5R55E transmission minor Slippage from 1st to 2nd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E transmission minor Slippage from 1st to 2nd

rob17san

Reaction score
City, State
DENVER CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited
Ok. So I have a 1999 X with the SOHC v-6 and the 5R55e. I take very good care of it and have owned it since 2003 and 28k miles. Anyway, on to the transmission. I noticed about 30days ago that shifting between 1st and 2nd that there was a hop or mis shift. Its pretty minor, and only does it if I am just going slow. If I am hauling @ss you cant tell. If im conserving gas and just taking off from a light slow you can feel it. Its almost like a hop, but also like it is reving up a bit before the shift. I have used the tunes that I got on my xcalibrator 2 for awhile now. I thought maybe that caused this, so i took the tunes off. Still, same situation. Do you guys think its the valve body, or early signs or damage? I changed the fluid with amsoil full synthetic and filter at 70k. Just had brakesplus reflush it again last week with there cheap stuff. Fluid is perfect red color and wasnt bad before the 2nd flush either.

Any Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? I never get responses to my posts. I cant figure out what I do wrong.

Could be the valve body gaskets and such. I would read over the 5R55E rebuild diary, Im sure you will find your answers and a lot of good information there. Sounds like a VB issue to me though.

Dan

Ditto, the upgrades recommended by Ford should help, or the aftermarket choices. With a flasher you can get a better tune to help the shifting, contact the tuner for suggestions. Regards,

I have a 2000 Explorer xlt 4x4 sohc v6 with the 5R55E... and it just started to shift the same way...

talked to a mechanic... he wasnt for sure but he said check out the valve body... and do the upgrade to it... and see if that helps...

I have had the same symptoms (5r55e) for over a year. If I acelerate above 2500 rpm between shifts it is fine. If I get stuck in stop and go traffic,very rare for where I live, it acts up. At 184k miles on the orgianal tranny I am going to ride it till it dies. I have a shop that will do a rebuild for $1,000 which comes with a 12 month unlimited mile warranty.

I do have a new epc solenoid but never installed it. maybe the next pan drop I will put it in.

Back