• Register Today It's free!

Overhauling time (soon)

BExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XL 4x4
I have a 94 4 doors XL, manual trans 4x4, manual lockers and rear add-a-leaf. Next year or so I want to overhaul the truck, there is rust everywhere I look (even see inside-out at some places) and I want to make it better for the winter.

I was tinking of ARB lockers, raising the truck couple of inchs to get more ground clearance (not too much it must still fit my 8 foot high garage door)with larger tires of course, removing the carpet to put rubber on all the floor. Also want to make some tube bumpers (front and rear) and fit my spare on the rear bumper (get it out of under the vehicule). On the engine side I need to do a gasket kit (oil leaking a little bit) but am not sure about doing the inside parts ??? And not the least, do all the lower body work and paint it (still the original paint, at least where there is paint left....)

So the point of all this is to get it sturdy for winter purpose.

I would like to get some input from you Explorer fans, more idea and some of your experience with product that could help me achieve my goal.

Thanks all.....:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a compression check and see how the engine is doing.. If the compression is good all the way across, at the most, do a head job (they are prone to cracking).. doing the heads means you will reseal the upper half of the motor..

As for the locker.. Get a selectable locker (ARB) for the rear.. an automatic locker and snow/ice don't mix well.. Its not the end of the world, but it can making driving in it very interesting.

BTW.. since you alrady have rust.. expect bolts like exhaust manifold to be frozen.. and will problably break.. start spraying them with pb blaster now if you expect to have a chance of getting them off.

~Mark

I lived in upstate NY for a long time and the weather is about the same where you are so if your explorer looks like I think it does,like every other old truck in upstate NY and in Minnesota where I am now I wouldn't spend any money fixing it.Take my word for it ,I'm 52 and been there and done that a lot of times,waste of money.Find an explorer from out of the rust belt and start with something that will last a few years,if you want save, yours for an off road/parts rat. You can't fix rusty junk and make it last....really. :D

Take the advice of safn1949 I lived in vermont for years as well, do not put any money into that truck. A 1994 from Quebec, that thing belongs in a muesuem. Those explorers are tough, keep it on the road, when it breaks, get rid of it.

To keep or not to keep?

Maniak -> Why an auto locker in the front ? I was thinking of both selectable ARB's...

safn1949 -> It's not a truck that I drive daily (at least not in the summer). I did tought of takin it to the graveward in about 2 years... an getting an almost new Ranger (more practical for me). Still not sure yet, because of the rust, the mechanical looks in good shape but need some refreshing.

Keep the idea flowing, if I keep the Ex or not my next truck will get the same treatement. :D

Thanks

Maniak -> Why an auto locker in the front ? I was thinking of both selectable ARB's...

Thats what I was saying.. do not get automatic lockers.. get selectable (ARB is selectable)..

safn1949 -> It's not a truck that I drive daily (at least not in the summer). I did tought of takin it to the graveward in about 2 years... an getting an almost new Ranger (more practical for me). Still not sure yet, because of the rust, the mechanical looks in good shape but need some refreshing.

Keep the idea flowing, if I keep the Ex or not my next truck will get the same treatement. :D

Thanks

No need to get rid of it,just don't put a bunch of money in it if the body is bad. It will make a great offroad truck. Leaks a little oil? So what,as long as it's not 2 quarts a week and you are not leaving an oil slick behind you.The point is,do the work to increase your fun factor,bumpers,move the spare, tires and small lift and then run the crap out of it and the heck with the body.When it blows up or you crash it or roll it you get out and laugh your head off. Only fix it enough so you don't freeze to death in the winter.In the end that's what will happen to mine also,it's in good shape now but in 5+ years it will be beat enough to do offroad duty.:D

The Detroit TrueTrac limited slip does very well in snow. I'd suggest putting one in the front. As for an anti-rust fix, I'd suggest coating at least your rockers in bed liner. I did my entire truck in it and the coating basically looks, feels, and functions like a huge condom over the truck. lol. Rust can't get in since water just drains off of it the second it goes on.

Fun rebuilding

safn1949 -> That's kind of what I had in mind " Increase the fun factor". When I said body work I just wanted to remove the holes from it. I had no intention of making it new again, but I did want it to look a little better (and also keep the cops away from it, they dont like old rust bucket too much).

Thanks for your inputs. I will continue my search with all this in mind, and have some fun in the process.:D:thumbsup:

Back