1997-01 v-8 5.0 ticking noise under load - EGR Tube identification-part number | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997-01 v-8 5.0 ticking noise under load - EGR Tube identification-part number

Thanks for the tips..gonna tackle this next weekend I hope.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel System running to lean?

I have a 96' Explorer 5.0 4X4 and im having the same ticking but im getting 2 check engine codes from a diagnostic reader... fuel system to lean (bank 1) and fuel system to lean (bank 2). I've been told it's probly the o2 sensors but I was wondering if a cracked header could cause the same code?

what do you guys think this could be?? i went wheelin today- pretty hard i might say- i have a 3 '' body lift so there is a gap between the splash sheilds and the frame.. anyways-i went in runnin good then comin out my left exhaust manifold has started ticking BAD....what could that b from?

You no what I thought it was cracked headers.I replaced both headers last week.Im still getting the dam ticking noise under a load.Could it be the cat-converter right after the headers.My exhaust is still the original stock exhaust.

I'm starting to think I am predetinating cause I have old spark plugs in it,plus oversized tires with no regearing.This is the first for me to still have this tick after replacing the headers.If you have any ideas of what it could be please let me no.

turn the truck on, get under it and feel around the exhaust for any leaks. Are you 100% positive the ticking is from exhaust?

turn the truck on, get under it and feel around the exhaust for any leaks. Are you 100% positive the ticking is from exhaust?

Yes its from the exhaust,I just cant figure what one of the 4 cats I want to start replacing.California muffler shops are a rep-off.Over $1200 for new exhaust.I have had my miller 220 welder for some time now so its just a matter of replacing one cat at a time.Thanks for the advice.

The dealler tried to charge me $1750 for new headers so I got cheap after markets ones by dorman.$360 out the door.What a difference.:D but it may be the reason why the headers sound tappy.:(

I just replaced my EGR tube. To my disappointment the one I took out looked good. I put the new one in and after it was all buttoned up I found on the test drive that the familiar tick had not left. Looks like I'll be doing a manifold replacement. How difficult is this to replace?

i have a 2001 with the cast iron manifolds and i get a tick from passanger side bank real loud now. The mechanic did not see where it was coming from but said he can put it in the air and inspect better. I can get a replacement manifold locally for $17 but how tough is this job to do? Thanks

So my '99 5.0l EB has the common tick while i am accelerating. I was looking on rockauto.com for the egr tube and i cant seem to find it. I also searched for DORMAN Part # 598111 that was mentioned in an earlier post, and it couldn't find any parts. I looked on autozone and napa websites and couldn't find it there either. Any suggestions? Am i looking for the wrong thing?

I noticed the same thing. Advance Auto was the only parts place that listed it. $55.99 I went to a local independant place and got it for $42.

I'm having trouble finding the part on any website. Can someone give me an updated part #?

Last time I checked Rock Auto had stopped selling it from their website. Very disappointing. Have you tried the dealer?

Kyle

Just ordered the tube from the dealer. It's on backorder and was $65 plus tax. Another dealer wanted to charge $90. I'll post before and after pics when it's installed.

If you guys can, post up pix of the failed parts, that way we all know what we're looking at.

I too have a tick, and mine sounds like its from the driver side though.

99 5.0L 2wd/4dr 105K on the clock. :)

I'm happy I just got rid of the suspension squeak I had all winter (lots of spray lube and some big speed humps fixed it).

Just gotta get this thing to last a couple more years w/o any break down....still running stock wires too :D

If you guys can, post up pix of the failed parts, that way we all know what we're looking at.

I too have a tick, and mine sounds like its from the driver side though.

99 5.0L 2wd/4dr 105K on the clock. :)

I'm happy I just got rid of the suspension squeak I had all winter (lots of spray lube and some big speed humps fixed it).

Just gotta get this thing to last a couple more years w/o any break down....still running stock wires too :D

i dont have pics but dude i just wanna let you know you have one of the strongest explorers ford ever made! the 5.0 and 4r70w trans are bulletproof if it had somewhat good maintenence done to it! i have a 97 with 140k on her and i have -driven her like someones chasing me, jumped it, stuck in almost 3 ft of mud screamin at 5k rpms, had 33s and stock gears since nov,and hit the speed limiter!(stock tires) and the only things i had to replace were an idler pulley that was under mud for a while and front and rear pinion seals! (also killed by mud) :D

i dont have pics but dude i just wanna let you know you have one of the strongest explorers ford ever made! the 5.0 and 4r70w trans are bulletproof if it had somewhat good maintenence done to it! i have a 97 with 140k on her and i have -driven her like someones chasing me, jumped it, stuck in almost 3 ft of mud screamin at 5k rpms, had 33s and stock gears since nov,and hit the speed limiter!(stock tires) and the only things i had to replace were an idler pulley that was under mud for a while and front and rear pinion seals! (also killed by mud) :D

I know its got one of the strongest 5.0L's made. Trans just ended up being a 'bonus' thanks to Ford. I've towed a Camaro from Cali to Pa w/o any issues (other than my rear springs hanging low)....and just maintenance items. I replaced the trans fluid last year finally....and figure in the next year or 2 I can change the rear diff fluid. Things seem good other than small crap. I've wrecked this truck and it didn't take much to get it back on the road. Just wish I got a couple miles more to the gallon....I think at best i've gotten CLOSE to 400 miles on a tank. But I did have to replace the fuel pump and get the tank cleaned as it sat for 3 years with fuel in it. Glad I'm as mechanically inclined as I am :)

I'm kinda glad this one is 2wd....as I'd have prolly messed it up more if it was 4wd.

Thing that gets me - Fords are the only things I can seem to get on the road and keep there.:salute:

Does anyone know if the 97 has more than one set up for the EGR? I have a 97 5.0 and I looked and I don't have an EGR tube where the pics in the first post show them...

It bolts on to the back side of the passenger side exhaust manifold. The 96 5.0 it doesn't have one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back