Aftermarket air filters suck???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket air filters suck????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting indeed!

I'd like to see if anyone who has a dyno available to them can show an increase in HP with an aftermarket filter to combat this study...

I myself have a k&n drop-in (soon to be KKM intake) and noticed no difference in "seat of your pants" performance.

I don't really like some of those results. However, I do agree that there is probably no hp increase. In a study a few years ago, a K&N on a stock Mustang net 3hp gain. I for one am a believer in the "no noticable gain" theory, BUT I can tell you that in all 3 cars in which I put a K&N in I increased my mpg by 1mpg! The air filter has the same claimed gain as pullys. I used to love those mustang guys with "pullys". My 10 sec mustang had all stock pullys and the air worked. Just my .02.

thank you all and have a great holiday.

Probably a load of crap.

Didn't read it, just the first few sentences. But I've heard the the stock paper filters flow alot more air. Its just the housing the that is extremely restrictive.

anyone notice this is a diesel engine? Given i dont really know anything except the basics about engines, wasnt sure if there could be a difference, just mentioning it.

Sounds to me that just drilling the stock air box & a good paper filter is the way to go. Anyone want to buy my K & N ?

MonsterEnergy said:
anyone notice this is a diesel engine? Given i dont really know anything except the basics about engines, wasnt sure if there could be a difference, just mentioning it.

Could the forced induction sway the results?

IAmTodd said:
Could the forced induction sway the results?

I'm with it on that. On my Whipple supercharged 3.0 Ranger I can get 1-2 lbs of boost by using the K&N flat panel filter in my completely stock air box. Now next time I goto the dyno I'll be sure and make a run using my old paper air filter, if I can find it, and see what kinda numbers there are.

Later Doug.

I thought the charts were basically saying that K&N restricted far less than all the other brands, but caught less particles, and let more though. Am I just mis-reading the charts?

Flawed/inadequate test

I see a couple of flaws/inadequacies in the test.

1. Assuming that the filters were all for the same engine, there will still be a difference in the quantity of the filter media,them open and measure. This will have a direct affect on the accumlative capacity of the filter.

2. Re usable (oiled) filters clearly state on the box that thier filerting ability increases as particulates combine on the filter surface.

3. What are the bypass/accumulative gain, rates at 5 min, 10min, 15min ect. I suspect the oiled re-usable filters would initially have high bypass rates until particulates have coated the surface. This test only shows total gain for the duration of the test.

My $.02

Hi,
My experience is with a stainless steal mesh filter, no paper or fabric element at all. When it got a little dirty,I simply washed it. NO oil to mess with either. I love it. I think it says CP on its top. Overall HP improvement was noticable over stock, I also removed the airbox. It was even better with an improved exaust and a "cheap *******" ebay adjustable chip, which I know is really just a resistor on the air charge temp sensor, but it DEFINITLY worked.
Keith

Keith

lowflyingbird said:
Hi,
My experience is with a stainless steal mesh filter, no paper or fabric element at all. When it got a little dirty,I simply washed it. NO oil to mess with either. I love it. I think it says CP on its top. Overall HP improvement was noticable over stock, I also removed the airbox. It was even better with an improved exaust and a "cheap *******" ebay adjustable chip, which I know is really just a resistor on the air charge temp sensor, but it DEFINITLY worked.
Keith

Keith
Not to be rude but it's hard to take anybody seriously when they talk about having purchased and are using the resistor mod.

OK, I deserved that, but none the less, I have to admit, On my previous vehicle, a 97 Aerostar 4.0 OHV. There was a strange off idle problem when the vehicle was hot as well as the weather. AND this resistor TRICK of fooling the computer to advance the timing and enrichen the fuel WORKED. and NO after almost 2 years of using it happily NO BAD convertor killing side effects.
Keith

Back