• Register Today It's free!

Seat Swap

dkalleck

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
So, my driver recliner bolt (Ford recalled) broke because i never took it in for the recall. Because it broke several other things broke on the truck which Ford will not replace for free. *sad face*

So, since i work at a lube shop, i took a tape measure to work with me to check the measurements on some vehicles that came in. I found out the seats in 98 and newer Rangers with the 60/40 design have the same bolt spacing.

After a few lame years of searching i finally found a guy who had a totaled Ranger and got the pair of seats for $100 ^_^

Pictures to come tomorrow.

So far, the only things that are lame are the carpet holes from where my broken center console used to be. And, the seat belt buckles from the explorer seats bolt onto the car whereas the Ranger's are attached to the seat only. So, another carpet hole. I'm still very excited for the bench design.

Now, i just need to fix the lid on the arm rest/console.
and vacuum all the junk i found on the floor when i took the old seats out :-\

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seats in action from drivers side
2011-02-26151210.jpg

thats cool. i might have to do that to mine. but i have the rear air and cd changer. cause my driver seat is ripped. and half the electric stuff doesn't work

I am looking at replacing my 1996 Explorer seats.... how do the Ranger seats compare? Are the more supportive and comfortable or basically the same?

Are there other seats that you can recommend?

I am looking at replacing my 1996 Explorer seats.... how do the Ranger seats compare? Are the more supportive and comfortable or basically the same?

The seats ride taller by maybe a half inch. It gives it more of a truck feel to me. Also, i had been riding with a broken, partially reclined seat for almost 3 years so i can't remember what the old seat vertical felt like. I like a little more upright posture than most. they feel great to me. I wish the ones i bought would have had a better console. That one is broken.

I would steer toward the 1998 and newer Ranger seats. Mine were out of a 1999 Extended cab. If you have concerns about whether they will fit measure up the bolt spacing.

I put 03 sport seats in my explorer. Much more supportive and comfortable. The seat belt buckle receivers are different, had to take the ones off the old seats and put them on the "new" seats.

I put 03 sport seats in my explorer. Much more supportive and comfortable. The seat belt buckle receivers are different, had to take the ones off the old seats and put them on the "new" seats.

Same here. Just different receivers. And holes in the carpet now :p

i need to get a brand new passenger seat for my 01 sport

is there any way to do something with the back seat

do u think if u removed the back seats who could but two front seats in the back like id u drilled holes are welded it would there be enough room and also is there a write up on how to remove the carpet

do u think if u removed the back seats who could but two front seats in the back like id u drilled holes are welded it would there be enough room and also is there a write up on how to remove the carpet

I don't think they would bolt up the same. Grab a tape measure and see what the spacing is on the bolts.
Of course you could always weld it, measure everything: seat height with tracks, width shouldn't be a problem. Leave enough room for reclining?
The carpeting is only held in by the trim and seats. Remove it all and the carpet will peal out. Or you could just cut it out.

is there a fourm on how to remove and install new carpt

removing the carpet it pretty straight forward all you do is remove the seats, center console and some trim pieces and then you start pulling up the carpet. try using the search also

Back