• Register Today It's free!

My old enemy......Rust.

privetryan89

Reaction score
City, State
Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4.0 SOHC
So I had a pretty bad rust problem on the corner rear fender on the passenger side where the the fender and running board meet before winter. I thought I had it where it could last till the spring where I would have the time to go take care of it. But with all these crazy snow storms, driving around on the salt soaked roads, and parking on my college campus where they over salt everything has taken the problem to a new level. It is now just becoming swiss cheese. I'll take pictures as soon as possible to show you what is exactly happening.

My question is, is there company out there that might sell a replacement patch that I would weld in place or do you think I'm going to have to form a piece from scrap?

I think this might be a common problem on the 2nd generation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont have one around my right now, but LMC might, other than that, it might look like you'll get to pratice your fabrication skills

o yeah... not just a second gen problem. ive seen thirds with rust.but you can order every pannel you need... just search online. lmc truck sells them for mt '94 not sure they go up to yur year tho. i know in michigan where i live the place that i bought my part were from Sherman Parts.com. im sure they ship out. just check out there website. www.shermanparts.com/index.html
it does cost more than makeing your own but these are weld in pieces. check em out and good luck.

rockers and rear fenders are VERY common as are tailgates and under door seems

only solutions are

1 cut them off a junked truck
2 make you own

Actually there are companies that sell just rockers and opening hem flanges that can be welded in. I don't know the name of the company my co-worker used, but his brother is a body shop tech and did his... They turned out fabulous.

lmc truck does sell the rockers...

AND THEY HAVE REAR QUATER PANNELS!!!

they say 91-94 but they look the same as my 96's and I bet you could cut the fenders off and use them

lmc truck does sell the rockers...

Yes, but they just slip over the existing rocker panels. No welding required. I know this for a fact as I called and asked them. You could probably weld them in but you will need to form a lap seam.

Raybucks does indeed have all the common patch panels you would need for the 1st and 2nd generation explorer's. Last summer I went through the process of rust repair also.. I did all the welding and mods myself and the raybucks parts are GREAT quality and fix perfectly..

I'll warn you when starting this project though that once you take your running boards off you aren't going to like what you see and you most likely will need to replace the whole rocker panel also if you want it to last.. From start to finish it took me 1 1/2 months, but it was also my first major body working experience and I had to wait on someone to paint it for me.

I havent personally used raybucks rocker panels... but if I have enough money this summer im gonna buy some to get put on. My income is low right now but plans are forming for my X this summer.

sorry i havent been up to date on this. I was consumed by finals and moving back home. I did enough repair to make it look fine for awhile but the rust is worse then I thought. It has just become to much. There is no way I would be able to repair it with my skills alone.

I have loved my explorer since the day I got it but I'm throwing in the white flag. I'm only going to own this rig for a max of 2 more years. I need something with a bed and is more dependable. I really tried to fight the good fight.

Back