91 Explorer Need help with 2 problems.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer Need help with 2 problems....

XLRRP

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Rosa, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Sport
Hi,

I just went on a Christmas tree run with my 91 Explorer Sport and noticed two problems and was hoping some of you could give me tips on what to check first. I have some ideas but would like to hear from some other Explorer owners.

My rig is totally stock with a 6 cylinder engine and an automatic tranny. It also has the rear anti-lock brakes. It has 115,000 miles. (front disc, rear drum).

1) While driving off road on icy snow, my left rear wheel will not lock up. My front wheels lock up easily when applying the brakes and most of the time my r/r tire would lock, but I couldn't get my l/r to lock. I even tried to get it to lock up with the E-brake and couldn't.

NOTE(when I first got this rig I discovered that the l/r wheel had the brakes adjusted so tight, the wheel would hardly turn by hand so I backed off the adjuster a few clicks). (Also, the rear brake pads looked okay)....

2) While driving in 4 wheel drive, I hear a loud clunking sound coming from the left front. It only seems to make the sound while I'm applying the throttle. When coasting down hills I didn't hear it. It was pretty loud and I ended up only turning on the 4wd when I had to in order to stop the noise. Doesn't make it in 2wd at all.

Thank you for any help....

Chris
Santa Rosa, California

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

snow in santa rosa?

Not in Santa Rosa.... LOL.... Covelo (Mendocino National Forest).

hi the noise you hear in the front could be your auto locking hub starting to let go. to be sure you may want to take off your front left tire and slip the hub off. if you turn the hub upside down and then up right you will hear the clunking sound if it is no good.

Clunking in the front could also be a u-joint. To find out, put on the e-brake and leave it in neutral. Get underneath and rotate the driveshaft back and forth by hand (just a small amount of rotation is enough). If your u-joint(s) is bad, you'll hear the clunking, and will probably be able to visually ID which joint or joints are bad.

Back