98 Explorer , installed 2002 sport trac seat but? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer , installed 2002 sport trac seat but?

SparkyGT

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT-4.0 SOHC
Hi all, been a while since i posted and hope this is the right section.

98 explorer, my front left seat rod lift bracket broke again, and this was welded up a couple times so it has had enough with major rebuilding, I picked up a set of seats from a 2002 rollover, low kms, so the seat fits, i may have to mess with one motor, works and moves but not when im sitting in it, a shaft may be bent slightly.

Anyways, DRIVER seat was a direct bolt in, swapped over the seat belt assembly to newer seat to retain the explorer plug ins.

The problem arises with wiring up the motors, will have to change a connector over or cut n splice.

SEAT HEAT - in the 2002 seats from sport trac, i supplied power and it works, but will have to work with a key on power source, and not sure if they should time out or stay on constantly?

The other thing is there are 2 extra smaller wires, im not sure what they are for, if its for a seat present switch or something else, any ideas?

any help to the above 2 wires and seat heat would be appreciated.

Now the PASSENGER seat. havent swapped yet, but the passenger seat has power motors and seat heat, where the explorer had none, so this will be the hard part, either wire in under carpet to dash or use the accessory lighter in the side console to power the seat, i had thought of piggybacking off the drivers, and only adjusting one seat at a time. SEAT HEAT will be same issue as drivers, key on power and having to run a dedicated power wire to it.

so lots of fun so far.

Hi all, been a while since i posted and hope this is the right section.

98 explorer, my front left seat rod lift bracket broke again, and this was welded up a couple times so it has had enough with major rebuilding, I picked up a set of seats from a 2002 rollover, low kms, so the seat fits, i may have to mess with one motor, works and moves but not when im sitting in it, a shaft may be bent slightly.

Anyways, DRIVER seat was a direct bolt in, swapped over the seat belt assembly to newer seat to retain the explorer plug ins.

The problem arises with wiring up the motors, will have to change a connector over or cut n splice.

SEAT HEAT - in the 2002 seats from sport trac, i supplied power and it works, but will have to work with a key on power source, and not sure if they should time out or stay on constantly?

The other thing is there are 2 extra smaller wires, im not sure what they are for, if its for a seat present switch or something else, any ideas?

any help to the above 2 wires and seat heat would be appreciated.

Now the PASSENGER seat. havent swapped yet, but the passenger seat has power motors and seat heat, where the explorer had none, so this will be the hard part, either wire in under carpet to dash or use the accessory lighter in the side console to power the seat, i had thought of piggybacking off the drivers, and only adjusting one seat at a time. SEAT HEAT will be same issue as drivers, key on power and having to run a dedicated power wire to it.

so lots of fun so far.

Pics?...

Back