Adding autolamp and autodim mirror? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding autolamp and autodim mirror?

CougarSE

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII, 98 Mounty
I pulled the the autodim/autolamp mirror out of a optioned out explorer at the junkyard a week ago. I pulled the entire harness out all the way down to the area behind the fuse block. Now I know I'm crazy but I'm hoping that all I have to do is plug this harness into the same connector and it will work!

Has anyone done this? It looks like the mirror contains everything for the autolamp system. The overhead light sensor is on the mirror base and the control switch is in the mirror. I broke things and cut things out of the way to get to the connector on the junkyard truck so I can't really get into the area of the connector on my truck without pulling the dash back a bit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone done this on an '05? If I did it, what parts would I need to find to do it and how much am I going to be pulling out to install it?

I am not sure about the 2005 in how it is wired up. If you do a search on Autolamps you will find big country and my correspondence while I was installing it in my 97 ex. If you never had autolamps in a second generation explorer it will include installing at least one relay for the headlights, you may have to install an extra one for the parking lights as well as I had to on my 97.

While you are there you should try to install the overhead console as well because all the wiring that is there for the mirror is in the same harness for the console. All you have to hook up extra is a couple of wires and hook into the thermometer sensor in front of the radiator, then install a sensor.

Back