Need Boston area drivetrain / clutch mechanic, maybe suspension too | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Boston area drivetrain / clutch mechanic, maybe suspension too

karl_burns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Winston Salem, NC - Go Deacs!
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport OHV 5speed
My truck does run right noiw, but It's really sounding funny and making lots of creaky noises. Enough to where now my girl is asking about them. And that's with the stereo turned up!
So, if anyone in the Boston area can drop me a line (832)483-6066 or at home (781)396-7506, I could use the name of a guy to look at my clutch (making grinding noises and it's only 10 months old) and suspension / driveshaft (been driving with an SOA for exactly one year, and everything is starting to rumble when I drive.
Any Boston area people that could meet me in Medford, well, that would be the best! Got plenty of beer!
Thanks in advance for coming to the rescue guys..... Sorry I've been away from the boards for the past few months.
Karl Burns

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be back in Somerville come September, and would be glad to help out.

As for a good mechanic, the guys over at "Anthony's Shell" 445 Harvard St, Brookline MA are really good at general stuff and for inspections.

For driveline issues, call Jesse, the owner of High Angle Driveline. www.highangledriveline.com

Other than that, I'm at a loss for recomendations since I do all my own work.

-Aaron

Aaron,
Somehow I knew you'd chime in. We should definitely meet up sometime since we've lived a few miles from each other for the last couple of years!
It's some weird snap/creaking/squeaking. I had the clutch replaced in November at Medford Transmission. And now, whenever I engage the clutch, the tacometer only falls to 2,000 RPMS or so.... lot all the way down like it used to (on the old clutch), so I really don't want to return there....
And some REALLY strange noises. I'll call the Brookline place and the driveline place tomorrow. Will anyone know your name?

Thanks again!
Karl

Hey Karl are you going to try and tackle this your self?

are you south of Boston or north of Boston..

You now what, I'd like to, but I'm not sure I have the time. Lots of weird noises, and it even sounds like something is snapping off. I could feel a snap pulse in my gas pedal as I left the office. Really weird.
You're south of here, right? I live in Medford. Right off 93, exit 30 I think. First one after Charlestown, which is the exit after downtown.
Karl

stupid suggestion I am sure you have seen as it happened to me some people have problems with the bracket where the peda cnnects to the firewall..
it comes loose and mine felt just like you were describing..

somethng you might want to check..
wouldnt that be sweet if it was jsut something simple like that..

David,
Any way you could explain that a bit more?
Karl

It's not the gas pedal (just checked anyway). I can feel it when I engage the clutch and start accelerating. And I can feel some sort of snap every once in a while (SCARY!).
I just don't want to take it the place that replaced my clutch. Very untrustworthy....
Any other ideas?
Karl

SOrry Karl I wish I had an answer for you other than that..

Allright guys,
My friends won't get into my Explorer, and I feel unsafe driving it. here are the symptoms, as i don't even know where to begin diagnosing:
1) When I step on the clutch pedal to engage the clutch, it feels like a pneumatic hammer hits the back of my truck.
2) When I get to highway speeds, there's a TON of vibration of my entire truck. Now, it starts vibrating when I get to 2K miles.
3) It feels like something is holding my truck back, as if something is drastically holding back the torque or transmission of engine power to the wheels.
4) When I'm slowing down, I can hear clacking like the old baseball card in the tire spokes. But I can feel it a little in the pedals too.
I definitely need help. Can I take a truck to the dealer if it has a lift kit on it? Anyone know if they will work on it? I'd rather take it somewhere else, but I don't trust anyone around here....... If anyone can help, I'm in desparate need.
Please help!
Thanks!
Karl

1)Seems to be clutch related. Does it make the noise/vibration when you rev the engine in neutral, or is it only while rolling?

2) Maybe your e-brake self destructed and is causing some of the issues?

I don't have experiance with them, but I hear that Brookline Machine in Brigton does good drivetrain work.
http://www.brooklinemachine.com/
(617) 782-4018

The guys over at "Anothy's Shell/ S & Y Enterprises" could do you your clutch for you, the owner is named Shimon, his lead mechanic is Kamal. They do good work, and are honest.

445 Harvard Street, Brookline, MA 02446
(617) 566-9538

There is also "Domenic's Auto and Jeep Repair," but he's located north in Hampsted, NH.
http://domenicsautoandjeep.com/

A lifted truck shouldn't be a problem at either place.

Time for an automatic karl

It felt like my truck was shaking due to a bad driveshaft or maybe even a broken clutch finger, so last night I searched for a while with the words "vibration" and "driveshaft" and other combinations. I was reminded of that LONG discussion(s) we had on the site about two years ago regarding the 60mph shakes! I'd forgotten about that!
Anyway, I'd determined a) it was most likely a D/S, clutch, U-joint, pinion angle issue, and figured a rebalanced (or anything for that matter) could be done by the dealership, so I drove to Sentry Ford in Medford and arrived at 7:15am. Not a single car in line. I walk into the Customer Service and am informed my truck won't even be looked at until Thursday at the earliest. And that's a maybe. WTF? Does everyone HAVE to plan when their vehicle will break to get serivce from this stealership? Three times I've taken my truck in, and three times this is how I've been treated. I've never used the name of the dealership before, but now I'm ticked. DON'T GO TO SENTRY FORD IN MEDFORD, MASSACHUSETTS! :fire:
So I drive (still scared to drive this thing as it shakes at all speeds) about 1 mile to the place that replaced my clutch. I figured, it feels like a clutch/drivetrain issue (non-engine) so maybe they could help. Worst case, it's a mom and pop shop (actually pop and sons) so they could probably squeeze me in and at lesat diagnose. I pull up (again no line of vehicles) and explain to the guy the issue with my Explorer. He takes it for a spin (slowly). When he comes back, he speculates it could be a broken finger on the clutch. I exlpain I have a Centerforce Clutch, installed by this shop, and he nods, and says that's what he has in his Porsche (and he points a few spaces over...). :D

Well, I leave my truck with them, nervous that I will get a phone call at the office in two hours needing a grand to replace the DS and multiple other things.

About 2:30pm, the phone rings and it's the repair place. $119.80, and the part that was causing all the problems is pictured here:
3661U_Joint_002a.jpg

:eek: Yep, that's what was left of my U-Joint. Could have replaced it myself, but I'd rather have it done by a pro right now, seeing as I've got too much other crap going on and won't have a day to look at anything for another couple weeks.
Big "Thanks" to Aaron and David for offers to help and friendly advice / referrals. I will remember the Brookline place next time.
Karl

Yikes! I'm surprised that u-joint even held the shaft in place while spinning. Glad to hear that was the problem, but for $120??!?!? It's a $10 part at Autozone. If I was in town, I'd have installed it for a six pack.

Aaron,
Never leave Boston again.....
Karl

holy crap!!! i have been sitting on three new u-joints for about two months now, just too lazy to put them on, but i think i'll get to it now. i am glad that it didn't completely granade on you and drop the ds on the road. you are lucky it didn't. glad you got it figured out.

the tacometer only falls to 2,000 RPMS or so....

what the hell is a tacometer, something that tells you when you have had enough mexican food or what?!?!

btw, i still think you ought to throw that sport in the gutter and pick up a sweet 2000 4x4 xlt from the houston area!, maybe a little something like this one:

WOW! I've been ignoring my U-joints for about 5 months and 9,000 miles. I'm going to go change them out right now! I only bought them 4 months ago, LOL.

Thanks for the picture! It sure gave me the shot of adrenalin I needed to go fix mine!

Back