Push Button Start | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Push Button Start

Keyless entry/start is the best thing since sliced bread. Man/woman, who wants to fumble with keys in your pocket/purse if you don't need to? Especially if it's cold and you have a long coat on, or if you are carrying things. I'm willing to bet every corolla will have this as standard before long.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wasn't sure if I liked the push button start when I initially got my Highlander but I have now gotten used to it. I still have to remind myself at times to leave the key fob in the car when I take it in for service. One thing I did discover is that it is impossible to lock your keys (key fob) in the vehicle. I have tried and can't do it. Even if you use the manual lock button and close the door, after a second or so, there is a long beep, the lights flash and the door unlocks. Not sure if the Ex will do the same. I'll have to give it a test when I get it.

Ex is the same. You cant do it.

Tried leaving fob in vehicle at dealer, couldn't do it, does exactly what you already explained.

One thing I did discover is that it is impossible to lock your keys (key fob) in the vehicle.

That would be disappointing. I lock my keys in the car all the time. Sometimes I don't want to carry them. Love the keypad on the door :)

That is definitely something that I am curious about. When we go to the waterpark in the summer I like to hide my keys in the vehicle and use the keypad for re-entry when we're done. I'm guessing this is not something I'm going to be able to do with my limited? If not, I guess we'll just take the Fusion to the waterpark.

You can still do it. You put your keys in the car. Shut the door. Use the keypad to lock the door.

That is definitely something that I am curious about. When we go to the waterpark in the summer I like to hide my keys in the vehicle and use the keypad for re-entry when we're done. I'm guessing this is not something I'm going to be able to do with my limited? If not, I guess we'll just take the Fusion to the waterpark.
dave1946 is correct:

“In order to override the smart unlock feature and intentionally lock the IA key inside the vehicle, you can lock your vehicle after all doors are closed by using the keyless entry keypad, pressing the control on another IA key or touching the locking area on the handle with another IA key in your hand.”

That can be found under “Smart unlocks for intelligent access keys (IA key)” on page 138 of the 2011 Explorer Owner’s Guide 3rd Edition. In case you don’t have a digital copy, the Owner’s Guide can also be downloaded/printed for free at www.FordOwner.com > Vehicle Basics > Owner’s Manual and Videos > and selecting 2011 Explorer from the drop down menus!

Cory

Nope, can't lock the keys in it.

Nope, can't lock the keys in it.

Maybe you wrote this while Seni was writing her response, but she and the other poster are right. Just close the door and push the bottom two keypad buttons at the same time and it will lock.

This is the same way you locked the keys in the older versions of the explorer when the ignition was on and before we had a fancy black button on the door handle :)

I have to say this is the first time I had IA keys and love it for the most part... I do have two questions-

1) Page 157 of the manual states "When fully armed (after the 20 second pre-arm mode), any IA keys (if equipped) found inside the vehicle are disabled/inoperable and will not start the engine. Press the UNLOCK button to re-enable them" I tried this. Left the key FOB in the truck, locked it with the keypad and came out 10 min later. Foot on brake and the car started. This was disappointing because I can see times I would want to lock the key (hidden of course) in the car. Am I missing a config setup?

2) Is there a config setup where the car will automatically lock when the FOB is out of range?

Just close the door and push the bottom two keypad buttons at the same time and it will lock.

This is the same way you locked the keys in the older versions of the explorer when the ignition was on and before we had a fancy black button on the door handle :)

+1
Works like a charm. Press keypad buttons 7 & 9 simultaneously. Will lock and keep your vehicle locked with the key fob inside the vehicle.

Keyforb locked in trunk.

I wasn't sure if I liked the push button start when I initially got my Highlander but I have now gotten used to it. I still have to remind myself at times to leave the key fob in the car when I take it in for service. One thing I did discover is that it is impossible to lock your keys (key fob) in the vehicle. I have tried and can't do it. Even if you use the manual lock button and close the door, after a second or so, there is a long beep, the lights flash and the door unlocks. Not sure if the Ex will do the same. I'll have to give it a test when I get it.

This isn't true. Wife just locked her keys in the car. She walked up to car with keyfob in purse. Opened the tailgate and put her purse in. Closed the tailgate and walked to front door to open it. Door is locked and keyfob is also locked in the trunk (tail gait automatically locked itself?)

This isn't true. Wife just locked her keys in the car. She walked up to car with keyfob in purse. Opened the truck and put her purse in. Closed the trunk and walk to front door to open it. Door is locked and keyfob is also locked in the trunk (tail gait automatically locked itself?)

Maybe Ford didn't implement this right, or they just figure that since you have the keypad on the side of the door, you can always re-open the car that way.

Maybe Ford didn't implement this right, or they just figure that since you have the keypad on the side of the door, you can always re-open the car that way.

Problem is that we just got the car last week and haven't learned the code yet. Wife is not to happy right now! It's stupid that the car would allow you to lock your keys in the trunk that way.

This isn't true. Wife just locked her keys in the car. She walked up to car with keyfob in purse. Opened the truck and put her purse in. Closed the trunk and walk to front door to open it. Door is locked and keyfob is also locked in the trunk (tail gait automatically locked itself?)

If your wife locked the keys in the back of the vehicle,trunk,the key was out of range of MFT.If it is in the front seat area,with in starting range, it should not lock.This is covered in your operators manual.

If your wife locked the keys in the back of the vehicle,trunk,the key was out of range of MFT.If it is in the front seat area,with in starting range, it should not lock.This is covered in your operators manual.

I stand corrected.It should have detected the key inside of the vehicle,even in back.Possible cause of not detecting could have been the purse keeping it out of range.

I stand corrected.It should have detected the key inside of the vehicle,even in back.Possible cause of not detecting could have been the purse keeping it out of range.

I'll have to experiment with it when I get home. But I would think this could be a pretty common scenario that could cause people to get locked out. I don't know if she was delayed at all in trying to open the front door, so might have something to do with an auto re-lock? But wouldn't think that should happen if the tail gate had been opened. I'll also definitely be setting up a custom code on the external keypad tonight as well.

They also say that if your key is next to an electronic device it can also cause a signal problem. Just FYI.

Very interesting... I just went out and tested this. Walked out, opened the pwr. liftgate, threw the key in and closed it. Sure enough, the doors wouldn't unlock and the pwr. liftgate wouldn't open again either. I thought for sure with the remote laying next to the liftgate it would reopen, but nope. This is a good thing to know.

I played with this today. If the car is NOT locked, you open the tail gate door. With the tailgate open, you lock the doors with the key fob. Put the fob in the rear of the car and close the tailgate. When it tries to close, the horn honks and the doors unlock.

This is a variation on the other descriptions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I played with this today. If the car is NOT locked, you open the tail gate door. With the tailgate open, you lock the doors with the key fob. Put the fob in the rear of the car and close the tailgate. When it tries to close, the horn honks and the doors unlock.

This is a variation on the other descriptions.

This means that the car can detect the fob in the tail gate, so you would think that it wouldn't let you accidentally lock the fob in the tailgate like what happened to us. We've setup a personal code on the keypad now, so at least won't get locked out again. :)

Back