94 Limited reverse goes into drive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Limited reverse goes into drive

Nettie

Reaction score
City, State
BFE, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Okay, bear with me, I've searched, read the diary on the rebuild, etc... but I haven't turned a wrench very much in over 10 years (I was a generator/light wheel mechanic in the Army, yes, as a female, but trannys were something 3rd or 4th shop would do, not us).

94 Explorer Limited, 4WD, A4LD transmission, 177k on it. Fluid is still red, no problems with level, etc., runs great, drives great... but when you put it into reverse, it's drive. So.. no parking in anywhere I need to back out of. :p:

No problems that I've seen in any other gear, 4WD seems to be working fine, etc. I just picked this truck up and it's my new "project" as the tranny on my Dodge Intrepid is wonky as well. Since I live in the country, makes more sense to sell off the car & let someone else deal with it than fix it.

So. Where do I start. What do I begin looking at to fix the no reverse problem. Like I said, no problem turning a wrench, my sweetie's brother has a shop & all the tools I should need, but since transmissions aren't my thing, would like to start with little possibilities, and then do a rebuild if I have to.

Thanks in advance!

First has there been any linkage damage? Get under there and check. If all looks good drop the pan and check your Z link... that connects the lever to the manual valve.... since the linkage in the A4LD is all manual and all the electronics do is cause the 3-4 shift and the TC lockup, your problem has to be in the linkage setup somehow - the manual valve is not getting into the R position.

there is an adjuster knob for the indicator you could try that.

Thanks! Will drop the pan sometime this weekend, work permitting, check that out, linkage looks good from just a visual crawling under it..

Back