• Register Today It's free!

AAL Vibes!

Thermobulk

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 4L Explorer Sport 4x4
I just did AAL & Rearc to level out the back (it was about an inch and a half saggy) and now I'm getting brutal vibrations from about 20km/h up. Mechanic says it must be because we changed the driveshaft angle. That doesn't make sense to me, because we only leveled it; we didn't stand it 6 inches in the air.

When this thing rolled off the lot brand new it would've been level and I seriously doubt it vibrated. So what the hell?

He says that they can shim the rear diff to reduce the angle and see if that works.

Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start out by replacing the u joints in the rear. It could be that the angles changed and threw the u joints out of whack.

Thanks Dan

I didn't realize the U joints can be permanently thrown out of whack. I figured they worked properly at any angle until they reached an angle that was just too sharp for them to accomodate. I wonder if there's an aftermarket greasable u joint with a wider spectrum of movement...

I didn't realize the U joints can be permanently thrown out of whack. I figured they worked properly at any angle until they reached an angle that was just too sharp for them to accomodate. I wonder if there's an aftermarket greasable u joint with a wider spectrum of movement...

yours were prolly just old... think of all the people that have lifted with aal shackes or even superlift, and had no u joint problems., i know i havent for the year i have had my shackles and aal

That's actually a really good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for the perspective!

That's actually a really good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks for the perspective!

i think if shackles and aal made all the u joints go bad, i think we would have alot of pissed off/u joint trouble threads lol think numbers. i bet 150 people at least on this website have shackles and aal... some even have super/trailmaster lifts....

That makes even more sense. Thanks again Patrick!

The u-joints are most likely bad, if you never took it off the street, it likely never exceeded a few degrees of movement. I've had to replace the u-joints twice in the time I owned my explorer. Just buy some decent joints, doesn't matter if they are greaseable or not unless you constantly see water crossings.

Dan

Back