How to tell if my X is Flex Fuel or not | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to tell if my X is Flex Fuel or not

ISULarry

Reaction score
City, State
Marion, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Back in the day ford used to put the little green badge on the flex fuel vehicles. . . . but I haven't seen those in a while. The manual doesn't tell me how to identify if my X is flex fuel or not and there has been some conflicting information on the internet. How can I tell if my X is flex fuel? I don't think it is but would like to know anyway! (ok ok ok ok , I AM a nerd! lol)

thanks
Larry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure about the 05' but in the manual for my 02' it says to check your vin number,if the 8th digit is a "K" it is a flex fuel vehicle.

Check the label on the inside of the fuel door

My 04 XLT V8 has a label on the fuel door that says E85 Ethanol or Gasoline
Not sure on an X in the vin.

Flex Fuel

Mine has a label, but it says Ethanol not E85. Around here we've had Ethanol for about 18 years and without it saying E85 I didn't trust that it was flex fuel. Mine does have the K in the VIN at the 8th position and after a LOT of digging in the manual I found where it says that means it's a flex fuel vehicle. Thanks everyone for the help

Larry

Ford Motor Company® Vehicle

Make:................2nd&3rd Characters................8th Character
Taurus....................FA........................................2
Mercury Sable..........ME........................................2
Ranger....................FT........................................V
Explorer..................FM........................................K
Merc Mountaineer.....M2........................................K

List from Ford Motor Company®

MY '06-'07 4.6L Ford Crown Victoria (2-valve, excluding taxi and police units)
MY '06-'07 5.4L Ford F-150
MY '06-'07 4.6L Lincoln Town Car (2-valve)
MY '06 Crown Vic, Mercury Marquis, Lincoln Town Car, & F-150
MY '04-'05 4.0L Explorer Sport Trac*
MY '02-'05 4.0L Explorer*
MY '99-'06 3.0L Taurus LX, SE, & SES Sedan*
MY '01-'03 3.0L Ranger Supercab 2WD Pickup*
MY '99-'00 3.0L Ranger 2WD & 4WD Pickup*

*Selected vehicles

Plus, your fuel door will have a sticker on it that says that either regular unleaded gas or FLEX FUEL can be used.

Wouldn't even bother putting E85 in mine if it was. Can't find it anywhere in Dallas area & you get much worse gas mileage. Don't see how that really helps the environment. Corn for ethanol is also raising the prices of corn for eating as well as milk & beef since ranchers are having to spend more for corn feed.

Wouldn't even bother putting E85 in mine if it was. Can't find it anywhere in Dallas area & you get much worse gas mileage. Don't see how that really helps the environment. Corn for ethanol is also raising the prices of corn for eating as well as milk & beef since ranchers are having to spend more for corn feed.

I have tried the E85 and only lost 10% (from 16 in city to 15 and from 21 on highways to 19). but at a 40-50 cent savings at most stations I was able to get it on my way up north thru the corn belt, it was well worth it since i was getting a 20% savings (from 2.50 for reg gas and 2.00 for E85). plus, most farmers and people in these areas will tell you they love it. i was also told by a few who would know about the cost to farmers that the corn they use is not the same sweet corn we eat and after they make the E85, there is some sort of after product that they sell to the livestock farmers. so, as for your opinion about E85, it is slightly misinformed (no doubt by some of those people who dont like ethanol). it can also be said that E85 is not only made from corn, but a few other sources (sugar cane, fruit etc) and more are being developed. I embrace anything that will cut the dependency for foreign oil in any way. i dont expect it to totally replace oil, but we need to start developing other alternatives to oil now and not wait till its too late.

I have tried the E85 and only lost 10% (from 16 in city to 15 and from 21 on highways to 19). but at a 40-50 cent savings at most stations I was able to get it on my way up north thru the corn belt, it was well worth it since i was getting a 20% savings (from 2.50 for reg gas and 2.00 for E85). plus, most farmers and people in these areas will tell you they love it. i was also told by a few who would know about the cost to farmers that the corn they use is not the same sweet corn we eat and after they make the E85, there is some sort of after product that they sell to the livestock farmers. so, as for your opinion about E85, it is slightly misinformed (no doubt by some of those people who dont like ethanol). it can also be said that E85 is not only made from corn, but a few other sources (sugar cane, fruit etc) and more are being developed. I embrace anything that will cut the dependency for foreign oil in any way. i dont expect it to totally replace oil, but we need to start developing other alternatives to oil now and not wait till its too late.

My coworker has used it a couple of times here lately - I didn't realize the cost of it was actually lower than regular petro - however, it's only available in about 4 or 5 stations in the DFW area. If it was more of an option & I were to see a true cost savings for myself, I would be willing to try it - so in that regard, maybe I'm wrong. But from everything I'm hearing from more than just one source, it just seems that it doesn't burn as effeciently as gas. Don't get me wrong, we definitely need to lessen the dependency on foreigh petroleum...Don't want to get into a political debate here.

We have a few places here that sells E-85 but I haven't tried it myself.My son has been using it in his truck though for about a year.He says it doesn't save him any money though,with the lower mpg he gets he says it is about the same cost as when he was burning gas.I know we should wean ourselves from foreign oil but they need to make it cheaper to use than gas for it to really catch on.

Back