Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
This a picture of my 98 SOHC Motor. This motor has a Balancer Built in to the Motor. I know there are Other year model SOHC motors that do not have this balancer.

My question is this.. How did the newer motors get balanced at the factory? and if I was to remove this balancer how can I balance the Motor with out it shaking apart Ie balance it like a Newer motor.

Picture_037.jpg

Picture_038.jpg

I know this has had to been an issue with other People in the past Because this Balancer can not be used in trucks with SOHC Swaps on earlier model Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wasn't aware that there was a balancer in there. What else does it drive? The oil pump? Kris, are you rebuilding the engine?

I thought the balancer was just for 4WD models, 2WD models do not have it. I'm really curious to know why if someone has a good explanation.

I thought the balancer was just for 4WD models, 2WD models do not have it. I'm really curious to know why if someone has a good explanation.

Daffy,
You are correct, the balance shaft is in the 4wd version of the SOHC motor. It does not drive anything. The jack shaft however, drives the oil pump. To the best of my knowledge, all 4wd 4.0 SOHC engines have the shaft, regardless of model year.

Asking for a good explanation of the Ford 4.0 SOHC engine is almost laughable, they used plastic guides for a metal chain, likely in an effort reduce the front end production costs. I'm not sure FOMOCO has a good explanation for anything anymore.

Mr. H.

from what I can Tell there is nothing that this shaft and the oil pump have in common. They are not connected. But the Question is still there can I remove the Shaft with out problems?

Daffy,
You are correct, the balance shaft is in the 4wd version of the SOHC motor. It does not drive anything. The jack shaft however, drives the oil pump. To the best of my knowledge, all 4wd 4.0 SOHC engines have the shaft, regardless of model year.

Asking for a good explanation of the Ford 4.0 SOHC engine is almost laughable, they used plastic guides for a metal chain, likely in an effort reduce the front end production costs. I'm not sure FOMOCO has a good explanation for anything anymore.

Mr. H.

from what I can Tell there is nothing that this shaft and the oil pump have in common. They are not connected. But the Question is still there can I remove the Shaft with out problems?

No, the engine will shake itself to death.

Kris, I would keep it, the 2WD/4WD likely are balanced differently. My balance shaft was out of time, I was fortunate to check and discover that. My balance shaft tensioner broke when I removed the chain, it is extremely fragile. It has timing marks on the balancer and drive gear, check the service manual for alignment locations. You have to remove the pans to work on the balance shaft or its chain, so be sure now before you put the pans back on. Good luck,

Any Ideas on how the 2wd are balanced?

Hi Kris,

Not sure really. I checked out all of my stuff, cannot see what would replace the balance shaft in the 2WD version of the vehicle. Sorry.

I read a post from a guy in Australia who was told by Ford that the balance shaft was not necessary. There is an oil passage that needs to be plugged; probably the one that feeds the tensioner. These engines are not balanced by the shaft. They are likely balanced with holes drilled in the crankshaft, and/or weights on the flywheel/ringear. The shaft is there to smooth out the V6 engine.

If the parts are in the engine, leave them in the engine. The tiny chain and tensioner are almost no cost parts. I don't believe in every thing said or written, but I think the 4WD should have the balance shaft.

Kris, that balance shaft isn't about the balance of the rotating assembly. It is exactly like balance shafts for other older engines. Typically an imbalance is created when the angle of the cylinder banks and crank throws are not sequenced evenly. It is easy with a 90 degree engine, these 4.0 V6's are 70 degrees I believe.

If you change it to a 90 degree block you can remove the balance shaft. Otherwise leave it alone. Regards,

Well with the Swap I am doing I have NO choice. I either Buy a 2wd SOHC with out the balance shaft or use the Motor I have and Remove the balance shaft. I CAN NOT fit this motor in the Explorer I have with the balance shaft in place.

I too was told the balance shaft only is to reduce vibration in 4x4 Models and can be removed and to plug the bearing holes for the Balance shaft.

If the parts are in the engine, leave them in the engine. The tiny chain and tensioner are almost no cost parts. I don't believe in every thing said or written, but I think the 4WD should have the balance shaft.

Kris, that balance shaft isn't about the balance of the rotating assembly. It is exactly like balance shafts for other older engines. Typically an imbalance is created when the angle of the cylinder banks and crank throws are not sequenced evenly. It is easy with a 90 degree engine, these 4.0 V6's are 70 degrees I believe.

If you change it to a 90 degree block you can remove the balance shaft. Otherwise leave it alone. Regards,

Kris, what Explorer can't take the SOHC oil pan? I don't understand the problem.

The vibration caused by the banks of the block not being 90 degrees would be nothing like an imbalanced reciprocating assembly. If someone you trust suggests that you can do without the balance shaft, and you need to, do it. The balance of the assembly might be slightly different from 2WD to 4WD, but it wouldn't be much if any. The balance shaft for various engines have always been for annoying vibrations, nothing critical. Regards,

Did anyone find out if the engine would be ok without the balance shaft? My chain tensioner is broke for my balance shaft. The engine is in the truck. Can I drop the pan down enough in the truck to replace this tensioner? What if I just removed the chain from the balance shaft. Would it work ok without it?

I have removed the Shaft in my SOHC motor but have yet to start the truck. I set the Motor up like a 2wd model. Which means you have to take the balance shaft out and plug the oil journal holes for the Balance shaft. If you dont do this you will lose oil pressure from what I am told. The Balance Shaft job is only to minimize vibrations when the Truck is in Low Range on 4x4 models.

So I can't just remove the chain and leave the balance shaft in place? The only reason I ask is because I've worked my butt off on this engine while it is in the truck. I hate to have to remove the engine now just for a balance shaft tensioner.

I discovered that my balance shaft was out of time, so I had to drop both pans to remove the balance shaft to set its timing. I went that route before checking a manual to see if it could be timed in another way.

Mr. H.

Porsche and Mercedes have been using plastic timing chain guides for many years. Cost is certainly not the issue on their cars. The issue is avoiding the debris caused by metal-to-metal contact. Ford’s mistake was the type of plastic used in the original parts. The revised parts are still plastic, albeit a different type.

I think i wouldnt leave it in there - if its not in the 2wd then it cant be that bad to leave it out - its more trouble than its worth + it actually reduces drive power by upto 5% according to wiki. also this engine is a very well balanced was a 60° cast iron block. full details in wiki link below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine#4.0

in my opinion no balance shaft is needed - (and who really drives in low range anyway).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I have some more balance shaft info for you as well. You can take a balance shaft motor and remove it and the chain plug the oiling holes and the motor will run completely normal. The balance shaft is not needed. I have a installed a 2002 SOHC balance shaft motor (with it removed) into a 99 Sport no vibrations. I want to know what is really does. because it sure doesn't cut down on vibrations.

Back