gen 3 suspension lift. FOUND!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gen 3 suspension lift. FOUND!!!

prerunner02 said:
The damn thing will lower the throttle and can brake each wheel independantly to straighten you out.

I always wondered why my truck felt like it was cutting power when I was playing in the mud. Now I know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I couldn't get mine to do do-nuts in the snow last year. Then I found the brown wire mod.:)

Drewstang said:
I couldn't get mine to do do-nuts in the snow last year. Then I found the brown wire mod.:)

Holy Crap its Drewstang. Hey its Jeff M. on 502ss. Cool to see someone from L'ville on here.

the Advance trac in my 02 is totally defeatable. Just one push of the button turns off the throttle kill, then push again and it turns off the brake activation for slip control. I happen to think the advance trac works really well.
A lift kit for the third gen is exciting though, since I just sold my 92 lifted playtoy.

So, Anyone buy the coilover yet?

I plan to buy the fronts and back and lift it 2.5-3.0 and see how it goes. then from there, a body lift and some custom brackets for the bumper from a shop.

I am at lunch now but at the end of the day I will be putting my truck on the lift and measuring the amount of down travel the suspension has, and how much room there is between the half shafts and the frame. I will be doing a few other things like checking for room and routing of a by-pass oil filter, adjusting the bands on the tranny, and finding out what is needed for a body lift. Ill let everyone know what I find out when I get home tonight.

can you get some pics up when your done?

ok so what i found is there is only 3" of down travel total. the shocks limit the travel, so if a little longer were used it would be ok. there is still about an inch of space between the rear halfshafts and the frame hole. and as for a bl is concerned the rear bumper is attached to the body so no brackets needed there. the front bumper would be very simple it is flat mounted with 2 bolts on each side. it appears that none of the wiring would need to be extended. the parking brake cable would need to be extended, and i would put a spacer in the steering(personal preference) possibly not needed. the brake lines in the front do not have the usual coils that can be stretched. it (unfortunately) would have to be extended for even a 1" bl. and then the radiator brackets would have to be modified. i also adjusted the bands in the transmission. and holy crap that long 2-3 shift is not there anymore!!!!! it actually shifts equally through every gear.i mean its still too soft for my liking but atleast it all shifts equally now. sorry no pics my cam was at home.

So has no one done this lift yet??
I am in Australia and am not keen to be the guinea pig with a part to come from the USA + I have a lathe and will probably make my own if one of you chaps gives it the thumbs up
Scotty

not yet. I've got 2 years and about 16K miles of warranty left before I will attempt this lift. I would go for 1 or 1.5 inches of lift, just enough for a little extra clearance and go with some bigger tires. Probably 267/75's to keep the overall revs per mile from changing too much

so has anyone got any pictures yet? trying to decide what to spend my money on :)

Back