P0172 and P2197 codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0172 and P2197 codes

aj213121

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport Trac '03 XLT
Hello everyone, my 2003 trac seems to be stalling out occasionally whenever im at a stop. If it doesnt stall out you can see the rpms dip low and my lights start to dim. I tried changing the IAC and egr valve but no luck. There are no check engine lights and this problem has been going on for months now. Any suggestions?

Edit: Didnt want to start a new post, but in continuation of the problem I finally got a check engine light today. Codes were: P0172 (System too rich (bank 1)) P2197 (02 Sensor signal stuck lean (bank 2 sensor 1)) Im guessing an o2 sensor went bad, but there is a problem on both banks which is what im confused about right now. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly your fuel pump, it's working but weak.

Update: still having the problem...checkee my fuel trims and the long term on both banks is at 8%...is that normal?

Mine had the same problems, I followed what swshawii said and WALA my idling was fixed. The little rubber PVC elbow on the front passsenger side of the engine gets dry rortted and cracks, usually on the bottom where you can’t see it. I went to O’Reillys and they had one in stock for about $3 it fixed my issue. Good Luck with yours

If you PCV hoses/elbow is okay, it could also be a bad IAC valve. It controls idle.

Back