2002 Explorer Sport rear compatibility? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Sport rear compatibility?

Davidson

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer sport
Hi, I've been reading the threads on this forum for a while and finally decided to join.

I had the 8.8 in my 2002 4x4 ford explorer sport blow two hours ago. I checked the door tag and it's worn off, can't read it. Got under it and checked the differential id tag and that's rusted up. Also can't read it.

So.. . Any info on the compatible rears I could pull from the salvage yard for it would be very helpful!

Thanks, Davidson

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the differential still turn? If so, spin the input shaft by hand and count the number or revolutions of the output shaft. I would guess you have 3.55's but it may be 3.73's. Visual inspection of the carrier would determine if you have an open differential or limited slip.

If it doesn't turn, spin the front driveshaft by hand and determine the ratio of the front diff. The ratio of the front diff will be the same as the rear.

Any 2nd gen Explorer rear end would work, and I think any Ranger would also as long as the ratio is correct. The smaller Rangers had a 7.5" differential which should be avoided for obvious reasons.

No, unfortunately it doesn't spin. I'm sure the teeth are in the bottom of the housing. But I can spin the front and figure it out. Thanks for the the info! I'll go look for a 2nd Gen at the salvage after I figure out the gear.

Take your VIN and go to Ford's ETIS site. Look under details for how your truck was built.

FordEtis home page

Alternately, if you remove the rear diff cover I believe the ratio number is stamped into the end of the pinion gear.

I'd guess a 4x4 Sort Trac would have been built with 4:10 gears, but it might have been 3:73's. Spinning the drive shaft and trying to count revolutions can be difficult to judge. Best to know for sure.

Any Explorer/Mountaineer 8.8 rear diff (of the same ratio as your front diff) can be used, but you'll have to transfer over the drum brake parts, or convert to disc brakes. I installed a rear end from a '99 Explorer in my 2001 Sport Trac. The diffs are the same and the drum brake parts bolt in place of the disc parts.

Take your VIN and go to Ford's ETIS site. Look under details for how your truck was built.

FordEtis home page

Alternately, if you remove the rear diff cover I believe the ratio number is stamped into the end of the pinion gear.

I'd guess a 4x4 Sort Trac would have been built with 4:10 gears, but it might have been 3:73's. Spinning the drive shaft and trying to count revolutions can be difficult to judge. Best to know for sure.

Any Explorer/Mountaineer 8.8 rear diff (of the same ratio as your front diff) can be used, but you'll have to transfer over the drum brake parts, or convert to disc brakes. I installed a rear end from a '99 Explorer in my 2001 Sport Trac. The diffs are the same and the drum brake parts bolt in place of the disc parts.

Okay thanks! I forgot about it being stamped into the pinion gear. Between work and having to run double duty cause my wife's Mariner blew the cd4e transmission last week. I haven't had a chance to open it and see the carnage yet. I'll open it up tomorrow after work. Thank you

Back