Brake Pad Shims or "Slippers" Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Pad Shims or "Slippers" Question

Oldwolf

Reaction score
City, State
Cary, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT, 4x4, 4.0 SOHC
I am getting the parts together to change the front and rear pads on my 02 XLT 4x4. The manual says the stainless steel “slippers” should always be changed when new pads are installed. The slippers look to be some kind of a shim that fits on both edges of the pad.

Anyway, the pads I bought did not come with new slippers, and I bought the “Gold” AutoZone variety. You would have thought they would be included if it was really important to change them. I went ahead and bought the slippers separately just in case.

So my question is, do you think the slippers should always be changed with new pads?

If you can believe it, I have 100,000 miles on my pads and they still have some material left. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i really would not worry about changing them, pads would be first and foremost and also check the rotor for warping/cracking....etc...

What can happen if the slippers are worn out, stretched, whatever?

The slippers or shims are usually used to reduce noise. Applying copper grease or anti-seize to the back of the pad can help if you don't have the shims.

They fit on the pad or on the caliper bracket?

They fit between the pad tabs and the notch in the caliper where the pads fit.

If I understand the part you are talking about...I have never replaced mine (105k) - just cleaned them and cleaned under them to remove rust build-up. They're stainless and prevent the pad ear from rusting to the pad slide and binding up.

Yes, that is exactly the part I was discussing. I went ahead and replaced them becuse I bought the $15 kit. As a plus, the kit had new rubber boots for the caliper pins and the rubber replacement that goes on one of the pins.

The pads where very easy to replace, much easier than the pads on my Chevy.

Tonight I am going to do the rear pads and reuse the slippers. The rear pads should be even easier to do I think.

One thing about the rear pads that threw me when reading the repair manual; apparently you do not (or cannot) remove the caliper pins for cleaning and lubricating, what is that all about? :dunno:

Back