BWM need to be done? What would happen, if you did the suspension lift and didnt do the BWM? Im sure there is a good reason, Im just not sure what it would be!

If all you're doing is a lift, you don't need the BWM. I didn't have it for a few months after mine was lifted and it was fine. I HAD to do mine because i installed Aussie lockers and if my 4wd engaged on pavement, i'd probably lose control and crash.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jwrench said:
That whole BWM thread had me scratching my head LOL Though I have learned a few things, some of it is WAY over my head.

jwrench said:
i have all the resorces as for parts cause im a lisenced ford tech at our local dealership.

And THAT, my furry and feathered friends, is exactly why I avoid the dealership service departments at all costs. Not trying to dig at you personally, jwrench, just making an observation...

As was already mentioned, not all the second-gen 4x4s are all wheel drive. As a tech, you should become aware of the differences between all wheel drive and automatic 4 wheel drive. They are not at all the same systems. Some Ford trucks use AWD, some use automatic 4wd, and some of the current cars (500 and Freestyle) use a hybridized automatic 4wd system... Spend a few lunch-hours skimming the transmission and transfer case sections of the Ford service manuals and you'll be amazed at the plethora of information at your fingertips.

Now, as has already been mentioned, the lift will not necessitate replacement of the t-case. You *can* and many people *do*, but it's not necessary. Lifting the front end can easily be done with Ranger lift components, as mentioned, but the rear is a bit more tricky. With the spring-under axle setup of the Explorer, you'll need to either swap in a Ranger's spring-over axle somehow, or perform an axle flip on your current one to relocate the spring perches and springs to the top of the axle. The flip in and of itself may be enough to get the lift you want on the rear. However, couple that with larger tires, and you could end up with some massive axle-wrap issues with the soft Explorer springs. I'm sure there are some guys here that have solved that problem though...

-Joe

Back