4.0 SOHC Faster than 5.0HO?????? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 SOHC Faster than 5.0HO??????

Thats strange because on my SOHC explorer, i got an intake, exhaust did the tune up and all, any my millage shot up to over 20 in the city...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Right. ive read that before. I know the SOHC gets better millage. Im saying its weird that the 5.0 would suffer when the SOHC improves with the same modification...

The 302 trucks are severely limited by the worst exhaust manifolds ever made. If you could bolt on a Mustang header, the engine might gain 25 real horsepower with PCM tuning.

The PCM's before the changes of about 2002 do not learn much as time passes. Later PCM's do learn a lot about transmission preferences. Before those 2002+ models you only return to default settings and not much changes after that.

Meaning that only true PCM tuning can get the most out of the engine. That means a new PCM program designed for the changes, and loaded into the PCM. Flashers do that, but they are not cheap. The best programming comes from data logging the actual A/F ratios with a wide band O2 sensor.

The SOHC Explorers have excellent transmission ratios, a major advantage over the gearing of the 4R70W four speed. If you want best acceleration with the 4R70W for real racing, swap the wide ratio planetary out for a close ratio unit from an AODE. Regards,

I have heard the debate before...I attempted this with my friend driving a fully stock '01 XLS 4.0 sohc 4x4 with 3:73s....I in my fully stock '00 limited 5.0 awd with 3:73s...

From a dead stop the 5.0 romped on the 4.0 untill 70 or so when the 4.0 gained...

From a rolling start the 5.0 did not have a chance(from 50mph)...

Also with trucks being this old it depends on how well they have been maintined...If it has not had plugs done in 8 years and 120k miles and the other had them done every 30k there will be a differance...

Also with trucks being this old it depends on how well they have been maintined...If it has not had plugs done in 8 years and 120k miles and the other had them done every 30k there will be a differance...[/QUOTE]

Both of my trucks are in their Most Optimum state. I dont play with that. I depend heavily on my trucks. Maintanance has been done regularly. On every oil change my mechanic and i go through the whole truck. From bumper to bumper.. My wife drives my kids and I drive long distances for work, so breaking down somewhere in west Bubblef*ck or putting my family in danger isn't an option for me.
Both trucks have same millage and same FMS goodies.

There are 4 or 5 different versions of the SOHCs.
97 to 98 was Version 1
99 to 01 was Version 2
02 to 04 was Version 3
05 to Present is Version 4

I believe they were all classified as Vin E. I believe the SOHCs that can accept E85 are Vin K, that should be the only difference in Vin numbers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
You mostly right and i was mostly wrong. The 2nd gen. Explorer only has 3 types of engines. The Ranger has 3 also but one engine type is also in the Explorer.

Explorer Engine Types
vin liter hp torque
X 4.0 160 225
E 4.0 205 245
P 5.0 210 280

Ranger Engine Types
vin liter hp torque
C 2.5 117 149
U 3.0 147 162
X 4.0 160 225

This is all factory specs so it may be different then what they say. And no I haven't dyno tested mine but the more miles you have on it the less power and my engine only has 40,000 on it. So it will kick yours aldive.

I believe the Rangers also had the 4.0 sohc after 97 maybe. I am not quite sure because X is the vin code for the 4.0 ohv and those hp and tq rating agree. The Rangers I know for a fact also had the 4.0 sohc, now what year that started, i couldn't tell you.

An I think we miss understood each other. I was strictly talking about the SOHC in the above post you quoted. There are different versions of the OHC due to the changing in piston and compression ratios. But, you above post is also correct, there were those engine choices till 2001 when they phased out the 4.0 ohv vin X engine due to the 3rd gens being larger. But, all 4.0s got the 5r55e trans after 97.

well my 96 4.0 explorer with 4 gears woops my dads 2000 4.0 explorer with 5 gears! this is UK spec but i doubt anything major was changed when released here, on a UK site it mentions the 0-60 time for these are 10.6 secs and the post i see above says 8.1 secs? i can do 55mph in 1st and about 80-90 in 2nd.

Not sure but i thought the SOHC 4.0 wasnt an option for the ranger till 2002.

i was racing my mates mondeo so needed all the grunt to beat his

My SOHC went 55 in first and about 90 in second.. Sounds like you got the 5 speed bro!!!

My SOHC went 55 in first and about 90 in second.. Sounds like you got the 5 speed bro!!!

so this is a 5 speed judging by the speeds in each gear? what speeds would a 4 speed have in each gear? to be honest i can only feel 3 gears when i drive around:confused:

Well, my 5.0 goes about 35-40 in first... and i have the 4r70w, with 3.73 diffy, im sure the rear end gearing effects this, my SOHC had 3.55 gearing in it.

2001 was the first year of the SOHC in the ranger I believe

Ya, you have a five speed. I know in mine you really don't feel or hear 2nd. Its when you get to 3rd do you hear it or feel it slam in.
You may only feel 2nd when towing, go up steep hills, or when you pass. When you pass, your automatic down shifts to get that torque you need to do the passing. Same thing happens when going up steep hills. I know this from driving to my old high school every day which was on top of a very steep hill.
Check you vin to make sure and I don't think the sohc engine came with a 4 speed and a option. But I don't know that as a fact.

SOHC's only had a 5r55e (5 speed) tranny. 91-95 i believe was the a4ld and 96 and up 5.0's were 4r70w, and 96-99 i believe was a 4r70w in the OHv and then it got the 5r55e if i remember correctly for the last few years of production

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96-99 i believe was a 4r70w in the OHv and then it got the 5r55e if i remember correctly for the last few years of production

The 4r70w would not fit behind the 4.0L OHV, not at all.
4r70w was only used behind the 5.0L in the explorer, 4.6 & 5.4 trucks would come later

Back