• Register Today It's free!

turn signal sorta....

4x4Hunter

Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
alright, normally when your turn signal doesnt work its the result of the bulb being out. In this case I've got a left signal that works sometimes and othertimes it doesnt. Basically when i go and start the truck in the morning and start driving it, the left signal will stay lit and not blink.... after the cab heats up the blinker will start working again. I have NO idea what is going on other than a possible corrosion(sp?) buildup on the contacts that meet at the base of the wand. But if this were the case, why would the warmth of the air in the cab affect if it works or not?

Any takers, I could use a quick and effective fix!!

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried replacing the blinker relay? Your's may be going bad and just screwing around with you until it dies. I have replaced quite a few in the vehicles at work and they all seem to do the same thing that your Ex is doing.

relay?

So when the blinker relay is going bad it will work fine sometimes and othertimes not?

Yes, the relay uses a thin piece of metal that moves up or down depending on whether the coil is energized. When it is cold, it is stiffer and harder to move. If your relay is old, it will behave just like you are experiencing. I have an amplifier that I installed for my sub-woofer behind my passenger interior panel. in the morning when my Explorer is cold (60F) my subwoofer doesn't work. I can hear the relay in my amplifier "clicking" as it tries to turn on every couple of seconds or so. Once it warms up it clicks on and then my sub-woofer works.

yea but.

Wouldnt that affect both turn signals? I'm just getting the left one not working

No.... just one side can be affected. Small differences in current flow caused by manufacturing variations in bulbs/sockets/connectors or even one connection with a wee bit of corrosion could be enough to cause the symptoms.

If you still have the OEM style blinker (flasher) it is a mechanical one (like described above).

If you switch to an electirc one, you don't get the issues of cold affecting the flasher and you can hook up more lights (like a trailer) and it doesn't change speed.

The problem you get is that it does flash faster than the OEM (not bad, just faster) and you won't know you have a light out by the lights flashing faster when a light is missing.

~Mark

:D Robert, you consider 60F cold? Hell in Kansas City thats short wearing weather. It just cracks us up when the NHRA Winter Nationals are run at Pamona and it is 60F plus and they are wearing a parka.:cool:

I have the same problem...but it's the right blinker. For a few months now the switch makes more clinks than usual, and now when it's cold out the right works when it wants too. How would i go about replacing the relay? is it something i can do myself? thanks

Blinker Relay

If I remember Correctly....

The blinker relay is in the fuse panel under the dash. Go to the store and buy the part... takes about 2 seconds to pull out the old one and pop the new one in. Problem fixed.

Good Luck & Happy Holidays!

Thanks for the info, unfortunately i dont think that's the entire problem. the actual blinker arm is bad i think...it clicks too many times, if that makes sense.

Yea. I had to replace that too. Try and find a used part dealer or someone on the board that is parting out. The new ones are fairly pricey

Back