starting problems

firstx

Reaction score
City, State
crocker Mo.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport 4x4
2000 Ranger XLT 2.5.... 68,000 miles

When I went to start my truck the other morning,it wouldn't turn over. I had to put the gas peddle to the floor to get it started. Then when I got off work it did it again. Today when I went to start it, it started, but not the way it should of started. With like a delay. If that makes any sense. It has a new battery. I was thinking maybe the IAC is going bad. What do you think it could be.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a possible fuel flow problem, Are you hearing the fuel pump run when you turn the key to start?

I just went outside to the truck and turned the key and heard a humming sound. Then I started it and started right up with no delay. Don't know what to think. I guess time will tell. Thanks for your reply

Bob

Next time it won't start, get underneath the truck and smack the fuel tank on the bottom with a rubber mallet, and see if the pump starts working, if so, time to invest in a new pump...soon

Last week my temp guage started acting up . Fix it with a new temp. sending unit. Now I may need a new fuel pump. Whats next. LOL Thanks again for your reply

Bob

firstx said:
I just went outside to the truck and turned the key and heard a humming sound. Then I started it and started right up with no delay. Don't know what to think. I guess time will tell. Thanks for your reply

Bob

you need to check your fuel pressure. Sounds like when you turn the key off you are losing pressure at the rails, which cause a long cranking time. Oh, and by the way, holding the gas down doesn't do anything.

-Drew

This morning it started right up with no problems and it was freezing cold.

One thing I forgot to mention is,whens its warmed up it starts fine.I'll have it checked out when I go on vacation on the 20th and see what they find.

Thanks for the info

Bob

Problem Solved

Got off work Tuesday,started the truck and the dang thing wouldn't stay idle. Then I knew it was my IAC. Put a new one on the problem solved. Truck started right up this morning (just like new). Happy Holidays

Bob

have92 xlt hard starting, have to put pedal on floor and grind the starter to run. sits chugs all of a sudden runs normal. p.s. new fuel pump.

Back