4R70W Hard 1st-2nd Shift

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
I have a 99 5.0 drivetrain I'm going to be using, it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd and I want to fix it while the transmission is out the truck, what's the process for fixing that?

Check your 1-2 accumulator and spring(it could be broken). Not really a pattern failure past 97, but who knows. You don't even have to drop the valve body.

I think that's what it is to be honest, it's a early 99, it does it every single time without failure, throttle doesn't matter

Ditto. With it out, that's an easy time to replace some common wear items. The control systems are the cause of 90% or more of issues, not the hard parts or clutches. So think about spending $150 or so on new solenoids, accumulators, and a couple of Sonnax upgrades. A VB kit is a good idea too if you are up to intricate(small parts) work in the VB. The J-Mod is kind of simple and easy if you know what size holes to drill, and where. Researching that is tough, so many people suggest different sizes for various vehicles. I didn't find anything about the Explorer versions, but lots for Thunderbirds, Mark VIII's, CV's and Mustangs.

Back