• Register Today It's free!

5.0 ticking noise?

Chef Sharkos

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
I have a 97 5.0 Explorer and it makes a ticking sound when driving around 2k rpm. I read a bunch of threads but they all point to egr and passengers exhaust manifold but mine happens to be on driver side. Best comparison I can think of is it sounds like cards in a bike spoke. Thanks. Car drives fine also. Probably should add, it only happens in drive, neutral doesn’t make the noise at all

The ticking is likely very faint in N at idle, but still there

Take a flashlight and have a look see at the drivers exhaust manifold...you are looking for black soot. The soot will show you where the manifold, gasket or downpipe is leaking. That is if the ticking is an exhaust leak. Look from the top, above the tire and from under the truck if you have to. Might also be helpful to remove drivers tire

Ticking on drivers side could also be:
spark plug wire shorting out, arcing spark not making it to the plug
lifter/valvetrain noise

Let us know what you find!

So weird discovery. Went to a muffler shop I trust, and they thought there was a rock in the heat shield of the front car. He tapped it with a mallet and it would rattle. He sticks a camera through the O2 sensor and it’s like a random piece of metal just in the cat. Have no idea what it could be but just need to pull it out with a magnet. I don’t think it’s from the cat because no CEL lol oh well

if its honeycomb shaped or grey in color it maybe the actual catalyst? They like to come loose and break into pieces and when they do they can cause some serious issues like a banana in the tailpipe.
Not uncommon for things to get dropped into the downpipes while working on these engines.......
Glad you may have found your noise!

Back