autolamp light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

autolamp light

kathyjo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have noticed (once this week and once last week) that the little green light on the rear view mirror (autolamp) stays lit (green) and I have had a dead batter twice over the last two weeks so am wondering if they are related. I am just not sure what it is - I know it says autolamp and I have had it from none to max but still the light twice now goes on and stays on. Hope that made sense. Mine is a 1999 Eddie Bauer Explorer (fern green with platinum trim) and real purdy! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Autolamp, is a sensor behind the mirror that turns your headlights on when it gets dark and off after you turn off the vehicle.

The indicator in the mirror should go off when the vehicle is off. The 'none to max' is the amount of time delay between the key off and the headlights off.

You can disable the Autolamp via the switch on the mirror.

It is doubtful that the indicator lamp would draw enough power to drain the battery overnight.

You might want to have the battery load tested at an autoparts store. Batteries do go bad after a while, especially for those of us that travel dirt roads of go off road frequently.

Let us know how it goes.

what makes the batteries go dead faster by going off road? the bumps and jerkyness?

Yeah, it breaks down the paste on the plates quicker.

A friend even had a Optima Redtop go bad on the trail last year. (it was 8 years old though). about 5 months later, my 4yr old wet cell Die Hard started going bad but I caught it before it left me stranded.

Yeah, it breaks down the paste on the plates quicker.

A friend even had a Optima Redtop go bad on the trail last year. (it was 8 years old though). about 5 months later, my 4yr old wet cell Die Hard started going bad but I caught it before it left me stranded.

hmm.. weird.. that explains alot then lol
I go back woods trail riding a lot and seem to have battery trouble every time I do.

what would cause that little green light to stay on - usually it goes off. What does it indicate?

Back